Lumintop ED20 (XM-L, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy, as usual. :whistle:

ED20002.jpg

ED20003.jpg

Lumintop has recently come out with a new series of 2xCR123A/1x18650 lights. In this review, I will be looking at the ED20 – a "backup" model light. The light comes in both Cool White and Neutral White tint bins, and I will be testing both here.

Specifications:
  • LED: CREE XM-L Neutral White or Cool White LED
  • Battery: 2 x CR123A / 1 x 18650
  • Operating Voltage: 2.8 - 8.4V
  • Max Output /Runtime : 420 lumens / 2.5 hours
  • Medium Output / Runtime : 80 lumens / 10 hours
  • Low Output / Runtime : 10 lumens / 60 hours
  • Beam Distance: 230 m
  • Coated tempered window resists impact.
  • Aluminium Strike Bezel.
  • Slip-resistant body design
  • Aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized. O-ring Sealed.
  • High ductility steel clip (removable)
  • Rubber Combat Ring with anti-rolling design
  • Push-button tail cap switch with tail-standing design
  • Waterproof: IPX-8
  • Length : 4.72 inches (120.5mm)
  • Bezel Diameter : 1 inch (26mm)
  • Body Diameter : 1 inch (25.4mm)
  • Weight : 3 ounces (84.5 g)
  • MSRP: TBD
ED20001.jpg

Packaging is fairly typical. Inside the cardboard box, you will find the light (with removable grip ring and clip), decent quality holster with closing flap, good quality wrist lanyard, spare o-rings and tailcap boot cover, and manual.

ED20011.jpg
ED20009.jpg

From left to right: CR123A, Lumintop ED20, JetBeam Jet-III ST, Thrunite Neutron 2C, 4Sevens Quark 123-2, Eagletac P20C2-II, Spark SL6

All weights without batteries.

Lumintop ED20: Weight 84.4g, Length 121.6mm, Width (bezel) 25.2mm
Lumintop P16X: Weight 141.4g, Length 157.0mm, Width (bezel) 37.9mm
Lumintop TD-15X: Weight 150.3g, Length 147.3mm, Width (bezel) 37.8mm
Jet-III PRO ST Weight 75.0g, Length 121.5mm, Width 25.0mm (bezel) 23.3mm (body)
Spark SL6: Weight 77.8g, Length: 125.5mm, Width (bezel) 30.9mm
Klarus XT10: Weight 121.3g, Length: 144.8, Width (bezel) 34.9mm

The ED20 certainly fits well into the pocketable "backup" class of 2xCR123A/1x18650 lights. Overall dimensions remind me of my old JetBeam Jet-III ST.

ED20008.jpg

ED20007.jpg

ED20006.jpg

Anodizing is a standard flat black (presumed HA). Knurling is reasonably aggressive, and there is a lot of it on the light (i.e. grip is good, despite the cylindrical body). Removable grip ring and clip further enhance grip. Both also help as anti-roll devices

Square-cut tailcap threads are anodized for tailcap lock-out. :thumbsup: Tailstanding is good. The ED20 has lanyard attachment points in the tailcap.

Note there is no spring in the head, and the anti-polarity feature prevents flat-top 18650 cells from working in the light. :shrug:

The light tailstands stably.

For more information on the build and interface, please scroll down to my User Interface section to see a video review. I plan to offer these on new reviews from now on. :)

ED20020.jpg

The ED20 has a lightly textured OP reflector, reasonably deep for this size light. Neutral White XM-L emitter version is shown above. Emitters were well centered on my samples.

Which brings me to the white-wall beamshots. ;) All lights are on Hi on 1x18650 (AW Protected 2200mAh), about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). All lights are Cool White tints below, with automatic white balance on the camera to minimize minor tint differences.

P16XYes-Beam001.jpg
ED20CW-Beam001.jpg

SL6CW-Beam001.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam001.jpg

P16XYes-Beam002.jpg
ED20CW-Beam002.jpg

SL6CW-Beam002.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam002.jpg

P16XYes-Beam003.jpg
ED20CW-Beam003.jpg

SL6CW-Beam003.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam003.jpg

P16XYes-Beam004.jpg
ED20CW-Beam004.jpg

SL6CW-Beam004.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam004.jpg

The ED20 has a general beam pattern, without a large amount of throw.

User Interface

The ED20 has a simple interface. Soft-press and hold the switch for momentary mode, full-press and release (i.e. click) for locked-on constant output.

