Recommended current vs Heat Sinking Question

menthol moose

Newly Enlightened
Good Morning / Afternoon,

Constructing some basic light-sets using Cree XPG and the Easy2LED alloy housing found here.

http://www.easy2led.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181

housing.jpg

To keep costs down, i'm looking at running a fixed current driver and are wondering about the most suitable model.

Would 500ma / 750 ma be ideal ? or could I push this LED / heat-sink combo further to 1A. Any recommendations for a fixed current low cost boost/buck driver also would be appreciated. To keep it simple and to use stuff around the house im going to run 4XAA rechargeables.

Greg

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
nifty product! Too bad the supplier doesn't provide the typical thermal resistance rating that is typical for heatsinks. Without this number, there's no way to predict how hot the LED will get. Running higher current will mean a hotter LED and a shorter lifetime for the LED.

I haven't used any of the standard drivers myself, but LEDSupply does have a decent selection guide to help you pick out the correct driver based on the input and output voltages and current.

good luck,

Steve K.

menthol moose

Newly Enlightened
I cannot recommend that housing enough. Its cheap, well made, the handlebar mount is simple and excellent.

find_bruce

Newly Enlightened
To keep costs down, i'm looking at running a fixed current driver and are wondering about the most suitable model.

Would 500ma / 750 ma be ideal ? or could I push this LED / heat-sink combo further to 1A. Any recommendations for a fixed current low cost boost/buck driver also would be appreciated. To keep it simple and to use stuff around the house im going to run 4XAA rechargeables.

Hi Greg, I have just purchased a few of these as well. They are a nice little housing. I have lashed out on Quazzle's L333 module but that's porbably out of your price range.

There was recently a contest for a build under $80 (inc $25 for housing which you already have) and of the entries manokaiser and Road Runner's would
appear to be along the lines you are thinking.

There have been a few other threads on light set-ups for the housing over on the MTBR forums. While this thread starts off with an L333, at the end of page 1 it starts considering heat dissipation

menthol moose

Newly Enlightened
I actually cancelled the XPG's and other bits from cutter and will go the L333 road. The fraction more you pay for the integration is more than offset by the ease of setup.