Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 354

Thread: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

  1. #151
    Flashaholic* Black Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,622

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Sysmax Industries is the parent company of Jetbeam and Nitecore.

  2. #152
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Mine just came with the mains power cable - no car adapter included.

  3. #153
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    777

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by owner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by owner View Post
    Look at the sticker at the back of the charger and I wonder whether it is really a JETBeam product. The logos of JETBeam and NITECORE togother are put under the name of SYSMAX Ind. As I know SYSMAX is a dealer of the brands JETBeam and NITECORE, and at the bottom of the sticker it is printed "Made in China by SYSMAX Ind.".
    It had already been determined (awhile ago) that this charger is made by Sysmax.
    Last edited by naked2; 10-20-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

  4. #154
    Flashaholic* 45/70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rural Ohio
    Posts
    2,800

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by naked2 View Post
    [COLOR=#222222]It had already been determined (awhile ago) that this charger is made by Sysmax.
    Umm, naked, owner linked to gopajti's picture the same as you did. I wonder where he saw it? LOL!

    owner, I'm not sure what you're getting at. As was discussed a while back, Sysmax is associated with both Jetbeam and Nitecore. In the case of Jetbeam anyway, since the company was started in 2004. That may be true with Nitecore as well. Anyway, all three are located in and, "Made In China", if that's what you're focusing on.

    Dave

  5. #155
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,358

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

  6. #156
    Flashaholic* RI Chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean State
    Posts
    1,846

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Thanks for another excellent review HKJ!

  7. #157
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    777

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by 45/70 View Post
    Umm, naked, owner linked to gopajti's picture the same as you did. I wonder where he saw it? LOL!
    I tried to quote that post without the picture, but it kept adding it in; I gave up!
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

  8. #158

    Default

    Here is an important note. You can get it from goinggear.com for $25. Free shipping on all orders over $50. http://goinggear.com/flashlights/bat...y-charger.html
    I ordered two.

  9. #159
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    you did "get the memo" about not recommended by most users who have one right? (I think if you read along in this thread most of USA users have returned them?)

    Here is HKJ's short list of negatives from his review thread above....

    - The charge current is too high for small cells.
    - The slots are a bit too short, 1 to 2 mm longer would have been very useful.
    - Small variations in charge voltage and termination current.
    - Does not really support C cells, due to connection issue.
    - The NiMH charge mode prevents correct handling of over discharged LiIon.
    - Can only handle one 26xxx/C cell, due to space constrains (Might be able to handle two 26xxx with a large + pole).
    - NiMH charging slots does affect end of charge conditions on each other.
    - The slider does not always move easily, when putting long cells in the charger.
    -- LiIon charge can fail.
    -- Mixing NiMH and LiIon, gives uncontrolled charge and discharge current.
    -- The charger does not work on 110 VAC, except with an external power supply.


  10. #160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beavis
    you did "get the memo" about not recommended by most users who have one right? (I think if you read along in this thread most of USA users have returned them?)

    Here is HKJ's short list of negatives from his review thread above....

    - The charge current is too high for small cells.
    - The slots are a bit too short, 1 to 2 mm longer would have been very useful.
    - Small variations in charge voltage and termination current.
    - Does not really support C cells, due to connection issue.
    - The NiMH charge mode prevents correct handling of over discharged LiIon.
    - Can only handle one 26xxx/C cell, due to space constrains (Might be able to handle two 26xxx with a large + pole).
    - NiMH charging slots does affect end of charge conditions on each other.
    - The slider does not always move easily, when putting long cells in the charger.
    -- LiIon charge can fail.
    -- Mixing NiMH and LiIon, gives uncontrolled charge and discharge current.
    -- The charger does not work on 110 VAC, except with an external power supply.

    Yep I got the memo. I borrowed my friends and used it on 3000 mAh 18650 and rcr123 batteries and a few AA enelops. It did a GREAT job. That is why I ordered two because the product performed. That and now I don't need a truck load of chargers on my nightstand anymore.

  11. #161
    Flashaholic* mvyrmnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,218

    Default

    I'll just reiterate that i've still had no problems.

