Custom 1D Mag Build with Neutral XML and Rebel Reflector

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
This is a silver mag I have cut down to 1D size (7.625" long), which has the following modifications:

- Rebel deep reflector with heatsink I machined to fit rebel reflector in incan mag bodies with serial number starting in "D" (like this one)
- XML neutral T5 flux bin, 4500K color temp on 20mm star
- shiningbeam 3-mode driver 2.8 amp max current on high
- 22 gauge silver plated teflon coat wiring
- delrin sleeve for 1 18650 snug fit
- deep tailcap mod with aluminum contact plug for 18650
- UCL glass lens

This mod is inspired by many of the modders here on CPF that shorten mags. I am just getting into modding and building flashlights, and this is my second shorty mag mod. Although the triple XML mods seem very popular, I wanted a light with some throw, and from what I've read the Mag rebel reflector is a good choice for throw with fewer beam artifacts than a stock reflector (for an incan host, which this is). I started with shortening the body and re-threading the tail, as well as deepening the tailcap to allow the spring to sit near the bottom. I also made a contact that fits in the tailcap spring to ensure a good circuit when using an 18650. I then turned a delrin sleeve for an 18650 that fits snug to prevent rattle. The most interesting part was designing the heatsink so that the rebel reflector will focus properly. I ended up with a design that is about 1.25" long, with a deep well. I made this one to fit a 20mm star with a snug fit for centering. It is attached with arctic alumina thermal epoxy. The bottom of the heatsink has a shallow cavity to fit the driver, which is a shiningbeam 2.8A 3-mode. I have not decided yet if I will pot the driver in epoxy or just attach it to the heatsink with arctic alumina. And that's about it. I don't think there is anything too original about this mod, except perhaps fitting the incan mag host with a rebel reflector (this may be common too I don't know), but it was a good exercise in modding, which is helpful as I continue to develop my modding style. My next project is a titanium 1x18650 custom light similar to my first custom build (I don't know how to link to other posts yet sorry). It will feature a forward clicky and either 20mm carclo optics or a McR 20 joker with a neutral xml. Back on topic, I really like how this light turned out, and I wanted to put out the word that I am available for modding services, on mags and other lights. I am just starting out, but I'm hoping that this light will serve as a bit of an advertisement of my work (even through the ameteur photography). This light is for sale over on CPF marketplace, although I wouldn't mind keeping it, it's great for lighting things up across a lake or down the street. I will try to put up some pics of the machining process, although at the moment my shop is nowhere near as clean as the other excellent modders who post the pictorials that inspired me to start modding lights. :eek:

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

easilyled

Flashaholic
Excellent work. Reminds me of some Mac and saltytri mods.

Keep me in mind for your Ti 18650 light please. I'm seriously interested. :)

Last edited:

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Will do easilyled, I'm just waiting for some new tooling that should arrive today and I will be starting. I do have a question: would you prefer an 18350 body with an available extension for 18650, or simply an 18650 host? Also, I was considering making the bezel and tailcap out of stainless for durability if dropped. Is that something you would prefer or not?

easilyled

Flashaholic
Will do easilyled, I'm just waiting for some new tooling that should arrive today and I will be starting. I do have a question: would you prefer an 18350 body with an available extension for 18650, or simply an 18650 host? Also, I was considering making the bezel and tailcap out of stainless for durability if dropped. Is that something you would prefer or not?

I would love an 18350 body with extension available for 18650. :thumbsup:

Regarding the bezel and tailcap, I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that 6Al4V Titanium (Grade V) is virtually as hard as many SS alloys. If you are using this grade of Ti, I think I'd prefer the entire light to be made of Ti, if thats ok with you. :)

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely ok with me. I looked it up and you're right, 6al4v titanium is harder than typical stainless alloys. I was mistaken. I am using 6al4v stock. I think the light will look better with an all-ti body anyway, and ti has great corrosion resistance and appears to weather daily carry beautifully. I will keep you updated on any progress. Thanks for the input.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, your excellent documentation on this forum of your mods inspired me to get started with mag mods, and continues to be a invaluable source for information. It took me a while to figure out a fixture to hold mag D bodies for shortening on a 9" South Bend (only 3/4" spindle hole). I ended up making a threaded collar that holds the entire threaded portion of the top of the body, which I chuck in the 4-jaw. Its not ideal but it works and is surprisingly rigid.