Banggood Network
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Sent from my iWhatever"

Default Re: "Sent from my iWhatever"

Quote Originally Posted by bansuri View Post
    I check CPF and CPFM frequently at work on my iPad, but it doesn't leave a mobile sig when I post like Tapatalk does.
    There is an option to turn it off, settings, signature, off.
    Norm

Why target just iXXXXXXX devices? Blackberries, relies and very other stupid smart (stupid) phone have these signatures.

Sent from my Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial Ale! (2nd one so far as I wait for the hurricane)

I think it's a little bit annoying at best, I usually just ignore it. What I find more annoying is when people feel the need to type out their name at the end of each post they type as a signature of sorts.

blah blah blah
    (name)

blah blah blah
    (name)
    My Lights Here

ebow sorry to upset you, just a habit for me, which I doubt I'll change.
    Norm

Yeah, that's nothing. Annoying is people who feel the urge to put every light they own in their signature and completely screw up the search functionality of this site to produce usable results!

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Yeah, that's nothing. Annoying is people who feel the urge to put every light they own in their signature and completely screw up the search functionality of this site to produce usable results!
    couldn't agree more.

I use my phone to call people, text if necessary, and use Google if I have a burning question in my mind and I'm riding passenger in a car or am in a restaurant. I staunchly refuse to join the iPhone generation... My simple $100 phone is enough... Cell phones give you cancer anyway..

Sent from my Grandma's basement...

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Norm
    I have a hard time not doing it myself....I believe it to be a legacy from years of handwritten notes.

Chic-

....nevermind

Norm
    Norm, I had never even noticed you did that until now, LOL, no, when I wrote that I actually had another member in mind, one who feels the need to abberivate his name after each post, sorry if I offended you, didn't mean anything by it.
    Last edited by ebow86; 08-27-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    My Lights Here

I chuckled a little bit when I saw the title of this thread. I wont ever buy anything that starts with a little 'i'. Not that theyre poor or anything like that but to me these new trendy phones are that - trendy, with cool effects and eye candy. My phone is pretty old school I guess at about 5 years old but will do practically anything the newer ones will, just without pinching the screen of flicking stuff around. Personally I like the more computer style interface.
    Last edited by DIΩDΣ; 08-27-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by DIΩDΣ View Post
    I chuckled a little bit when I saw the title of this thread. I wont ever buy anything that starts with a little 'i'. Not that theyre poor or anything like that but to me these new trendy phones are that - trendy, with cool effects and eye candy. My phone is pretty old school I guess at about 5 years old but will do practically anything the newer ones will, just without pinching the screen of flicking stuff around. Personally I like the more computer style interface.
    Nothin wrong with old school! I recently retired my Palm V for a Palm TX for work. Have every bit of information for all manufacturing operations including programs for the Bandit controllers, all steps and details for each part, on and on. Whole shop in the palm of my hand. The problem with old stuff is getting replacement parts and whole units, as I'm sure you'll find out eventually, which is why I upgraded to the TX, should have a few good years in her yet.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond has a great point. It took me a while to figure out why some threads would come up that had nothing to do with my search.

[remainder of post moved to CPF Cliché thread - DM51]
    Last edited by DM51; 08-28-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    HDS - The light that gets you home.

Flashaholic

I didn't even know my Tap could talk, let alone send messages

I usually send mine through the National optometry number, 1800-EYE-CARE
    Last edited by bedazzLED; 08-28-2011 at 02:27 AM.
    Flashlight Selection Process: Pick any two, and only two of the following: Bright, Cheap, Long-Runtime.

Hi ebow86, I hope you have a great day.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 09-04-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Made a new friend.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate!

