Camping trip: need help narrowing down

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I am going on a camping/hiking trip and need an advice for getting a headlamp.

I am deciding between

1) Fenix HL21 (35$)
2) Princeton Tec EOS ($29)
3)Princeton tec remix ($34)
4) Princeton tec quad ($30)
5) Princeton tec Fuel

I have a quark 2aa and a fenix ld20 already so i dont really need too much throw i think.. Also, i only want to use AA and AAA batteries. Preferabbly lithium if it works with the light too.

Which would you recommend? I really dont want to spend more than $35.

Thanks!

Last edited:

goose2283

Newly Enlightened
The only light on your list I have any experience with is the Princeton EOS. The UI is functional, but not great. Mine had a warmish tint with a bit of a green cast. I ran it exclusively on lithium primaries, right up until I forgot it on a trip out of town. I'd happily own one again. It's a great light.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Does the new eos 70 lumen have better spill than past editions? If yes, i think i may go for that. I would want something around the campsite, so i hope that it has enough spill at lower levels without modding?

Would the eos still be good as a reading light at night on lower settings?

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
the 70 lumen model has more spill than the old 25 lumen model but its spill also has a harder cutoff which hinders its usefulness for close use.

the lowest level on the Eos is still pretty bright. it's not uncomfortable for reading but if you're expecting a really low, low you might be disappointed.

even with these issues the Eos is still probably the best headlamp in your price range and if i had to choose from your list i'd get an Eos and diffuse the beam by slapping some DC Fix on the lens.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you diffuse it I'd agree with Robo. However, I think you can now get a Black Diamond Spot in your price range (since the Storm came out).

That has a separate flood mode, a red LED, and lower and higher levels (with ramping).

You can't go wrong with the EOS but you will need to diffuse the beam as it does have a very hard cut off.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
the black diamond spot is still $40.

I want to be able to get the light by this friday.
Where can i get the diffuser lens for the EOS (and that would make it pretty pricey).

Those 2 lights much better than the fenix or the quad?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
the "diffuser lens" isn't a lens, it's an adhesive material called DC Fix. you can either get a full roll of it at Berlin Wallpaper, or get a small piece of it from one of the sellers on CPFMarketplace.

if you're in a hurry, the Eos should work well enough without diffusion. diffusion would be nice, but not really necessary.

the Quad is a nice light. it's designed to be more of a flood light than the Eos. if you don't plan on hiking at night and just need a headlamp for walking around the campsite, the Quad might work better for you. the beam tint is a little bit blue, but if you don't mind that, you might find the wider spread of the beam more useful. assuming you live in the US, these are like $25 on Amazon. is you live near a Sport Chalet, they have these on sale for $15.

i really can't comment with any confidence on the Fenix except to say that it can't be used effectively with alkalines and the medium is brighter than it should be .

Last edited:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
the "diffuser lens" isn't a lens, it's an adhesive material called DC Fix. you can either get a full roll of it at Berlin Wallpaper, or get a small piece of it from one of the sellers on CPFMarketplace.

if you're in a hurry, the Eos should work well enough without diffusion. diffusion would be nice, but not really necessary.

the Quad is a nice light. it's designed to be more of a flood light than the Eos. if you don't plan on hiking at night and just need a headlamp for walking around the campsite, the Quad might work better for you. the beam tint is a little bit blue, but if you don't mind that, you might find the wider spread of the beam more useful. assuming you live in the US, these are like $25 on Amazon. is you live near a Sport Chalet, they have these on sale for $15.

i really can't comment with any confidence on the Fenix except to say that it can't be used effectively with alkalines and the medium is brighter than it should be .

There is a sports chalet near me but I just called them, and they dont even have it in stock. I would love to pick one up for $15. Did you see them in an ad?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
There is a sports chalet near me but I just called them, and they dont even have it in stock. I would love to pick one up for $15. Did you see them in an ad?

you can ask if they can transfer one from another store, but that may take a week or so depending on your location. my local store was able to do that for me on a closeout deal they had a few months ago on the old Eos but it took a few days. the service should be free.

here's the product link on their website.

Last edited:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
you can ask if they can transfer one from another store, but that may take a week or so depending on your location. my local store was able to do that for me on a closeout deal they had a few months ago on the old Eos but it took a few days. the service should be free.

here's the product link on their website.

That one looks like the old version...since the button is grey right? How come some of them have the grey button and some have the yellow?

Is this the old version http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KCX4NE/?tag=cpf0b6-20 ?

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my 70 lumen version of EOS through Amazon (using another dealer) for $35 shipped. If you need it by Friday that's not going to help however.

I just checked and the BD Spot is available for $28 or less than $35 including shipping at Eastern Mountain Sports online.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Ya I can wait.

Narrowed my choices to:

Black diamond spot
Princeton tec EOS
Princeton tec quad

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
I've had an EOS for nearly 2 years, and if it clunked out on me tomorrow, I feel I've gotten $35 worth of use out of it. I use it at least once a week, mainly for cooking at night, either camping or on the grill at home. I only have experience with one of your other initial choices, the Remix, which I bought for my dad for his b-day. He loves it, and while I haven't played with it much, it's still a nice light as well.

You probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I think the EOS is a great "bang for your buck" headlamp, based on my use.

P.S. I did place some Scotch tape over the lens of my EOS, and while it doesn't work as a true diffuser, it does soften the light a bit

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
the black diamond spot is still $40.

I want to be able to get the light by this friday.
Where can i get the diffuser lens for the EOS (and that would make it pretty pricey).

Those 2 lights much better than the fenix or the quad?

The Spot on amazon is $36 w/ free s/h. But I've read some complaints here with it, and the Storm seems better and is only a few bucks more at $42, I'd spend the extra $6 if you were looking at that one.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Of the group you have, I like the EOS. I have used the older version and it is a nice light. But I replaced it with the Apex a couple of years ago.

Can I make another suggestion..The petzl Tacktikka. It has several color lenses, but one of them is a diffuser. It just slides into place when needed and slides out of the way when not. Might be out of your price range tho.

http://www.rei.com/product/737855/petzl-tactikka-xp-adapt-led-headlamp

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
I would go for the Fenix. I prefer AA batteries and since you already have the Quark and LD20 you only have to bring along one type of battery.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I also plan on using AA battery so thats a good point, though not sure about the fenix headlamp, have not looked into that one in great detail.

My camera is AA as well as the mini mag I carry backpacking. I plan on getting a headlamp and replacing my mini mag with a more modern light and keep everything on the AA format. You can also get an AA usb charger so you can charge your phone/portable devices with AA's too.

Last edited:

Latest posts