To change the constant output mode, with the head fully tightened, soft-press and release the switch while on (or click off/on quickly). Light advances through the repeating sequence Lo > Med > Hi. If you leave it off longer than a few seconds, my samples defaulted back to Lo. But Lumintop informs me the shipping versions will have memory to retain the last setting used. I have no information about specific memory timings.

UPDATE: There is a strobe mode, accessed by simply loosening the head. This triggers the max output fast strobe. Tightening the head returns to constant output modes.

Something new I'm trying out - please see my video review below for more information on build and user interface:

Although recorded in 720p, YouTube has reduced the video to 480p max, 360p default. Once the video is running, you can click on the 360p icon in the lower right-hand corner, and select the higher 480p option. :)

PWM/Strobe

ED20-LoPWM.gif

The ED20 uses PWM only for its lowest mode only, measured a frequency of 800 Hz.

ED20-Strobe.gif

Thed ED20 strobe is a fairly typical fast 9.6 Hz.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

Effective November 2010, I have revised my summary tables to match with the current ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1.htm for a description of the terms used in these tables.

Note: Unless specified otherwise, all lights refer to Cool White versions. Neutral white is noted where appropriate.

ED20-FL1-Summary1.gif

ED20-FL1-Summary2.gif

ED20-FL1-Summary3.gif

Initial max output is reasonable for a XM-L light, and comparable to other general purpose lights in this category. Throw is definitely toward the low end of this class, but entirely consistent with other lights of similar size.

Output/Runtime Comparison:

Note: Unless specified otherwise, all runtimes refer to the Cool White version.

ED20-Hi18650.gif

ED20-Med18650.gif

ED20-Lo18650.gif

ED20-HiRCR.gif

ED20-HiCR123A.gif

Like a number of lights in this class, the ED20 steps down in max output after 5 mins runtime. Overall output/runtime efficiency seems excellent, across all batteries. Although I don't have tint output bin information, the Neutral White version was ~10% lower output than the Cool White version, with comparable runtime, in my testing.

Potential Issues

High capacity flat-top 18650 will not work in the light, due to the reverse polarity feature.

Basic model clip-on style belt clip included

Preliminary Observations

I have a fondness for compact 1x18650-sized lights, given the good returns you get in output and battery life for the size. While typically not great throwers, they make good general purpose lights (e.g. walking at night, etc.), that can still be easily stashed in a jacket pocket. For these reasons, they may also be considered as emergency or backup lights, as the new ED20 bills itself.

The overall build is slim-lined with good ergonomics (i.e. decent knurling for grip, extra grip ring and clip). That said, the build is fairly basic with no real "bling". ;) Despite the tailstanding ability, I still found the forward clicky switch easy to access by thumb or index finger (although it may be difficult with gloves on).

Overall efficiency is excellent on the light, with a good balance of output levels. Lumintop specs seem slightly conservative in its output specs, but quite believable for runtime (note I use the older 2200mAh 18650 cells in my testing). :thumbsup:

The step-down feature at 5 mins on Hi is a reasonable precaution, and one that I'm starting to see on a lot of new lights (note this is easily overcome by clicking off-on, to restore full output). No, the ED20 isn't a great thrower or a massively-high-output light – but it is a well-balanced general purpose light. :)

One thing I missed on my samples was a memory mode to retain the last level set. But Lumintop informs me that will be coming on the shipping versions.

Beam pattern is smooth and reasonable for a general purpose light (i.e. reasonably wide spill). I am sure the option to purchase in either a Cool White or Neutral White tint will be appreciated here. :thumbsup:

The ED20 is another strong option to consider in the compact 1x18650/2xCR123A class of lights.

----

ED20 provided by Lumintop for review.

Last edited:

Bass

Enlightened
This looks to be a great light. I also have a fondness for compact 18650 lights and love my JB ST, such a stylish light (and still looks fresh / contemporary against lights 2-3 years younger in your line up photo IMO)

You don't see too many 18650 lights of this size any more, so it's nice to see Lumintop doing something a bit different. Impressive runtime and high output, one benefit of a more efficient LED driven at a reasonable level. For a 'back up' light, runtime is important to me.

