1st HID conversion with a few questions

chuckinnc

Newly Enlightened
It's time I make the switch to hid so I ordered a pair of 35w / H3 kits w/ballast. In the ad it said Zenon on high and Halogen on low? Is this the way HID work ? I thought all
H3 bulbs were single element and HIDs were single element.
The Chinese are good at making cheap stuff but not good at answering questions so does anyone know if their ad makes any sense?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
www description doesn't sound right. H3 mounts are usually too small to house a dual/element lamp (HID + INCAN) assembly... Heres one for an H4

hid-bulb-356.jpg

A dual lamp assembly like this is not what you want, unless you specifically are looking to de-focus the beam. Even then, each lamp would cast shadows and create all kinds of beam artifacts.

What you want is an H3 lamp like this:
hid-xenon-bulb-h3.jpg

chuckinnc

Newly Enlightened
After looking back at the specs, that was for the 55w set I was going to get but chose
the 35w for longer runtime. Here is what the 35w ad said:

H3 8000K beam bulbs Xenon HID conversion system kit 35 watt

Hope they arrive soon and I can find out how it compares with the 75w H3 bulbs I will
be switching them out with, both spotlights have 12v 5a SLA batteries so going from
75w down to 35w HID system should help the runtime alot.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
You'll get a longer run time but don't forget to factor in a 20% + ballast inefficiency factor so the 35 Watt is probably consuming 43 watts.

chuckinnc

Newly Enlightened
Ok so it's 43 watts for 35 watt HID. I should still be ahead of the game, compared to
75 watt halogen H3 bulb, if the lumens are equal or close. Is there a conversion or
some guideline like 1 watt of HID equals 2 watts of incandesent?