Outdoor running - max Lumen for about 200 USD?

plengqui

Newly Enlightened
Which headlamp gives best brightness for the buck?
Usage: orienteering (running in the woods with map)

I dream of lamps such as LEDX Cobra, Petzl Ultra, Lupine Betty, but I am on a tighter budget (unless you know a reseller where they are cheap): about 200 USD.

Belt battery and cables is not a problem. Bulky battery is not a problem. 90 minutes burn time or more.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Fenix headband, and two lights to fill it?
That would put you at $100.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
If you can hold out until the planned release date of Sept., Zebra Light's new H600 or H600w is supposed to be around 750 lumens with a good runtime. Looks promising.

Last edited:

plengqui

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies! Good suggestions.
I will def look out for the H600w.

But perhaps I should have mentioned that what I am hoping for is more lumen for the buck than the HA-III Cree SSC P7-C from Dealextreme (900lm/$77), which I own.

Is DYI an alternative for saving cost?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running with a headlamp is not my area of expertise, but I'd guess that runners would likely prefer something that offers a good combination of light weight (for comfort) and output. In my mind, other options to consider might include the ZebraLight headlamps that run on single AA batteries like the 200 lumen H51. I'd think the idea of something that would run on readily-available rechargeable AA batteries would be appealing. And in a pinch, a couple of AA alkaline batteries could be easily/cheaply purchased if ever needed at just about any store (not so with CR123A or especially with 18650 batteries).

I also think that dedicated headlamps more or less permanently attached to their headbands take a hit on lack of versatility. For someone who wants it only for running, hey -- that's not necessarily a big deal. But I love the fact that headlamps like those that ZebraLight offers have so much extra (and easy) functionality for other uses in that they can be quickly and easily removed from their headband holders and used for other purposes. Sure, a standard headlamp can be used for other purposes just by turning it on, but it will be clunky in its versatility compared to something like an end-standing ZebraLight (also wearable on a pocket clip and many other ways).

The new ZebraLight H600 might also be a bit heavy for comfort at around triple the weight of one of their AA options -- but I don't run with anything like this, so I don't know for sure how much difference that weight might make to a runner. Maybe it would be just fine.

The options from Spark might be really nice to consider. Certainly by now I'd think there would be other runners who have tried those and provided feedback somewhere...(?)

Increased weight (and "clunkiness") issues might apply to the Fenix headband with multiple lights, depending on the flashlights used. Personally I'd think the Fenix Headband configuration would be uncomfortable and perhaps hard to keep in place for a runner, unless it were really tightened around the head...and then discomfort could really be an issue.

For the original poster, if you haven't seen the comparison of ZebraLight offerings, be sure to look at the comparison chart on their site. Notice also that there are quite a few specifications items not yet filled in on that chart (for instance, for the new SC600).

ZebraLight Comparison Chart

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
But perhaps I should have mentioned that what I am hoping for is more lumen for the buck than the HA-III Cree SSC P7-C from Dealextreme (900lm/$77), which I own.

Sorry, in my previous post I hadn't taken into account that you were looking for this level of output. For that kind of thing (and for orienteering), I guess you would definitely want to look for the best you could get in a dedicated headlamp as perhaps a best option.

And who knows, MichaelW's suggestion of the Fenix Headband with more than one light might actually be workable and versatile in that you could even attach more than one kind of light (even three, if you desired). I've got a thread on that here, with one configuration that incorporates a ZebraLight SC600. But still, the Fenix Headband option might add a really clumsy amount of weight to the head. If you add a relatively low output headlamp up front (like I've done with the ZebraLight H501) you'd have just what you need to read a map without glare and could add something with good throw on either side (or both sides). But the weigh...I dunno.

Fenix Headband + Throw Light + ZebraLight Flood

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick replies! Good suggestions.
I will def look out for the H600w.

Is DYI an alternative for saving cost?