    Yes, if you want to charge 10440's, this isn't your charger.

    Yes, if you live in a 110v country, you'll need a wall wart.

    If all you want is to charge 18650's that actually meet the length specification ( don't blame the charger, blame the company that made your batteries too long!) and your envelops, then this charger is good.

    These are my needs, and they've been met.

    There seems to be an attitude here of "Since it won't work in America, then It has no redeeming qualities at all and is complete junk"

    It's certainly better than most cheap chargers out there.
    Last edited by mvyrmnd; 10-20-2011 at 06:38 PM.

  12. #162

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    I'll just reiterate that i've still had no problems.

    Yes, if you want to charge 10440's, this isn't your charger.

    Yes, if you live in a 110v country, you'll need a wall wart.

    If all you want is to charge 18650's that actually meet the length specification ( don't blame the charger, blame the company that made your batteries too long!) and your envelops, then this charger is good.

    These are my needs, and they've been met.

    There seems to be an attitude here of "Since it won't work in America, then It has no redeeming qualities at all and is complete junk"

    It's certainly better than most cheap chargers out there.
    This has nothing to do with America.... this one single bullet alone makes this a never gonna buy it for me:
    -Small variations in charge voltage and termination current

    All it takes is ONE li-ion that doesn't correctly terminate to cause you a problem. A charger needs to work reliably and predictably every single time. I would never buy any electronic circuit that performed as erratically as this charger. It REEKS of a poor design and poor build. I'm an electrical engineer and would never accept this level of slop on my circuits. Even on my good chargers I don't like it when cells charger differently from bay to bay. I just hope that most people looking for a cheap fix don't end up regretting it.

  13. #163

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    This could be slop that occurs after the electrical circuit... Would be interesting of there were test points on the pcb, to hook up a DMM there and see what the charger sees.

  14. #164

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    My guess is that a lot of it is from buying very very cheap components that are poorly binned. Every electric circuit/chip/etc will be fabbed with tolerances. Poorly made ones will have wider tolerances that still allow it to "pass" quality control. Add onto that a noisy power supply and who knows what other factors and it doesn't surprise me that this charger is performing as randomly as it appears to be from user to user. Even if I had a "good" one, I wouldn't trust it. And even if it's worked for you so far, it does nothing to inspire me that it will continue to do so. More so, if you haven't personally tested it, maybe you don't have any problems because you simply aren't looking for them.

  15. #165
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,358

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by infinus View Post
    -Small variations in charge voltage and termination current

    All it takes is ONE li-ion that doesn't correctly terminate to cause you a problem. A charger needs to work reliably and predictably every single time. I would never buy any electronic circuit that performed as erratically as this charger. It REEKS of a poor design and poor build. I'm an electrical engineer and would never accept this level of slop on my circuits. Even on my good chargers I don't like it when cells charger differently from bay to bay. I just hope that most people looking for a cheap fix don't end up regretting it.
    I am very puzzled about this variation, but everything I have seen has been safe (Except if you have a unprotected battery that fail to charge and you put it in series with a charged battery).

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
    This could be slop that occurs after the electrical circuit... Would be interesting of there were test points on the pcb, to hook up a DMM there and see what the charger sees.
    I do not believe this, look at 4Sevens charger, it has stable termination voltage and current.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

  16. #166

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I am very puzzled about this variation, but everything I have seen has been safe (Except if you have a unprotected battery that fail to charge and you put it in series with a charged battery).
    I agree. Especially since some of the channels are shared. This would make you think that they would have similar termination points, but you aren't seeing this right?

    I just don't like it. I also don't like the shared channels. I would much rather see independent charge channels. I don't necessarily have a great reason for that, just a personal preference.

  17. #167

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Actually, I thought of a new test.... HKJ, have you confirmed that channel 1 terminates at the same current every time? I almost wonder if the pulse charging used causes slight variations in what the charger is measuring as voltage and current going into the cell somehow. If the termination current from charge cycle to charge cycle also changes this could speak to this.

