Self Defense Light

JRUFF420

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a tactical flashlight to carry in conjuction with a concealed carry handgun. I have contemplated the 4sevens quark 123 tactical and the Fenix Pd30 but im open for suggestions i dont think i want to spend the 160 dollars on the surefire backup but that might be the way i need to go. Any thoughts?

Mdinana

Enlightened
SF Z2 or C2, bought used in the marketplace. Probably coudl be < 100. Can add in an LED if you feel like it for about $30. I'd avoid any Jetbeam or Olight - some folks have had good thoughts, my olight "tactical" broke after falling out of my pocket onto a hospital floor.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a warning so you don't get mad, these types of posts usually devolve pretty quickly and get shut down. So everyone should tread lightly on this topic.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry a Surefire E2DL for that role.

Much thinner and lighter than a 6P/C2...etc. Nice tight hotspot with a decent strike bezel as well.

Roger999

Enlightened
I'd suggest something like a G2X Tactical with a V70 holster, you don't want multi modes on a light that will be used in conjunction with a firearm (unless it always turn on with the max brightness), and a V70 holster means there's no flap to deal with and the light is easily accessible. If you want a smaller light, you can pick up a Surefire E1B back up on CPF Marketplace for around $100.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Just as a warning so you don't get mad, these types of posts usually devolve pretty quickly and get shut down. So everyone should tread lightly on this topic.

In fairness the threads that usually get shut down are the 'I want a light to scare off bad guys so I don't have to have a gun' threads. This is clearly not the case here with the OP specifically asking for advice on lights to use with a handgun.

What ever you chose, train with it. No point in having a flashlight that makes you miss with your gun because it upsets your usual shooting style.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Do you want one of those ones that atatch on to the handgun? Just thinking that if you should meet a guy with bad intentions down a dark alley way you don't want to fumble about with a flashlight and a handgun when your lifes at risk. Shure, when you aren't under pressure it might be easy enough but when faced with an attacker people panic and forget simple things.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
First of all do a low light shooting course, a good one will show you the pros and cons of weapon mounted versus hand held. Then you can make a better judgement.

I have had great experiences with Surefire Z2 & C2 and with the Surefire X series hangun lights.

Good luck.

DM51

Flashaholic
Sensible posts from qwertydude (#4) and nzgunnie (#7) above.

Please would members refrain from any / all discussions of violence, using strike bezels, etc., etc. Any such posts will lead to the thread being closed, probably with corrective action being taken against offenders.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
I would hesitate to add anything that would make me juggle a gun. Oops! First learn to shoot in broad daylight on a good range many times. Get comfortable with increasing accuracy. If you've already done so then of course consider lighting. But don't forget in a real emergency to DROP anything that makes for a fumbled shooting.
Edit: You're gonna need two hands to make a shot.

Last edited:

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Almost any light with a tail cap switch, and 100 to 200lm will work as a "duty light" when I was still in Law Enforcemnt, the surefire rulled the roost and that was 60lm. The tequnique used is what you need to master. there are 5 or 6 common methods to use a handgun and flashlight together. Almost all agencies now use a mounted light because it so much easier to train. However like anything else the key is the training not the equipment....:thumbsup:
Methods taught now...

1.Massod Ayoob
2.Chapmen
3.Rogers (surefire)
3.FBI
4.Neck index
5.Harries

Last edited:

Roger999

Enlightened
I would hesitate to add anything that would make me juggle a gun. Oops! First learn to shoot in broad daylight on a good range many times. Get comfortable with increasing accuracy. If you've already done so then of course consider lighting. But don't forget in a real emergency to DROP anything that makes for a fumbled shooting.
Edit: You're gonna need two hands to make a shot.
No point being able to make a perfect shot if you can't even see what you're shooting at or what's behind the threat.