I am proud to be using an old cell phone with no browser, no camera, no fancy gizmos, and no "sent from my whatever"attachedd to it. My phone does exactly what a cell phone is supposed to do, make calls andreceivee them that's it. No need to web browse, or watch video's, or take pictures. If someone else wants to do that with their phone, more power to them, but I'm perfectly happy with this old phone that does what it's supposed to do. Long live retro
    Last edited by ebow86; 09-04-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    My Lights Here

When I got my new HTC phone, I deleted the "sent from my HTC Desire" on my email. As someone pointed out, it makes sense when replying to an email so the recipient knows your not you're not at a computer and on the go.
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    When I got my new HTC phone, I deleted the "sent from my HTC Desire" on my email. As someone pointed out, it makes sense when replying to an email so the recipient knows your not you're not at a computer and on the go.
    That's a great point that I missed since I never read this whole thread.
    My Lights Here

I too see it as a form of advertising, but I also see the utility of letting folks know you won't be responding with a lengthy reply.

Sent from the center of my consciousness about three inches above and behind the actual material that houses my brain.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

shldnt shrtnd wrds clue ppl n 2 when some1s on the fone?

Personally, I believe that since the phone already has a microphone, why not enable speech recognition for text input? Easier to correctly type one or two words that didn't translate just right than to correctly type a full sentence or two.

Really drives my crazy, first thing I turned off when I got my iPhone.

Sent from the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    shldnt shrtnd wrds clue ppl n 2 when some1s on the fone?

Personally, I believe that since the phone already has a microphone, why not enable speech recognition for text input? Easier to correctly type one or two words that didn't translate just right than to correctly type a full sentence or two.
    Hmm that might work in some situations but try doing that in a crowded office with your fellow workers (and boss)... I wouldnt recommend it!

Flashaholic*

I don't know how much speech recognition has improved in the last year but when I tried it on a computer using the weird speech recognition they give you for free with Microsoft vista it was really awefull. I believe it would make it more difficult to make messages quickly than just typing it because I'd be too busy laughing at the hilarious mistakes the speech recognition makes to correct them. I'm on an itouch and it only took me about 50 seconds to type this
    Last edited by JacobJones; 09-01-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typo. Only one fortunately but if i was using speech recognition it would be about 20
    I cannot pretend to feel impartial about tint colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.
    ~Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconti View Post
    First thing I disable with a new device. No free advertising for you.
    Good point.

Not only do individual owners of the Smartphones don't get anything in return for the advertising that automatically pops up in their posts, but neither do the Admins. or owners of the sites.

I find it surprising that that form of free advertising isn't banned on forum sites. It just seems to be accepted as slightly annoying at best. Yet if someone ended all of their posts with "Eat at Joe's. Good food at low prices. Kids eat free. Conveniently located at . . . ," they'd likely get a warning for that type of free advertising; especially since it would be part of the posts instead of in the sig line.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

It would probably be better if the line said: "Sent from my mobile device," rather than from whatever brand the thing is.

That would be enough to explain that you can't type long replies easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    It would probably be better if the line said: "Sent from my mobile device," rather than from whatever brand the thing is.

That would be enough to explain that you can't type long replies easily.
    Ah, but that's the thing; it's not about explaining that the user can't type out a long and detailed response to a post. It's all about free advertising. Some money-hungry jackass sat down and came up with a creative and annoying way of getting it. Probably figuring, correctly as it seems, that the average user wouldn't bother with switching it off.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Yep, they try to slip them in anywhere possible...won't be long and they'll start putting ads into our dreams.

As mentioned many times throughout this thread, it's a setting, turn the damn thing off.
    Norm

Flashaholic

I find it annoying myself! I see no reason to have it on by default!
    Just for laughs I will do this
    -sent from my Zune HD
    Yeah I have it turned off!

I find it annoying also, with one exception: it does help to explain typos when you see a sigline indicating that the message came from a very tiny keyboard.

-----
    Sent by my fingers

Sent from my iLight

Flashaholic*

I'm using an iPod touch and I also find it anoying, I turned it off ages ago. it comes across as gloating.

Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm rich and want to let the whole world know
    I cannot pretend to feel impartial about tint colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.
    ~Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast