Help me choose an EDC/Bike Light

koof

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if what I'm doing is practical, but I've always wanted an EDC flashlight and I really need a bikelight so I figure I could kill 2 birds in 1 stone. I'm also scared that my bike light will get stolen so I plan on taking my bike light off every time I'm done riding.

Anyway on to the rest of the checklist.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Whatever is the cheapest, don't mind online, can check brick and mortar (I'm in the Bay Area)

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Preferably under $25, don't see the budget going past $50

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight that works as a bike light

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Everyday carry size... small is preferred but the medium ish size isn't bad either.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

I don't know

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I don't really care.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

Bike Light!

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

Whatever people need for a bike light!

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

I prefer not changing the battery that often, but I can't imagine taking bike rides longer than one hour. I'll probably take several 10-15 bike rides a day.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

I don't know. Durable is better.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I don't know

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I guess different light levels are good?

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

No idea

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about KISS.
AAx2: Say a Jetbeam BA20 (or virtual twin Klarus P2A) with a some lithium AA's (until you are ready to step up to Eneloops), mounted with a TwoFish lockblock.

AAx1: Xeno E03. Pick your color temperature & your favorite anodization color.

jennaentrust

Newly Enlightened
I am having the same issue. I want to do night riding on my bike but want a good sturdy and prefereably not rediculously expensive light to guide my way. Any suggestions? :naughty:

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened
I am an avid cyclist and I love night riding. I prefer self contained lights and I need 4-hour runtimes. I have adopted the 18650 Li-Ion as a battery of choice.

I use an 18650x1 light with an XP-G R5 emitter mounted to my helmet but can be just as easily be mounted to the handlebars. I run in low and medium mode 98% of the time. Traffic and road hazards might up the high beam usage. The emitter draws 1A-hi, 500ma-med, & 100ma-lo. The XP-G emitter has a nice spill pattern and most host lights will provide a decent hot spot. Runtime is dependent on the batteries you choose. On my routes, I can get 4 hours of usable light with one 18650 cell.

uknewbie

Banned
Yeah if you are looking for cheap mount and light Fenix is your answer. I use their clamp mount and it works well with a variety of light sizes, not just their own. I would not recommend the velcro type Twofish mounts, they do work loose.

Lots of Fenix lights would suit your needs/budget I think too.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found a lot of xp-g and xr-e lights to be too throwy to be a bicycle light. Just about the perfect beam is cast by the P60 XM-L drop-in. Wide but just plenty of throw to light up the path ahead. With that said a good host would be the Solarforce L2P, with a decent 18650 You're looking at about 2 hours of usable runtime and it'll be bright. I'm talking car headlight bright. As for the mount, there's lots of good ones out there.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
What type of riding do you do, road, off-road, or both? Would you consider a headlamp?

I cycle a lot, 20+ miles/day often. I try to get most of my riding in during the day, but schedule often puts me riding @ night. I ride mostly on roads, sometimes on gravel bike paths and easy/intermediate trails. Don't do any mountain biking or hardcore trails.

I have 3 lights that I use most of the time. Knog Boomer USB rechargeable front white and rear red lights. I like them because they are light, easy to use, don't have to worry about batteries, and can be quickly changed b/t my Pinarello FPQuattro and Jamis Eclipse road bikes and BMC CX01 cyclocross bike. I have them set to flash mode, use them so I can be seen by drivers and pedestrians. I prefer to use a headlamp to see the road ahead, like to have the beam go where my head is pointing. Currently am using an iTP H01 headlamp. Even with the headband it is small enough to carry in pocket, and comes with a clip. When used alone as an EDC, it is nice that it is a right angle light, very useful that way. Has 3 level modes, 1.5, 18, and 80 lumens. Nice beam to it, and it throws far enough that I don't over ride it even at speed on backroads.

Can get it here- http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1162

leodanger

Newly Enlightened
Pushing the budget I guess, but I use a Klarus XT10 on my bike. In mid-power mode it's more than powerful enough for road and tracks, but in high-power it picks out every detail.

Compared to cycle-specific lamps, it's far cheaper, and even if the runtime isn't quite as good as some of the ones with a frame-mounted battery, an 18650 of two in the pocket is far cheaper...

koof

Newly Enlightened
This is waaaaaaaay too technical for me. I've never ridden in the dark so I honestly don't know what to expect for a bike light set up, and I know even less about flashlights. I think I'll go with the Fenix suggestion because they seem to make the best lights on a budget.

I'm looking at the Must-Have List on this forum and it seems like the E01 is a must have but it does not seem to be sufficient for biking.

What about the TK20, or LOD/LD1 (????) or the L2D/LD20 for biking??

insanefred

Enlightened
This is waaaaaaaay too technical for me. I've never ridden in the dark so I honestly don't know what to expect for a bike light set up, and I know even less about flashlights. I think I'll go with the Fenix suggestion because they seem to make the best lights on a budget.

I'm looking at the Must-Have List on this forum and it seems like the E01 is a must have but it does not seem to be sufficient for biking.

What about the TK20, or LOD/LD1 (????) or the L2D/LD20 for biking??

Definitely a big NO on the TK20!
Love the tint, but way too throwy, too front heavy, batteries will rattle too much and you'll have to set it so that it doesn't accidentally switch to turbo or low modes.

Danielsan

Enlightened
Im interested in a headlamp for reading books and this is why i orderd the 4sevens Prism kit in combination with the Fenix LD10, this light uses 1 AA Battery and last 2 hours/100 Ansi Lumen, it has lower modes as well. I know that a bike mount is available for this light, it uses XP-G R5 LED(2011 Edition). Another neat upgrades for this light are diffusors or camping lights that you can attach on the light, looks like a star wars laser sword then. So over all i think its a great EDC flashlight, camping light and bike light all together. The Clip can be adjusted towards the back so you can use the lamp also with a base cap if you dont have the 4 sevens prismKit. The light is available for 50 Dollar

Last edited:

windmill

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I quite often ride in the dark and use a couple of Zebrailight H51w, one mounted on the handlebar and one on the helmet.
I find them sufficiently bright and very very light in weight, I bring with me only a couple of spare AA eneloops just in case I need more time out.
To attach them I use a TwoFish Lockblocks as you can see in this photo:
33c93158.jpg

I find it very sturdy and light, easy to install and remove.