Black Moon LTD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macs EDC XM-L has landed

Default Macs EDC XM-L has landed

Just arrived today I will try for some beam shots tonight, but my first impression is that it's a real thrower

Copper Tri-EDC / Copper EDC XM-L

Thanks
    Todd
    Last edited by shado; 08-24-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    My Lights__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Default Re: Macs EDC XM-L has landed

Can't wait to see the beamshots! You wouldn't happen to have an sst50 edc to compare it to, would you? I'd like to see the output differences between the two.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    Can't wait to see the beamshots! You wouldn't happen to have an sst50 edc to compare it to, would you? I'd like to see the output differences between the two.
    I do have a SST-50 and will post shots to compare
    My Lights__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Flashaholic*

Nice looking pair of lights. Looking foward to beamshots....Robert.

XM-L emitters produce slightly smaller and brighter hotspots than SST-50 emitters produce. The XM-L may be somewhat brighter overall but it's not going to be a significant difference at the power level the Mac EDC runs at.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    XM-L emitters produce slightly smaller and brighter hotspots than SST-50 emitters produce. The XM-L may be somewhat brighter overall but it's not going to be a significant difference at the power level the Mac EDC runs at.
    Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case, but I just want to see how significant it would be. I love the sst-50 in a p60 format but in mac lights, I wish it had just a hair bit more throw and with the xm-l, I'm sure it would turn it into my perfect edc light.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?

Subscribed!
    Ask me about custom kydex.

I hope this is a 2.8amp cool version you got...

Flashaholic*

Shado, how long ago did you order? I ordered about 6 weeks ago and have yet to even get an email Reply from him....
    Flashholism - Are you down with the sickness?

Flashaholics Hate Daylight Savings Time!

Quote Originally Posted by whizdumb View Post
    I hope this is a 2.8amp cool version you got...
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Shado, how long ago did you order? I ordered about 6 weeks ago and have yet to even get an email Reply from him....
    I first talked to Mac on June 5th. Mac is a perfectionist and the wait will be worth it
    Last edited by shado; 08-24-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shado View Post
    Yes

Schweet... Can't wait for SST-50 comparison shots.. Please do some beamshots tonight.. I'm dying to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by whizdumb View Post
    Schweet... Can't wait for SST-50 comparison shots.. Please do some beamshots tonight.. I'm dying to see them.
    I did take some last night with my wife's camera, but they didn't turn out Tonight is a no go but, I will take some good shots Friday night The XM-L was brighter and had better throw!

I did take some last night with my wife's camera, but they didn't turn out Tonight is a no go but, I will take some good shots Friday night The XM-L was brighter and had better throw!
    I figured the XM-L would be brighter and have better throw.. But hows the beam profile and how is the cleanliness and tint compared to the SST-50.. In my experience XM-Ls have a lot of color shift across the beam. Did Mac source some really good xm-l's ( or maybe some fantastic, well suited reflectors) or is the sst-50 still the most consistent and "coolest" emitter running?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have one E-Mail from you on 8/22 inquiring about an order status and replied to it on the 24th. Did you send one earlier? I have your lights in process now to ship next week as long as my board shipment arrives.

Mac
    Last edited by cmacclel; 08-26-2011 at 09:08 AM.
    www.macscustoms.com
    *Note* Shipping Insurance must be requested.

Just arrived today I will try for some beam shots tonight, but my first impression is that it's a real thrower

Thanks
    Todd
    Wow, those are gorgeous! I changed my order to copper as soon as I saw that it was available. But I gather from my exchange with Mac that he orders the copper stock on demand, so I may be waiting quite a while. Sigh. But clearly, it will be well worth the wait.

OK, so today went better and I got some shots. The shots were taken using fresh batteries,

AW IMR 16340 in the SST 50-EDC
    UltraFire 18350 in the EDC XM-L and Tri-EDC

All lights have a cool tint and were on the highest setting.

EDC XM-L

SST 50-EDC

I took these a few months ago,

Macs SST 50 EDC

Macs Tri EDC

I hope this helps
    Last edited by shado; 08-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Looks very close to the SST-50 but a richer hot spot.
    Ask me about custom kydex.

Wow that SST-50 makes the XM-L look like its a neutral tint. Thanks for the shots Shado I really appreciate them.

