6 XML flood light with active cooling

netprince

Enlightened
I recently became interested in building a big flood light when I saw the great host idea that Mattaus had in his thread here. The work-light style host works well for an LED array mod.

This light uses a laptop power supply or a laptop supplemental battery pack I picked up at wal-mart. My kill-a-watt measures 25w on med, and 75w on high. Here is a picture of this light...

IMG_5272.JPG

Cooling this many LEDs in this small of a package can be difficult. I had a large heatsink left over from something else, and I found it fits almost perfectly mounted to the back of the light. The LEDs are directly mounted to the heatsink, and the fan easily keeps the heatsink cool. The whole thing barely warms up even on high for hours.

IMG_5277.JPG

IMG_5278.JPG

Here you can see the H6CC driver which powers the LEDs (right side), and the voltage regulator that powers the fan. Together the light has an input range of 10v-22v.
IMG_5279.JPG

Here is the H6CC heatsink, external dimming POT, and power jack. Also, the fan overhangs the heatsink a little because it helps keep the H6CC heatsink cool.
IMG_5280.JPG

I used 3 slightly different tints in my LED array to give a richer color rendition. Two were cool, and four were neutral. The light appears appears very white until you compare it to a truly cool white source.
IMG_5281.JPG

Some outdoor shots (sorry about the focus)
control:
IMG_5287.JPG

medium:
IMG_5288.JPG

high:
IMG_5289.JPG

I decided to try a diffuser:
IMG_5270.JPG

medium:
IMG_5303.JPG

high:
IMG_5305.JPG

I still need to seal the seams a little to help keep out humidity and dust. At least the seams are tight enough to keep most bugs out.

I have already used it once or twice, once at a cookout that went past dark. I'm looking forward to taking it (car) camping.

moderator007

Enlightened
Thats a nice work light you have there.:thumbsup:
Whats the price tag for the build if you don't mind me asking?

netprince

Enlightened
Thats a nice work light you have there.:thumbsup:
Whats the price tag for the build if you don't mind me asking?

I think I have around $125 in it. I had many of the parts on hand, from group buys or from old projects, so its a little hard to know for sure.

moderator007

Enlightened
Very nice build. Thanks for the reply. I bet you had a big smile on your face when you lit her up for the first time.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I inspired someone! lol.

That's very cool, and a nice clean build to boot. I've been meaning to re-build mine (better heatsinking) but I'm thinking of ripping all the LEDs and drivers out and building a bigger more multi-purpose light.

So this thing runs off mains I assume? (seen as you're using a laptop PSU it'd make sense). You mention the input range is 10v-22v, so I guess that means you could theoretically run it off a Deep Cycle 12V battery like I did. If that is the case then this is something I might pursue with my improved light - make it usable around the house as well as out in the wilderness...

netprince

Enlightened
Mattaus: Yeah, it will run with a 12v source. To test it, I have a battery powered air compressor which has a 12v accessory port. It powers the light just fine. Its probably a fairly small battery, so I didn't crank it up much past %50 output. I also have a cigarette lighter cable I adapted for the light. It could be powered from an automotive source, though I would want to be careful to try and avoid automotive voltage spikes (no using power windows?)

Walterk: I set the H6CC for each LED to receive 3A. The 75watt reading on the kill-a-watt supports that figure if you take into account driver losses and power supply losses. Its a lot of power, I would not want the fan to fail! :poof:

350xfire: thanks!

simplec6

Enlightened
So how does the power supply part work? I see you used a laptop battery pack AC adapter but how do you do the port on the light part to connect to the driver?

netprince

Enlightened
So how does the power supply part work? I see you used a laptop battery pack AC adapter but how do you do the port on the light part to connect to the driver?

I cheated a little on that part. Instead of finding the correct socket to match the laptop power supply, I just cut off the tip of the power supply cable and replaced it with a standard barrel type plug. Then I used the matching barrel type socket in the light. It was an unused laptop power supply anyway...

maccc

Newly Enlightened
Great flood light! Cooling system looks preety incredible, but still, doesn't it get too hot after longer usage?

netprince

Enlightened
Great flood light! Cooling system looks preety incredible, but still, doesn't it get too hot after longer usage?

Nope, it doesn't overheat, I've let it run on high all night. I wouldn't even call the heatsink hot actually, it really only just gets warm. I guess thats why I find this light so much fun. Lots of power, no heat issues, fairly wide input voltage thanks to the h6cc and fan voltage regulator, portable battery option...

PapaLumen

Enlightened
The H6CC is a buck driver though, so needs +1v over vf of the leds assuming they are all in series.. So 19-22v. Are they not all in series?

netprince

Enlightened
The H6CC is a buck driver though, so needs +1v over vf of the leds assuming they are all in series.. So 19-22v. Are they not all in series?

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. No, they are wired 3S2P, for 6A at around 10V. I realize 3S2P is not ideal for driving LEDs, but they were selected to try and match the Vf as best as I could. Will just have to see how things progress, and hopefully there wont be any problems.

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Ah gotcha, it had to be the only answer. So they look pretty even in light output then? They should be ok then i'd have thought as you at least tried to match vf's. I may just have to build one of these myself, but as a pir spotlight... just need to figure out how to connect the pir bit to the circuit.

moderator007

Enlightened
I keep running across this thread and every time I do, I keep wondering if it actual even needs the fan.
That heatsink is massive.

Challe_

Newly Enlightened
Really nice light!

A question about the heatsink, how much does it weight? I am planning to make a headlamp with 6 xm-l's too, and wonder if it's possible to make it a little bit smaller so i am able to run with it? :)