PK Design Lab
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I got my charger yesterday. It worked well enough at first, but when I put more than one battery in it, it started to act funny. I unplugged it and put it back in its box. Unfortunately I don't have room for another power brick, and anyway Jetbeam needs to fix the problem with the built-in PSU instead of patching it with an external power brick. Maybe I'll buy version 2.

The correct voltage isn't enough. Can it supply 6 amps @ 12 volts?
    its a 3 amp fused 12v dc car adapter style cord. 6 amps? i highly doubt this thing will draw 6 amps from a 12 volt cord.
    Last edited by veedo; 10-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.

The correct voltage isn't enough. Can it supply 6 amps @ 12 volts?
    The wall wart that Sysmax will send out is rated at 12V / 1A = 12W. Considering that 1A charging is only for 2 cells max which when doing LiIon would be 4.2V x 2 = 8.4V and then 8.4V x 1A = 8.4W. Charging rate is reduced to .5A when doing 4 cells so it'll still be 8.4W max. So I believe based on this that the 12V / 1A would be sufficient (someone please correct if this is wrong).

I used the 12V / 2A power supply from my Maha C9K and the i4 is now working with mixed chemistries but it stops charging my 18650's well short of 4.2V. Two RL3100's came off the charger around 4.13V. Like you, I'll be sending these back and wait for v2 (if they make one).
    Last edited by turboBB; 10-15-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
    someone please correct if this is wrong
    Your arithmetic is OK, but note that 12 V x 1 A = 12 W (not Wh). Wh is watt-hours, or watts x hours, which is not what you are calculating here. Volts x amps = watts. Volts x amps x hours = watt-hours.
    Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht

I don't know if anybody noticed: It says it can charge 26650 (or "C") size cells. It cannot. The "+" tab is just not long enough. So here goes my dream of reducing the number of chargers on my desk :/ So for Samsung new chemistry I have modified WF-188, for 3.7 and 3.3V Li-Ions (up to size "C") I have normal WF-188, for AA and AAA NiMH - BC-900 with good old v 27 software and for C size NiMHs I have 15$ "Tronic" 4 slot charger.

Thx Happy! I've edited my post.

@kodi - you're right, it won't be able to charge anything with a radius greater than 10mm. I don't have any 26650's but here's a Duracell C alki as an example:

EDIT: Check posts 131-133 re: 26550's, it's possible due to the wider anode tip.
    Last edited by turboBB; 10-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Flashaholic*

Just when I thought this charger couldn't look any less appealing!
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

Quote Originally Posted by naked2 View Post
    Just when I thought this charger couldn't look any less appealing!
    It seems to be trying it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by kodi View Post
    I don't know if anybody noticed: It says it can charge 26650 (or "C") size cells. It cannot. The "+" tab is just not long enough. So here goes my dream of reducing the number of chargers on my desk :/ So for Samsung new chemistry I have modified WF-188, for 3.7 and 3.3V Li-Ions (up to size "C") I have normal WF-188, for AA and AAA NiMH - BC-900 with good old v 27 software and for C size NiMHs I have 15$ "Tronic" 4 slot charger.
    I charged some 26500's in mine yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    I charged some 26500's in mine yesterday...
    Could you elaborate, please? Thank you.

I don't know what to do with this charger I contacted GoingGear to see if Jetbeam planned on sending out new power adapters and they told me they didn't know anything about any problems with this charger.

Return shipping is going to be expensive with this large of a package compared to the price of the item but if it's just a cable that needs replacing I wouldn't return it anyway but wait and see if I can get that power cable. So it seems I'm in limbo and not sure what to do...
    My flashlight collection HERE

Quote Originally Posted by TigerF View Post
    Could you elaborate, please? Thank you.
    There's not much to elaborate on. I put a 26500 cell the charger, and it charged.

Flashaholic*

26500s and 26650s tend to have wider positive contacts than your average button top C-cell, so these are able to make connection with the chargers contacts.

The problem I have is that you can only sensibly charge one 26xxx cell at a time due to the width. There is a side 'wing' moulded in to the casing at each side which prevents a 26xxx cell from being used in the outer bays. Or at least, it prevents them from lining up straight. Maybe you could charge them anyway, but it doesn't look secure. Again, due to the width of the cells, you can't have two next to each other in the middle two bays.