Thanks for the beamshots. Did you mean to say 18350 or 16340 for the sst-50?

Looks like the xm-l has a brighter hotspot than the sst-50 but the beam profile is actually very similar. If anything, maybe the xm-l has a slightly tighter hotspot, but not as much as I would have thought.

Thanks for the beamshots!

I'm getting excited for my XML, I went with Ti thought about asking for copper to match my TRI-EDC, but I'm happy with my choice.

My SST-50 had the narrow body, a bit tighter and 18mm batteries is exactly what I was looking for. I am used to the high first TRI and kind of prefer it now.

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    Thanks for the beamshots. Did you mean to say 18350 or 16340 for the sst-50?

Looks like the xm-l has a brighter hotspot than the sst-50 but the beam profile is actually very similar. If anything, maybe the xm-l has a slightly tighter hotspot, but not as much as I would have thought.
    Late night typing error it was a AW IMR16340 in the SST-50

Default Tri vs XM-L

Appreciate the photo to compare the two. I was leaning towards the XM-L and awaiting beam shot comparisons. I was surprised that the XM-L is a bit longer than the Tri. Beam performance aside, which one balances and holds better? Between the Tri and XML, does one heat more when run on high for more than short bursts?

By the way, the copper on the Tri still looks great. Do you routinely clean it? I got a maratac copper AAA and it tarnishes shortly in time (even with no usage). I would be very pleased if this is how it ages.

Best Regards

Default Re: Tri vs XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by JHCANDLEPOWER View Post
    Appreciate the photo to compare the two. I was leaning towards the XM-L and awaiting beam shot comparisons. I was surprised that the XM-L is a bit longer than the Tri. Beam performance aside, which one balances and holds better? Between the Tri and XML, does one heat more when run on high for more than short bursts?

By the way, the copper on the Tri still looks great. Do you routinely clean it? I got a maratac copper AAA and it tarnishes shortly in time (even with no usage). I would be very pleased if this is how it ages.

Best Regards
    They both feel good in hand and I don't notice a difference in balance. The Tri-EDC heats up a little quicker than the XM-L, but it's not an issue with either in Copper! Most of my lights sit under Glass or in Pelican Cases and don't need regular cleaning. I do carry a Brass Hinderer pen and posted my results Here. Mac makes great lights and I don't think you will be disappointed with whatever you choose!

Thanks
    Todd

Which appears brighter on ceiling bounce to you between the Tri-EDC and the XM-L (2.8A)?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Which appears brighter on ceiling bounce to you between the Tri-EDC and the XM-L (2.8A)?
    Both are Cool 2.8, but the Tri-EDC is closer to neutral. The Tri-EDC is a little brighter on a ceiling bounce.

Both are Cool 2.8, but the Tri-EDC is closer to neutral. The Tri-EDC is a little brighter on a ceiling bounce.
    Thanks. That implies therefore that the Tri-EDC is still pushing out more overall lumens then although the XM-L has more throw.

You know, Mac's website says that he measured 575 lumens from the EDC XM-L and 490 lumens from the TRI-EDC. Could the perceived difference in the ceiling bounce be because the xm-l produces a tighter spot? I've read that floody beams look brighter than tight beams in ceiling bounce tests even when the output is close on both lights. I think because of the flooded light is hitting a broader reflective surface on the ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by calflash View Post
    You know, Mac's website says that he measured 575 lumens from the EDC XM-L and 490 lumens from the TRI-EDC. Could the perceived difference in the ceiling bounce be because the xm-l produces a tighter spot? I've read that floody beams look brighter than tight beams in ceiling bounce tests even when the output is close on both lights. I think because of the flooded light is hitting a broader reflective surface on the ceiling?
    Very difficult to say. One possiblility might be that Mac measured them with freshly charged cells. Perhaps shado did his ceiling bounce a little while later and by this time the XM-L may have dropped more than the TRI-EDC. I do know that any small battery supplying 2.8A will drop the amount of current it can supply extremely quickly.

How easy is it to disassemble the XM-L EDC? I was thinking I could get one in copper and take it apart to gold or nickel plate, then reassemble it. This would prevent it from tarnishing.

Enlightened

Wow really great pictures and review Todd, thanks for posting this up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast