LED amp/draw question.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I just happened to look at these lights and it says that the ten LED in 12v configuration draws 4.5 amps. Isn't that a lot?

That's nominally 54W, and 5.4W per LED. Not really a lot at all.

Some low-beam headlights consume 55W, so that's about 4.6A at the mythical "12V" in an automotive electrical system.

And yes, I know these are work lights, not headlights, but it's still not a whole lot of current.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It depends what is meant by "a lot". It's in the same neighborhood as (a little lower than) most common legal-wattage halogen automotive bulbs. What is behind your question...what makes you ask?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, nah, just sounded a lot, that's all and since I'm a bit stupid, I thought I'd ask just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks guys

George

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
I think I see your point George. For 1500 lumen, that seems like too much power. 1500 lumen / 54 watts = 27 lumens/watt. It is that simple, yes? It is probably expensive also?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's what I thought and although I couldn't find the prices, yes, prolly expensive. I've seen other stuff with the same power with less draw which is why I wondered..

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I see your point George. For 1500 lumen, that seems like too much power. 1500 lumen / 54 watts = 27 lumens/watt. It is that simple, yes? It is probably expensive also?

The 9006 puts out about 1000lm at 55W (about 18lm/W). Granted, the 9006 emphasizes bulb life over intensity and filament luminance, but in a well-designed headlight it can be sufficient for its purpose.

However long the bulb life, the 9006's ouput declines over time, due to filament evaporation. The LEDs will also decline over time, but by then the whole assembly may have been replaced anyway. The LEDs also have such advantages as vibration resistance and lower heat output to the front of the lamp. It may even be possible to dim them (depending on the electronics in use in that assembly), and such dimming comes without the yellowing/oranging/browning that comes with dimming a filament bulb.

evilc66

Enlightened
Something seems odd about the numbers posted. I'm willing to bet the 12v current draw is a typo, as the 24v draw is only 1.5A (36W), which seems more reasonable for the amount of light emitted.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something seems odd about the numbers posted. I'm willing to bet the 12v current draw is a typo, as the 24v draw is only 1.5A (36W), which seems more reasonable for the amount of light emitted.

I'd say it depends on how they do voltage regulation. Maybe the current rating is a typo for the 24V lamp! At any rate, the amperage will almost certainly not be exactly half that of the 12V lamp.

evilc66

Enlightened
Never claimed it would, but you have to agree that there is a huge disparity there that would indicate a typo of some sort.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, at least it shows I'm not a total dumba$$

I feel soo much better..