But yes, with a li-ion 26xxx cell, with either a wide button or a flat top, it is possible to use the charger, but for a secure fit, I would only be comfortable charging one at a time.

One other issue that has been questioned is the fitting of longer cells - protected 18650s and 26650s for instance. Xtar's '18700' cells are the perfect example. These can be 'wedged' in. There is absolutely no excess space left, but they will go in. The problem is that on pulling them out, the cell pivots on the edge of the negative contact, gouging the base of the cell. As such, I'd not recommend using this charger with the longer than normal cells.

Feeling like an idiot I just tried Accupower 6000 NiMH and old AW "C" size Li-Ion. Fact is in both cases they can make a contact with positive tab in middle slots, but just on the edge of it. If you let them rest, they losing contact and stopping charging. Duct tape solved the problem, but... I wouldn't call it secure nor convenient solution. Flat top C size sits fairly fine - and charging.

How About Head 2 Head voltage Review with 4Seven? (Just Curious..)

Well, I got mine, and shortly after I started using it it started acting up. So it's back to my Ultrafire charger for now.

I'm also trying to return mine to GoingGear; haven't heard a response yet. Hopefully they approve the RMA, because if I get stuck with a crap product from them that's going to affect my willingness to do business with them again. I know it's not their fault the product is crap, but hopefully they'll be willing to do their part to send it back to the manufacturer.

The saddest part of the whole thing is it's probably Jetbeam who got screwed, ultimately. They probably went shopping for a charger they could put their name on, saw the prototype for this one, said "hell yes!", and ended up taking delivery of a product that doesn't live up to its own spec sheet. Hopefully they can get things straightened out on their end, because this is the first time I've gotten something from them that disappointed me.

I know it's not their fault the product is crap, but hopefully they'll be willing to do their part to send it back to the manufacturer.

The saddest part of the whole thing is it's probably Jetbeam who got screwed, ultimately. They probably went shopping for a charger they could put their name on, saw the prototype for this one, said "hell yes!", and ended up taking delivery of a product that doesn't live up to its own spec sheet. Hopefully they can get things straightened out on their end, because this is the first time I've gotten something from them that disappointed me.
    It's like you say, fyrstormer: for 99% of products, a name is just the company that slaps their label on it, while someone else makes it. Unfortunately, it is that master company that takes the fall when something dubious comes to market with their moniker on it!
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Flashaholic*

JetBeam endorsed the product by putting their name on it.
    GoingGear recommended the product by putting it in their store to sell, and the positive reviews they demonstrated on YouTube.

I have little trust in those two companies now. I'm not treating them any differently than if on bought junk somewhere else. That's why most stores have return policies and consumer protection. Label this charger as a safety hazard, and then see how they react!

This product just gets more and more disappointing! What a mess.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    It's like you say, fyrstormer: for 99% of products, a name is just the company that slaps their label on it, while someone else makes it. Unfortunately, it is that master company that takes the fall when something dubious comes to market with their moniker on it!
    I think you guys are going through acrobatics not to hold Jetbeam responsible, which they most surely are. Consumer companies buy parts and products, and before they slap their name on them to earn money, it's their responsibility to properly QA the product to ensure their customers are getting what is promised. It is absolutely Jetbeam's responsibility to weed out bad products and parts, before they reach the customers. And if the company makes a mistake on QA (which often happens, of course), they need to find a way to fix it that restores trust in their customers. But as the final sellers and the ones who profit over the product as a whole, I hold them responsible for the overall outcome. As it is, not only does it seem like Jetbeam messed up on QA, the fix is still a bit questionable, and based on a number of replies, it seems like neither Jetbeam nor their dealers really even understand the product. I'm still learning, and even I heard alarm bells when the product literature said it would push 1000ma into a 10440 but that it was supported.

Joe, I'm not saying Jetbeam isn't responsible. What I'm saying is, in all likelihood, what they're responsible for is assuming a disreputable electronics manufacturer would deliver a mass-produced product as good as the prototype. It's not like Jetbeam solders all these parts onto circuit boards themselves; based on the visual cues that can be seen in some of their product photos, "Jetbeam" is a fab-less company occupying rented space in an office park. Maybe they do assembly there, but everything else is most likely subcontracted out. As a consultant myself, I know perfectly well that even "honest hardworking Real American" subcontractors have a little problem with rounding-off corners where they can, and I have been burned (though not nearly as badly) by assuming they would do the same work day-to-day that they demonstrated during the initial consultation.

I fully expect Jetbeam to take the hit for this. I just hope they pass that hit onto whoever was responsible for actually building the bad electronics in this charger.

I was skeptical in this from day one when photos from the Jetbeam booth showed NON-rechargable batteries in this charger. That to me spoke volumes on how knowledgable JetBeam was about this product.

Flashaholic*

No matter what else we might think, I really have to believe that Jetbeam know the difference between a primary and secondary cell, and that the CR123A was just used to demonstrate that the charger could take cells of that size, rather than them actually think that that cell could be recharged. I would really hope that it just means that they didn't have an RCR123/16340 cell handy. Surely no one could work for a compny like Jetbeam and not know the difference?

So am I the only person here who has no problems with these chargers? Both of mine have been functioning properly, not a single hiccup.

As for the 10440 issue, if they'd simply not made the mistake of saying they'd fit, none of you would be so upset about it. Version 2 will have a new integrated PSU and a different sticker, and all of this will be forgotten.

I find it quite laughable when people will write off a store, nevermind an entire brand, when one (according to you guys, as mine are fine) bad product slips through.

It's not the bad product, it's the bad design and the bad solution to a bad design that are at issue.

JetBeam should know that you shouldn't push such a high charge rate into small cells.
    JetBeam should know that a termination current (I forget, what did HKJ measure? 200 or 300 mah?) will NOT sufficiently charge small cells.
    JetBeam should know that you can't put a primary cell in their product demonstration.
    JetBeam should know precisely which cells can and can't go in this charger.

How many mistakes can you make and one product and still stand behind them? Of course we should question them. I've never owned a JetBeam product, maybe if I had I'd still be ok with them, but never having owned one, this certainly doesn't make me want to start.

Flashaholic*

So am I the only person here who has no problems with these chargers? Both of mine have been functioning properly, not a single hiccup.
    I've not had mine long, but no issues with regards to actual charging as of yet. I've charged both NiMH and li-ion cells, including mixing the two. Admittedly, being in the UK, I don't have the voltage issues that some people are experiencing when running at 110v.

My only issues are more with the physical aspects of the charger - not really good for multiple 26xxx cells width wise, and being a bit short for some of the longest protected 26650s and 18650s (or as Xtar call them, 18700s).

Flashaholic*

As for the 10440 issue, if they'd simply not made the mistake of saying they'd fit, none of you would be so upset about it. Version 2 will have a new integrated PSU and a different sticker, and all of this will be forgotten. .
    You know, if version 2 has a better fix, that's great. Actually, instead of a different sticker, I'd like a v2+ that lets me downswitch the current so I can actually do 10440s, or at least 16340s and 14500s more safely if I only want to charge one.

That said, I don't find it "laughable" that the company understands so little about its own product that it can't figure out what types of batteries are safe to charge in it. Li Ion technology is no joke, and if some poor guy follows the written directions and starts a fire in his living room, it won't be laughable at all. And here's the thing -- does Jetbeam even realize there's a problem with 10440s yet? I haven't seen any evidence that they know yet that these would charge dangerously out of spec. I may be remembering wrong, but I thought there was a similar issue with the 4sevens charger initially, but they very quickly recognized it and handled it, without rankling anyone. That's an important difference. edit: just checked, different issue, but still handled better IMO.
    Last edited by Joe Talmadge; 10-17-2011 at 03:00 PM.

The charger does have some issues. The termination current is not the same each time, neither is the voltage. Mostly these two issues are minor, but sometimes the charges does fail, i.e. the battery is not full when the charger says it is.
    I will recommend always to check LiIon batteries with a voltmeter when taking them out of the charger.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

i havent had any of my 18650s or cr123s come off the charger higher than 4.14 volts with this charger. with an ac to dc adapter, i havent had it do the reboot lights flashing thing yet, but we will see.

I'm just wondering - was only mine car adapter broken (without the positive contact), or anyone else have this problem?

Look at the sticker at the back of the charger and I wonder whether it is really a JETBeam product. The logos of JETBeam and NITECORE togother are put under the name of SYSMAX Ind. As I know SYSMAX is a dealer of the brands JETBeam and NITECORE, and at the bottom of the sticker it is printed "Made in China by SYSMAX Ind.".

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast