SunwayLED
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changing LED Tint With Filters

Flashaholic

Default Re: Changing LED Tint With Filters

Why do you seem sulky? I only gave you a hint, where to search. I didn't ever assume that you are in Germany, I just gave a hint for what to look after.
    Maglite 3D // MTE SSC-P7-C // 47's Quark 123˛ NW XP-G R4 // HDS Rotary R1S-200 + Lee Filter 206 quarter CT orange // 4Seven's Preon 2 highCRI SaTi // green Thrunite Ti

Not sulky, just seems strange this thread is a few months old and it doesn't seem like there is a sure fire place of where to buy these. The guys at the link in the first post actually canceled my entire order of 13 swatch books. I was expecting them to keep the 2 I ordered still in tact, since they emailed me that the max they allow is 2.

Now I'm probably needing to find a new place to order these. Where are all the other people in this thread that did wind up buying these swatches where did they buy them from and how did they get around the idea you have to be a pro photographer apparently in order to even buy these $2 swatches?

Flashaholic

Maglite 3D // MTE SSC-P7-C // 47's Quark 123˛ NW XP-G R4 // HDS Rotary R1S-200 + Lee Filter 206 quarter CT orange // 4Seven's Preon 2 highCRI SaTi // green Thrunite Ti

$6 shipping for a $2 item? No way that's happening. That's why I ordered 13 initially from leefilters to be able to rationalize the 10.90 shipping rate.

Not sure if this is any help or not as I didn't page through all of the available "Lee" stuff but perhaps you can find what you are looking for here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

I have the data for the minus green filter and plan to run a simulation with the Cree XM-L in the next week or so. I'm curious about the drop in output myself.

I didn't see any swatchbooks on the B&H Photo site, I actually looked this morning when I was getting the brush off from leefilters and they sell the filters but not the swatchbooks.

Sorry. I assume you have checked this one too? If it's another deadend I'll stop!

http://goknight.com/lee-filters-swat...gners-edition/
    Last edited by Harold_B; 11-29-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Typo - my fat fingers...

That's a help they carry the filter sheets and the designer swatch book. I might consider buying a few sheets along with the Swatchbook if I know they will be useful. I recall the rose pink being used as well as the bastard amber.

Beacon, I think most of us just ordered the swatch book from Lee. I saw on the product page the order limit for two books, and the first is only a penny with the code "SWATCH". No mention of needing to be a professional. They ship in an "if it fits it ships" $5 USPS box, and I think they only charge $5.20 S&H. So for a little over $7, you get two books, which will do a lot of lights. I thought I would end up needing a lot of the same two or three tints, but all lights are a bit different, and in the end I have used almost all different swatches for each light I've done, so still plenty to go on the first book.

I bet if you place a clean web order for two books, they will come to you just fine.

I've killed a lot of ugly with these now, and turned some "blah" into "oooh!" as well.
    Last edited by Hondo; 11-30-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Derek Dean,

I now have four of those Lee Filters Swatch books. I have been playing around with them. They definitely have an effect in changing tint. I intend to play around with the diffusion filters to see if I can make my HCRI Preon 2 more floody.

Thanks for letting us all in on this 'secret'!

Your welcome, Harry. I'm glad your having fun with the filters. I am too!

I just love my new Zebralight SC600 (the cool white version), and since the bezel has no locktite, it's super simple to add filters and I've kind of gone nuts this week.

Here's what I've been up to:

The players:

Here is the color checker target I used (Thanks Andrew K. Dart!!!):
    http://www.ae5d.com/mcc.html

I printed it on my Epson 2200 inkjet printer and had the print on a wall in a dark room with the camera 3 feet from it, with the SC600 mounted on top of the camera, also 3 feet from the wall. My Canon G10 was in manual mode with the white balance locked to DAYLIGHT. ASA 400, 1/15th second at F 4.5.