  18. #168
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,358

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by infinus View Post
    Actually, I thought of a new test.... HKJ, have you confirmed that channel 1 terminates at the same current every time? I almost wonder if the pulse charging used causes slight variations in what the charger is measuring as voltage and current going into the cell somehow. If the termination current from charge cycle to charge cycle also changes this could speak to this.
    Most of the curves are from slot #1 and it does vary in current. The variations are too large for that, it is no problem to make a exact current measurement in two seconds (that is the time between pulses), my test system measures each second.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

  19. #169

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    I don't guess this one would charge NiZn AA's would it? a great alternative to multiple chargers though..... maybe this one and the PowerGenix for the Ni-Zn's.....


    Barry
    Changing the world one Flashoholic at a time...

  20. #170
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,358

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    I don't guess this one would charge NiZn AA's would it? a great alternative to multiple chargers though..... maybe this one and the PowerGenix for the Ni-Zn's.....


    Barry
    It does definitely not charger NiZn, only some* LiIon and NiMH/NiCD.

    * There are many types of LiIon batteries, this charger only handles 3.6/3.7 volt cells that must be charged to 4.2 volt (This is the most common type).
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

  21. #171

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Wooow I want one of this!!!!
    I do not know trickle charge in intelligent mode, I would like to see the cut out voltage for the 18650s?

  22. #172
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by robertito View Post
    Wooow I want one of this!!!!
    I do not know trickle charge in intelligent mode, I would like to see the cut out voltage for the 18650s?
    I recommend you review this thread first.
    Last edited by TyJo; 10-28-2011 at 05:35 PM.

  23. #173
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    777

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    + 1
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

  24. #174

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Sorry if this shouldn't be posted here, but are there any alternative chargers that will do 4 18650's simultaneously?

  25. #175
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    777

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    You have to remember, that even if this thing worked exactly as advertised, it would still take twice as long to charge 4x 18650 as it would two. In other words, if you were charging 2000mAh cells (for easy math), it would charge two cells @ 1A and would take two hours; it would charge four cells at only 500mA, and would take four hours. If all you are charging is 18650s, there are many better choices; the main (intended) selling point of this charger is to be able to charge many sizes of two types of cells (Li-ion and NiCd) at the same, at an affordable price.
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

  26. #176

    Default

    Got the charger in and used it on my AA, rcr123 and my 3000mah 18650's. Seems to have done a great job and am very happy. The charge held in the batteries seem to be the same as the dedicated chargers.

  27. #177

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    This was posted over in the MP, but I thought it was important enough to be posted here as well


    "Dear Customer:

    Sysmax i4 Charger Recall (For US market)

    Sysmax Corporation is voluntarily recalling the Sysmax i4 Charger due to a compatibility issues with US AC 110V electrical standard.

    A recent review of the Sysmax i4 chargers shows that certain battery types may not charge correctly when using the included power cord. We have also been made aware of potential issues when charging different battery chemistry types at the same time. Therefore, we are instructing US customers who have purchased a Sysmax i4 charger to contact their dealer for return instructions.

    As a precautionary measure, Sysmax recommends you immediately discontinue using the i4 charger. If customers choose, Sysmax will mail out a replacement 12V DC wall wart adapter as a replacement for the stock cord. These customers will receive a complimentary replacement unit as soon as they become available.

    Sysmax is currently working on a revised i4 charger for the US market. The new i4 V2 charger will be sent out to select US reviewers for approval to make sure they are compatible with US 110V standard. No other Sysmax products are affected by this recall.

    We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and assure you that our engineers are working feverishly to resolve this issue. We appreciate your cooperation and attention to this matter.

    Sincerely,
    SYSMAX Corporation"

    Regards,
    Flavio
    BugoutGearUSA.com

  28. #178

    Default

    Guess I will need to call and find out what is going on. Will report back when I get definitive information.

  29. #179
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,736

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Good to know. I've forwarded the recall notice to GoingGear to see if they're assisting with the recall.

  30. #180

    Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Good to know. I've forwarded the recall notice to GoingGear to see if they're assisting with the recall.
    Funny. I did the same thing. I know Marshal and the crew will handle it. They are a great company to work with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •