Help me decide...

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, 1st time poster long time lurker... i'd researched here in the past to get the 4-7's AA2 I have now.

Currently using a Petzel Tikka 2 Plus for over a year now, and it's worked well even in great rain. What I don't like about it is the color of the light and the fact that it peters out slowly because it's unregulated. A 35 minute on maximum is a bummer too.

The only reason i'm even thinking about an upgrade is because i'm probably gonna sell my AA2 and i ought to get a replacement which also uses AA. I'm thinking perhaps a zebra light can do double duty as a regular flashlight and a headlamp. I've got my mind set on either a zebra light H51w or H51c. I know there's lots of posts on the H51, but I don't see any that directly compare the warm (neutral whie) to the high CRI version. I want to see what a high powered LED in a warm tint looks like. I've tried to get all my gear to be AAA but this new headlamp idea will break that deal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Whiskeyfox

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks, 1st time poster long time lurker... i'd researched here in the past to get the 4-7's AA2 I have now.

Currently using a Petzel Tikka 2 Plus for over a year now, and it's worked well even in great rain. What I don't like about it is the color of the light and the fact that it peters out slowly because it's unregulated. A 35 minute on maximum is a bummer too.

The only reason i'm even thinking about an upgrade is because i'm probably gonna sell my AA2 and i ought to get a replacement which also uses AA. I'm thinking perhaps a zebra light can do double duty as a regular flashlight and a headlamp. I've got my mind set on either a zebra light H51w or H51c. I know there's lots of posts on the H51, but I don't see any that directly compare the warm (neutral whie) to the high CRI version. I want to see what a high powered LED in a warm tint looks like. I've tried to get all my gear to be AAA but this new headlamp idea will break that deal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Whiskeyfox

You should keep your Quark; it's always good to have both a hand-held and a headlamp.

I have an H51w and it's a fantastic little light. You can EDC it off the headband if you wish; I've tried a few times and just can't get used to the 'perfume bottle' grip necessary to use it as a handheld light.

You might want to look into the Spark ST5-190NW; another great light. I like the form factor over the H51w, which tends to produce glare on my glasses. The Spark is even floodier than the H51, which I like, and the extra strap on the headband makes it more stable. I tend to use the Spark for outdoor activities/tasks, and the H51w for indoors kinds of things. I run both with L91's to save weight.

Don't worry about warm tint for now; try a neutral first and see how you like it. I've been a neutral tint snob for over a year now, and won't buy any light that isn't available in a neutral tint. I am planning on getting a warm tinted light though, probably one of the new Xenos, like the E15.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
Posting here, because I have a similar question and I don't want to open a new thread. I've stopped on those two as well - the H51 and the ST5, because I need AA powered headlamp (for safety reasons).
I love the floody XM-L emitter but can't ignore that Spark's lumens on high (using AA) are way less than Zebralight's --> 120 lm vs 200 lm. How do these two compare in real life, is it that much of a difference ?

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
I'm mostly set on the H51w ---> having said that, you reckon there's anything on the near horizon that might come along to replace it? or is now a good time to buy?

Thanks,
Whiskeyfox

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm mostly set on the H51w ---> having said that, you reckon there's anything on the near horizon that might come along to replace it? or is now a good time to buy?

Thanks,
Whiskeyfox

Zebralight has another headlamp, the H51c, which has a high color rendering emitter in it, that improves color accuracy somewhat over the H51w. I think they also make a floody version of it as well; you might want to check it out. You pay for the increased color accuracy with slightly reduced output.

I use DC-fix diffusion film on both my ZL and my Spark; the ZL's beam is just like a flashlight's beam and is a little on the throwy side, the Spark not so much. I find that for 90% of what I use my headlamps for, flood is better than throw, so you might want to consider that. I think ZL does make an H51Fc model too.

For new stuff that's coming out, I've heard Spark is working on high color rendering lights, but right now that's just an unconfirmed speculation I think. On Zebralight's website, there's a 'compare models' link that takes you to a google docs spreadsheet that shows the specks for current and planned ZL models; they have some interesting stuff in the pipe right now.

In general though, don't wait for the next newest thing, or you'll be waiting forever. It's like buying a computer, in six months the current top of the line model will be the bottom of the line. So consider your needs RIGHT NOW, not in six months or whenever, and buy appropriately. I'd suggest you make a list of the things you'll be using your light for, and check if each one has the following: needs hands-free light, close-up light or light projected a distance, and how much light you want to have. Make a time estimation on some scale, maybe hours per week or minutes per day, that you'll be doing those things, and then purchase accordingly. Also consider what kind of battery source you want to be using. You can go with CR123 or 18650, but I'd recommend you start with the AA format and then go from there. I think any of the ZL or Spark models that run on AA would be fine.

saypat

Enlightened
Might want to check Zebralights website as they have some new models coming at the end of this year.... I have my eye on their AA light with the XM-L emitter and 300 lumens! Patience....

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
One of the things I really like about my Quark AA2 is the fact that I can use the modified Fenix Cone attachment to make a lantern out of it. Is there anything like this for the ZL headlamp?

Thanks again!

WF

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the things I really like about my Quark AA2 is the fact that I can use the modified Fenix Cone attachment to make a lantern out of it. Is there anything like this for the ZL headlamp?

Thanks again!

WF

Only diffusion film. I haven't take it off of mine since I put it on, but I bought the regular one and not the F model under the assumption I could just take the film off when I wanted, but so far I haven't felt the need to. You can have it both ways that way though.

Or, you could just buy the H51Fw.

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so after doing more research, I saw a picture of a H51w next to an H501w... I'd seen the zebralights before but this time I just thought the upgraded the LED, now I see the whole body is changed. The new ones are bigger and heavier... Now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and get the H501w... what do you think?

Thanks!

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
Well guys, I'm giving you folks until 10pm Eastern time tonight... If I don't hear back from you guys with good reasons I'm going to go ahead and buy the older model H501w. Lemme know if I'm making a huge mistake, please.

Thanks,
Whiskeyfox

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
Just got my H501w in the mail today, and boy is this thing SICK! It's much smaller and lighter than I thought it would be, which is a good thing. I pulled out my Petzel Tikka 2 Plus and made some comparisons... The Tikka2 Plus is about 20 grams heavier batteries band and all, and is clearly a spot light. The flood and coloration on the H501w is amazing, and couple that with regulation and better water proofness - it's a no brainer, the ZL wins hands down without even thinking. I think i've read this before, but it could stand to be a tad bit brighter on high, but otherwise an outstanding light. Will definitely give the H502 a try if that ever comes out.