After a lot of reading I've come to the conclusion that with a current controlled light like the the SC600, it's important to do my filter testing at a lower level, so all shots were with the light in the M2 level (21 lumens). This is important because the light always tends to look whiter at the higher light levels, but it shows it's "true color" at the lower levels.

And now, here is my first animated .gif. Enjoy:

So far, I'm leaning towards the Light Salmon. It's got a tiny bit of a warm pink tint, which is exactly what I like, so I'm going to live with that for a week or so and see how I like it.

I included the Sunset Red, Dark Amber, and Rust because I'm finding I enjoy having a candle light tint for tail standing the light when I'm getting ready for bed at night. The Sunset Red is the winner for that task. Very restful indeed.

I've also taken some side view photos of the beams on a white wall and I'll post a .gif of those when I get a chance.... they are very interesting.

Keep those reports coming in .

WOW!

Flashaholic

On my monitor the pale salmon 153 looks the best for me.
    Good comparison shots.

I've found this to be an interesting experiment, because I learned a lot about how looking at pictures on a monitor can't really tell the whole story about how a beam looks in actual use.

For instance, I'm finding that while I do value a light that render colors accurately, that's not necessarily the top criteria for me at this point. More important is a beam tint that pleases some innate inner sense that I can't even quite find words for, and that I think will be just a little different for each person, which simply reinforces what I've thought was the value of using filters all along...... the ability to customize the tint of each light to please each individual's personal taste.

Also, I want to preface this next animated .gif with a bit of explanation about what I think is going on. I'm not sure if it is the XM-L itself, or the design of the SC600 reflector, but there seem to be two quite distinct areas of tint contained within the beam, and it's quite evident in this series, with the unfiltered light showing a green/yellow spot surrounded by a bluish spill.

When applying the filters, I'm able to get the central spot to a point that looks very nice using the Light Salmon filter, but it does leave a slight pinkish tint in the spill. I've found that doesn't bother me, but it might bother some folks, which is why I'm mentioning it. The side views that look almost neutral in the spill tend to have a center spot that is too warm for my taste, so in reality it's a bit of a balancing act to find the right filter for this particular situation.

Personally, I find the center spot to be the most important area, and place greater weight on getting that right. In any case, I'm quite happy with the tint I've ended up with, and will probably do some outdoor shots to try and show how it looks in the real world. Ok, on with the show.

Again, shot with my Canon G10 in manual mode with the white balance locked to DAYLIGHT. ASA 400, 1/160th F4.5. The SC600 was in the M2 level (21 lumens).

Default Re: I'm an LED tint snob!

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    I don't know if I'm a tint snob, but I was genuinely surprised when my wife said that she preferred cool white over warm high CRI because the former looked brighter. She didn't care a whit about accurate color rendering.

That is because CRI has nothing to do with accurate color rendering. It is only about how accurate a light source renders compared to a blackbody radiator (when under 5000k). Above 5000k, it is compared to the sun. Given our millions of years of evolution (no religious arguments accepted here), I can't really see much evolutionary pressure on our eyes to adapt to blackbody radiator light sources under 5,000K in terms of color rendering as generally those sources were either dangerous, or fairly low level.

You are not going to have much ability to differentiate different colors of blue if there is little blue content in the light source as would be the case with a <3000K black body light source so really how accurately is that source rendering blue?

Semiman

Flashaholic

Great thread Derek Dean, i have been comparing all my lights side by side and although they are all cool white r2, r5, xml, none are the same. They all seem vary in tint, with the best to my eye being my little zl h31 [ sc600 close 2nd] after white wall and outside use. I think this is great and inexpensive way to tweek your light to your liking- i guess the more lights i buy, the more variance ill see. Looking forward to trying these on the sc600-marty.

Thank you Derek and all participants of this thread !!! I used Lee Filters contact page on Monday and i was pleased to receive the famous Swatch Book Designer Edition on Satursday, for free !!! As i live in europe and i can't order it from the Lee US webshop, i just asked where to order it....and they sent me a sample .

With my Sunwayman M10A (XP-G R5), i'm quite pleased with the 279 "Eight Minus Green", but i'll try with the above selection for my PA40.
    I'm also making tests with diffusion filters, making beams even more pleasants.
    Last edited by nanucq; 12-04-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Has anyone tried this with an E01? Maybe mine might actually be usable...

Enlightened

First - Thank you Derek! I purchased swatch books a few weeks ago, and finally got around to playing with them last night. These are fantastic. I started with a Propolymer 2 AA that had been relegated to non-use because of blue tint and splotchy beam. A bit of Straw 103 and Hampshire Frost 253 has given it a buttery smooth, slightly warm tint that is now my most pleasant light. Still bright enough to be very useable around the house (and it wasn't very bright to start with). Next up was a Surefire G2L that lives in my truck. Never liked the stark cool tint. I like this one with Straw also, but may go with Marlene 506. It gives it a very slightly pinkish tint. I'll play with this more tonight.

I haven't purchased any lights for quite a while, waiting for neutral/warm versions to become available. I'm afraid now I WANT cool lights, to be able to customize them to the perfect tint. I can't decide between an SC600 and SC600w. Life has become wonderfully complicated.

Thanks again.

Dave

Hey Dave, I'm glad the filters are working out for you. I wish all of life's decisions were as pleasant as choosing between an SC600 and an SC600w . You'll be happy either way!

Derek Dean,

I finally left the 'playing' phase and settled on two mods I have wanted for some time.

I have the Neutral White Thrunite Neutron AA but it has the occasional mode switching problems which a good clean has sorted but I just don't trust it as of yet. I have the Cool White model as well which has absolutely no defects and an excellent beam profile (for my uses). An hour ago I used No 147 Apricot and inserted a cutout circle behind the screw in bezel of the Cool White Neutron. The tint is now just the same beautiful creamy neutral of the NW Neutron with just a hint more warmth - which is just what I wanted.

The second mod was to two of my Fenix MC11 lights. I use two at work where the pure white of the R2 led is perfect in cutting out artifacts from the artificial lighting in the office which keeps changing because the lighting is motion activated.

At home however I have one MC11 as a headlamp and the other as a general use utility light. I wanted both to be very warm. Having recently received two HCRI Preons I loved the warm tint but wanted it to be even warmer to give a cosy and comforting ambiance when I am reading or lighting my way in the garden. Also the headlamp form and increased battery life over the Preon would be an advantage at home. For reading I wanted the effect when reading my Kindle to be like firelight.

I can say that the two Fenix MC11 lights for home use are now the warmest lights I possess short of an incandescent lantern (and the candles I have), The tint is absolutely perfect to create the comforting and relaxing ambiance I wanted. I used the no 237 C.I.D. (TO TUNGSTEN) filter to get the effect I wanted.

I am certain I will be ordering some more Lee Filters Swatch books in January (when they won't get lost in the mail!). I am fortunate to know someone who is involved in sound and lighting for theatrical and church productions so he will be able to assist me in my endeavors to get the tints I want.

Derek Dean I now look forward to a very relaxing Christmas as some of my favourite lights will help create just the mood and lighting effect I want.

Like yourself I no longer worry too much about the tint of the led. I am more interested in its efficiency, beam profile and CRI rating. I can now buy a light without worrying if I will find the tint pleasant to use when it arrives. I can just change that as I want.

Edit: Just to note that I used No 147 Apricot on my Thrunite Ti. I love this as a nightlight but my view is a light used for such a role should preferably be warmer so it is even more useful at 0.04 lumen in keeping you in that half sleep state. The light is now as warm as I could wish. I am pretty happy with the results of my filter mods today.
    Last edited by Harry999; 12-10-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Add info about another Mod.

Harry, thanks for that detailed report of your successful filter uses.

I sincerely feel that this is the best $5 a CPF member can spend towards improving the quality of their lights, and I'm happy to hear that other folks are enjoying their filters as much as I am.