Please bear in mind that those P7 based '900 lumen' lights are actually around 300-400 lumens when working out lumen per $.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the Spark or Zebralight, I realy like how compact their are with no wires... Think as well about the runtime, some models use 18650 batteries, that give you a very long runtime...

plengqui

Newly Enlightened
4 Petzl Ultra
5 Silva Alpha
6,7,8 Local Russian brands
Looks good! Especially the "Local Russian brands" look interesting: flood + intensity. Is there a webshop that sells internationally? How much are they?
And I will be sure to check out the new Magicshine.
Thanks!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks varuscelli and MichaelW! This was completely new thinking for me and exactly the reason I posted - to help me out of the box.
I will look like a mad scientist wearing a spacecraft on my head, but hey - in the forrest at night you are pretty alone :)

From the referenced thread, and as a "for instance" on cost, the setup shown below would cost right about $200 USD (depending on shipping costs) and would still have an extra holder on the headband that could either be removed or used for another light:

ZebraLight SC600 $99
ZebraLight H501w $59
Fenix Headband approx $22
TwoFish Lockblock $7
Total (before shipping) approx. $187

I might suggest two lights (throw light and headlamp) that run on 18650 batteries, and there are 18650 flashlights that will actually fit the Fenix Headband (the ZebraLight SC600 here will NOT fit the Fenix Headband without the TwoFish Lockblock, and the Lockblock might make it unbalanced for running, and although I've used this setup for night fishing on a couple of occasions I've never run with it like this). In the configuration I have above, there's a AA headlamp and an 18650 flashlight, so it represents two different battery types. Better to have one battery type in my mind for interchangeability/compatibility. If you use 18650 lights, you would need to factor in the cost of a charger, unless you already have one for 18650.

I'd still warn that a setup like this might be awkward or uncomfortable for running. But one cool thing is that the headlamp could be angled downward and set in intensity for perfect map reading, and if kept at a low setting would run a long time with no battery change needed.

110813-008.jpg

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix headband, $20 more/less + 2x (Jetbeam BC20 $40) hits $100.

Although I'd like to see the non-twist interface version of the Eagletac D25LC2 Mini (it says the body diameter is 22mm, so that should be the biggest that still fits the clamps of the headband)
Hopefully that can be acquired for $50

Or 2x Xeno E03. Maybe warm-white because you are in the woods $75 shipped.

and who says that you won't look like a mad scientist with just a headlamp? :)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Fenix Headband, one or two of the ShiningBeam S-mini XM-LT6 LED Flashlight (400 Lumens) could be an option (using 18650 or 2xCR123A) at around $45 each. But no one seems to have compiled any runtime data on that particular light. It's also a pretty light weight body, so it might burst into flame if run on max for an extended time (I'm only half joking). I don't know if there are warnings associated with runtimes on that light when used on it's highest setting for extended period.

plengqui

Newly Enlightened
To much weight in the head running is not comfortable
I agree, Changchung. There is a limit and it would be great to compare the Fenix-Headband-with-flashlights to a solution with external battery and cable to the headlamp.

Is a homebuilt headlamp a way to get a lot of brightness for the money?

Or is there a webshop with great deals on high-lumen headlamps?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
plengqui, you seem to respond well to outside-the-box thinking, so I'll throw one at you.

People who ride bikes at night have all kinds of creative ways of attaching high-powered headlamps, bike lights, and flashlights to bicycle helmets.

It might sound strange to consider running with a bike helmet on your head, but many of them are made in such a way to allow a variety of mounting methods -- and the padding and webbing in a bike helmet allows for pretty good weight distribution on the head (as well as being exceptionally well ventilated to help keep the head cool). And if you take a hard spill at night, at least your noggin is well protected... ;)

I do some night bike riding and use what they call a TwoFish bikeblock to mount a relatively powerful flashlight to my helmet. Works great for night riding and could be an option for orienteering. And a ventilated bike helmet could potentially be a better way of distributing weight -- and keeping your head cooler -- than a headband.

Just another twist on things. I've got some example pics if the idea interests you.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you plengqui, no helmet for running;

(as well as being exceptionally well ventilated to help keep the head cool)

I had a collection of headgear, make very comfortable wear helmets and stuff like that;

UAM-UA96002-1.jpg

I think if the weight is a concern use a bicycle light system that come with a battery pack that you can carry the batteries in your waist with some belt or bellyback and the light in your head with a headband...

Last edited:

plengqui

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you plengqui, no helmet for running.
...system that come with a battery pack that you can carry the batteries in your waist with some belt or bellyback and the light in your head with a headband...
Yes, this is what I prefer.

varuscelli: I appreciate the creativity, but a bike helmet is too far out of the box :)