Spark ST5 question

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
I just saw Marshal's youtube video on the SPARK ST5-210CW and here is where I got confused:
If I'm not wrong, Selfbuilt (on his review of this headlamp), says that you can only reach the "super mode (210lm) with 14500 battery, BUT on his video Marshal shows the 5th mode with 2AA batteries !?! When I asked him about that, he responded that he didn't know if this was the max output but he DID reach the "super mode" with AA only.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is here :thinking:

jankj

Enlightened
I don't have this headlamp, and I haven't read none of those review you have - but I can still speculate :devil:

I'm guessing selfbuilt meant that you won't get the full 210 lumens unless you use 14500 batteries. That doesn't mean that the 5th mode disappears - but that it is not as bright as it can be / should be.

The reason is that regular AA batteries a) have a lower voltage, b) can't give out the power as fast as li-ion 14500 batteries.

You can compare it to having a car with manual transmission and 5 gears. Imagine that you can do 80 mph on the 4th gear and 120 mph on the 5th gear - but only if you use some kind of super fuel. With regular fluid you still get 80mph on the 4th gear, but only 105 on the 5th gear.

That being said, 210 lumens on two AA nimh batteries SHOULD be possible, or at least close to it. (Though i don't know if this really applies to this particular light, with that particular diode. The newest diodes gives more light for less current than what was available just a year or two ago).

To give you a fair comparison, 4sevens state 205 lumens for the quark AA^2 r5 edition. His numbers are real out-the-front ratings, and not some inflated marketing hype.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
My Super mode is only achieved using 14500s. double clicking with AA jumps you to high!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an ST5-190NW and the brightness does increase in the 'super' mode with 14500 compared to nimh or L91. However, on any power source, a double click always puts me in that fifth, highest mode. In fact, you're not even supposed to be able to get to it without the double click; if you hold the power button and let the light cycle through its modes, it only will go through four, not five.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
Ok .. I just received an answer to my e-mail to Spark and here is what they say about that matter:
"When you use AA, the power current on super to led is about 720mah, using 14500 cell, it is 850mah"

So, is it possible (given only these numbers) to tell approximately how many lumens we get from SPARK ST5-220CW on "super mode" by using AA batteries?

I'm sorry if my question is dull but I'm a complete layman on that topic :grin2:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
there was a review on this lamp or the sl5 220 which is the handheld version. I think lumens was measured at just under 300 with 14500 not sure about AA??? IF you are thinking about getting one. Do it!! you won't be disappointed.

Ok .. I just received an answer to my e-mail to Spark and here is what they say about that matter:

So, is it possible (given only these numbers) to tell approximately how many lumens we get from SPARK ST5-220CW on "super mode" by using AA batteries?

I'm sorry if my question is dull but I'm a complete layman on that topic :grin2:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
there was a review on this lamp or the sl5 220 which is the handheld version. I think lumens was measured at just under 300 with 14500 not sure about AA??? IF you are thinking about getting one. Do it!! you won't be disappointed.

I run L91's in mine, and it's plenty bright for my needs.