Hi

I have owned the sc600 for a while now and love it for edc. The only gripe I have had with it is the green tint. Thanks to your info on lee filters I have now got a nice tint that I like. I have ended up with two filters to acheive my prefered tint. I have number 203 (1/4 C.T. BLUE) and number 249 (QUARTER MINUS GREEN).

I was worried about loosing some output but after spending time comparing I can tell no difference in throw at all. It took less than two minutes to cut and apply the filters. Obviously its the choosing that takes time.

Thankyou very much, my fave edc is now even better.

Rob

I have decided to get the Zebralight SC600. The animated gifs above with the pale and light salmon filters have sold it to me. They should be in stock shortly at my UK retailer and I will be getting some AW3100s as well to feed the light! Can't wait for this light to get into my hands - I love floody beams!

Just to update - the SC600 arrived today. Within 10 minutes I had tried out various Lee Filters and discovered that my favourite was Light Salmon. That light now has an absolutely beautiful tint and I am trying to find excuses to switch it on so I can admire the tint.

Regards

Harry

Hey Harry, I'm glad you got your SC600..... what a great light. I started off with Pale Salmon in my SC600, which does give a lovely tint, but after a few weeks finally decided that I wanted more of a neutral light, with as little "tint" as possible, so I've ended up using the Light Pink filter, which gives me almost pure white light, and because it's a lighter filter I've increased the output as well.

I've also created a little holder with a Tungsten filter that fits over the end of the SC600 which I use at night. When I'm getting ready for bed I ceiling bounce it and it's got a seriously nice glow which is also more pleasant for those late night bathroom visits.

Enjoy your new light .

Derek Dean,

It is indeed a great light. I really like the SC600. I was tempted to get an SC600w as well but realised I could probably get a neutral/warm tint of my choice using the filters so at this stage I won't worry about that.

I agree with you that a warmer light at night is a good idea. I recently purchased a Jetbeam RRT-0 on the CPF marketplace which has a HCRI XP-G led in. I know I like that tint from my Preon HCRI so that will make an ideal night light. I would have considered trying to use a filter on my Jetbeam RRT-0 S2 but could not remove the bezel and I have not yet found a clear adhesive that can be used to attach filters conveniently. The great thing on the Jetbeam RRT-0 is how low you can dial the lumens especially if you are feeding it eneloops. It is like a Surefire Titan except in AA form (and of course much bigger!).

Has anyone had the opportunity to test a light before and after with a couple of different filters in an integrating sphere to measure the reduction in output? I have been too busy to finish a model and run a simulation and there's nothing like real data.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_B View Post
    Has anyone had the opportunity to test a light before and after with a couple of different filters in an integrating sphere to measure the reduction in output? I have been too busy to finish a model and run a simulation and there's nothing like real data.
    Hi Harold,
    I have bought an AEMC CA813 light meter with photopic response filter that I was going to build a HMIS with, but have not had the time. If you'd like I can give some 1M lux readings. I don't have a Jetbeam or SC600, but almost any and all of the 4Sevens lights, Spark SL5(NW) & SL6(NW), Skilhunt's Ramble series(Defiers too large of bezel), Inova X1(V2 XP-E) & X5, and several LED upgraded Mini Maglights. Just let me know which light and Filters I should try, and I give a whirl.

Derek Dean,
    I have Three Preon2s(R5), one fitted with Red, (1) Blue and (1) Green filters. I am going to try that experiment suggested a couple months ago by shining them against a AAA Eneloop battery with a white back drop, but have not gotten a suitable white peice of cardboard to use for a curved backdrop. Do you think it will work with just using computer paper as a back drop? I will take some beamshots when I finally get the experiment setup and post them.

GL

Thanks GL. Any light will do. I'm interested in the filter number so that I can pull the spectrum data and the before and after output data. If you happen to have any information handy on the LED that is in the reference light all the better but not required if you can give me enough information to track it down myself. It's always a matter of not enough time to do the fun stuff....