I'll be checking out a neutral XM-L of this when available. Thanks for the review.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review.
The light is small but has strong performance.
It's surprise it is smaller than Spark SL6. :eek:oo:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like your typical high quality, professional, well written, well organized, informative selfbuilt review, thanks for the contribution.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The light is small but has strong performance. It's surprise it is smaller than Spark SL6. :eek:oo:
This looks to be a great light. I also have a fondness for compact 18650 lights and love my JB ST, such a stylish light (and still looks fresh / contemporary against lights 2-3 years younger in your line up photo IMO)
Yes, the Jet-III ST holds up quite well - I still find it to be a stylish light (even though the Jet-III M always got all the glory ;)). The ED20 has a bit less bling, but impresses as a solid little light. While compact, it is fairly thick-walled (e.g. it's heavier than the Spark).

Looks like your typical high quality, professional, well written, well organized, informative selfbuilt review, thanks for the contribution.
Thanks! :wave:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So within 30 minutes of each other I find the ED20 XM-L and Quark 123x2 XM-L are going to be released soon, this is really good news the cylindrical shaped medium size light's are my favorite and it seems like we have been lacking in this area as manufactures figure out how to best incorporate a XM-L in them.

I think this is the first time I've seen a grip ring like that on this type of light and I'm really high on the idea, it seems like it will feel and work great on this light. I love it when a light is well regulated on both 18650 and CR123 just like your runtimes above on the ED20, this light should be really popular and I'm curious what the price will be, I'm guessing around $60 but I wouldn't put it past Lumintop to go a little less.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I think this is the first time I've seen a grip ring like that on this type of light and I'm really high on the idea, it seems like it will feel and work great on this light.
Yes, I find it works well. I generally prefer the softer rubber grip rings, as they have more give and are somewhat "grippy". But some may prefer the harder stop of a metal ring. :shrug:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My bad - there is a strobe mode on the ED20, accessed by simply loosening the head. This triggers the max output fast strobe. Tightening the head returns to constant output modes.

ED20-Strobe.gif

Thed ED20 strobe is a fairly typical fast 9.6 Hz.

yizhiren

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review.:thumbsup:
Could you please take some photo of outdoor use? compare to PD31
Is it a good light for riding?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Could you please take some photo of outdoor use? compare to PD31
Is it a good light for riding?
:welcome:

Sorry, will have to leave to others. The reviews are already an inordinate amount of work, and I don't have the time. To do that properly, you would need to keep re-testing all the control lights repeatedly, under the same specific conditions as the review light. Outdoor conditions vary considerably, and you can't control all the variables needed for proper comparative evaluation if the lights are done at different times.

As for bike riding, I have done little in the dark, but I woud think the ED20 would do well. I haven't had a PD31 in awhile, but I recall it had a comparable spillbeam width (maybe a little wider) - but dimmer than the ED20. Hotpsot on the XML-based ED20 is broader and more diffused than the PD31 would be. I would think the ED20 would work well, as long as you were planning to shine the light right in front of the bike (and not into the far distance).

yizhiren

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Sorry, will have to leave to others. The reviews are already an inordinate amount of work, and I don't have the time. To do that properly, you would need to keep re-testing all the control lights repeatedly, under the same specific conditions as the review light. Outdoor conditions vary considerably, and you can't control all the variables needed for proper comparative evaluation if the lights are done at different times.

As for bike riding, I have done little in the dark, but I woud think the ED20 would do well. I haven't had a PD31 in awhile, but I recall it had a comparable spillbeam width (maybe a little wider) - but dimmer than the ED20. Hotpsot on the XML-based ED20 is broader and more diffused than the PD31 would be. I would think the ED20 would work well, as long as you were planning to shine the light right in front of the bike (and not into the far distance).

:)Thanks so much. I am going to get one.

coudu

Newly Enlightened
selfbuilt said:
Lumintop informs me the shipping versions will have memory to retain the last setting used. I have no information about specific memory timings.

Hi,

I've just recieved my retail version and there is no memory feature, the light defaults to low mode. But it's a great multipurpose pocket light. :D

enlight

Newly Enlightened
oh bummer...a so called "emergency defense" light that comes on in LOW.
I wish the companies would get a clue and have their lights default to maximum output if they want to call them defense or tactical!

A shame since the ED20 is a great size and shape. Is there any way to override or mod the UI to get it to default to maximum when turned on?

Partizan302

Newly Enlightened
I am writing to you because COLLECTIONS is in your interest to my flashlights.
Please help me choose the best flashlight for my problems:
1) Riding a bike
2) EDC
3) use in the household and campaigns
Now choose between 2 models T11 and Klarus Lumintop ED20.
For me, it is important that the light was broad.
Thank you for your help.
Ivan Kuchinsky, Ukraine, Crimea.