Macs EDC XM-L has landed

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just arrived today :) I will try for some beam shots tonight, but my first impression is that it's a real thrower :devil:

Copper Tri-EDC / Copper EDC XM-L
p1050845q.jpg

p1050856f.jpg

Thanks
Todd

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to see the beamshots! You wouldn't happen to have an sst50 edc to compare it to, would you? I'd like to see the output differences between the two.

fyrstormer

Banned
XM-L emitters produce slightly smaller and brighter hotspots than SST-50 emitters produce. The XM-L may be somewhat brighter overall but it's not going to be a significant difference at the power level the Mac EDC runs at.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L emitters produce slightly smaller and brighter hotspots than SST-50 emitters produce. The XM-L may be somewhat brighter overall but it's not going to be a significant difference at the power level the Mac EDC runs at.

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case, but I just want to see how significant it would be. I love the sst-50 in a p60 format but in mac lights, I wish it had just a hair bit more throw and with the xm-l, I'm sure it would turn it into my perfect edc light.

Doug

Enlightened
Shado, how long ago did you order? I ordered about 6 weeks ago and have yet to even get an email Reply from him....

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Schweet... Can't wait for SST-50 comparison shots.. Please do some beamshots tonight.. I'm dying to see them.

I did take some last night with my wife's camera, but they didn't turn out :shakehead Tonight is a no go but, I will take some good shots Friday night :thumbsup: The XM-L was brighter and had better throw!

whizdumb

Newly Enlightened
I did take some last night with my wife's camera, but they didn't turn out :shakehead Tonight is a no go but, I will take some good shots Friday night :thumbsup: The XM-L was brighter and had better throw!

I figured the XM-L would be brighter and have better throw.. But hows the beam profile and how is the cleanliness and tint compared to the SST-50.. In my experience XM-Ls have a lot of color shift across the beam. Did Mac source some really good xm-l's ( or maybe some fantastic, well suited reflectors) or is the sst-50 still the most consistent and "coolest" emitter running?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shado, how long ago did you order? I ordered about 6 weeks ago and have yet to even get an email Reply from him....

I have one E-Mail from you on 8/22 inquiring about an order status and replied to it on the 24th. Did you send one earlier? I have your lights in process now to ship next week as long as my board shipment arrives.

Mac

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
Just arrived today :) I will try for some beam shots tonight, but my first impression is that it's a real thrower :devil:

p1050845q.jpg

p1050856f.jpg

Thanks
Todd

Wow, those are gorgeous! I changed my order to copper as soon as I saw that it was available. But I gather from my exchange with Mac that he orders the copper stock on demand, so I may be waiting quite a while. Sigh. But clearly, it will be well worth the wait.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so today went better and I got some shots. The shots were taken using fresh batteries,

AW IMR 16340 in the SST 50-EDC
UltraFire 18350 in the EDC XM-L and Tri-EDC

All lights have a cool tint and were on the highest setting.

EDC XM-L
p1050906u.jpg

SST 50-EDC
p1050909r.jpg

I took these a few months ago,

Macs SST 50 EDC
p1050301x.jpg

Macs Tri EDC
p1050303o.jpg

I hope this helps :wave:

Last edited:

whizdumb

Newly Enlightened
Wow that SST-50 makes the XM-L look like its a neutral tint. Thanks for the shots Shado I really appreciate them.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots. Did you mean to say 18350 or 16340 for the sst-50?

Looks like the xm-l has a brighter hotspot than the sst-50 but the beam profile is actually very similar. If anything, maybe the xm-l has a slightly tighter hotspot, but not as much as I would have thought.

upsidedownviking

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots!

I'm getting excited for my XML, I went with Ti thought about asking for copper to match my TRI-EDC, but I'm happy with my choice.

My SST-50 had the narrow body, a bit tighter and 18mm batteries is exactly what I was looking for. I am used to the high first TRI and kind of prefer it now.