Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

Default Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

I probably won't receive my i4 till tomorrow, but does anyone know if the Sysmax Intellicharge i4 uses the ideal CC/CV charging algorithm like a Pila charger???
    If it doesn't, then how is the i4 disadvantaged compared to the Pila charging algorithm?

Any photo`s of the pcb , is there any temperature sensing ???

Thanks

John.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

Has anyone charged a RCR123 battery yet?
    According to the specs if you charge one it will receive 750ma - isn't this way too much for a battery with a capacity of 750mah of its own?

Quote Originally Posted by raphaello View Post
    Has anyone charged a RCR123 battery yet?
    According to the specs if you charge one it will receive 750ma - isn't this way too much for a battery with a capacity of 750mah of its own?
    From what I understand, an acceptable starting charge rate for lithium ion is .5C - 1.0C, with .7C being about ideal. FYI, C basically means the current required to fully charge or discharge the battery in one hour, so 1C for a 750mAh battery is 750mA, and .7C would be 525mA.

So, while 750mA might be on the high side for an RCR123, I think it should be fine.

I just checked, AW RCR123 750mAh cells have a max charge rate of 1.5A (2C). Lower quality cells might have a lower max charge rate.

Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    I probably won't receive my i4 till tomorrow, but does anyone know if the Sysmax Intellicharge i4 uses the ideal CC/CV charging algorithm like a Pila charger???
    If it doesn't, then how is the i4 disadvantaged compared to the Pila charging algorithm?
    I dont remember where I read it, yes it is...

SFMI4UT
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

Quote Originally Posted by Changchung View Post
    I dont remember where I read it, yes it is...
    SFMI4UT
    Thanks for that.
    I just received mine.
    Apart from the yellow labelling, there is no indication that it is Version 2.
    The box does say that it has CC, CV, and trickle charging...

Thanks for the information. That sounds great as I can now charge all of the batteries I'm currently using (AA, CR123, 18650) with one device

Thanks for that.
    I just received mine.
    Apart from the yellow labelling, there is no indication that it is Version 2.
    The box does say that it has CC, CV, and trickle charging...
    Hi, after doing a search about were I read this I think that I confused this charger with other that I was looking before I buy this one. Sorry about this

SFMI4UT
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600

The Sysmax Intellicharge i4 does have CC, CV and trickle charging.
    It is written on the box, and also on Nitecore and Jetbeam's website eg nitecore.com/goods.php?id=29 and jet-beam.com/links/accessories/i4.aspx ...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 04-17-2012 at 03:45 AM.

The Sysmax Intellicharge i4 does have CC, CV and trickle charging.
    It is written on the box, and also on Nitecore and Jetbeam's website eg nitecore.com/goods.php?id=29 and jet-beam.com/links/accessories/i4.aspx ...
    Just because it is on the box, does not necessary make it correct.
    It does not have trickle charging.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    It is not the fastest charger around, for 3100mAh it is nearly 11 hours:

Hi HKJ

Is this charging duration consider normal? I have been charging slot 1 & 3 for ET 18650 3100 x 2 for seven hours. I would expect IT to complete within 5 or so... It is kinda let now. Kindly enlighten What is the usual duration base on my trial above?

Quote Originally Posted by Frakymjay View Post
    Hi HKJ

Is this charging duration consider normal? I have been charging slot 1 & 3 for ET 18650 3100 x 2 for seven hours. I would expect IT to complete within 5 or so... It is kinda let now. Kindly enlighten What is the usual duration base on my trial above?
    Yes, this is normal for 3 or 4 batteries. If you only uses slot 1 and 2 you can do it in about 6˝ hour.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Just because it is on the box, does not necessary make it correct.
    It does not have trickle charging.
    It is advertised/claimed to trickle charge both on the two Jetbeam and Nitecore websites, and on the box.
    HKJ, have you tested it, and found out that there is no trickle charge?
    I did read your Version 1 review, but I don't think I came across any mention about there being no trickle charge?
    Is the trickle charge good? Because the Pila charger has no trickle charge...

Flashaholic*

Some will remember the Pila charger marketing materials describing it as a trickle charger, which it most certainly is not.

I would not purchase a charger that did "trickle" charge li-ion or NiMH cells, the latter because trickle charging can kill cells, the former because trickle charging can kill me.

Maybe Sysmax copied some of Pila's verbiage.

HKJ, have you tested it, and found out that there is no trickle charge?
    Yes.
    On LiIon you do not want trickle charging, on old style NiMH (i.e. non LSD cell), it can be an advantage (Because the battery is always full, when left in the charger), but it is not needed on LSD cell.

I did read your Version 1 review, but I don't think I came across any mention about there being no trickle charge?
    Not directly, I only measured the current levels.

FYI, my review of the second edition of this charger is now up:

Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

I got 5 hours to fully charge a 2200mAh 18650, so HKJ's report of 6.5 hours for a 3100mAh sounds about right (given most of the charging time is spent in CC mode).

And I also detected no trickle charge - just a really low uA current once the charging lights went solid (negligible, and not a concern).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch T20.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I use a flashlight that uses a single old RCR123A approx 700mah or less, i removed the label so i cannot tell, anyway i always run the flashlight till the low voltage protection circuit kicks in, so i decided to charge it in my v2 i4, I expected the battery to get hot, being charged at an excess of 1C, but i monitored the temperature with an infra-red thermometer and it never went above 22c , so i was very happily surprised.

John.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

What is the difference between v2 and v1? I got mine from battery junction. How long should 4000mah 26650 take to charge?
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    I use a flashlight that uses a single old RCR123A approx 700mah or less, ... i decided to charge it in my v2 i4, I expected the battery to get hot, being charged at an excess of 1C, but i monitored the temperature with an infra-red thermometer and it never went above 22c , so i was very happily surprised.
    I'm not surprised, as it really isn't 1C.

As you can see in that graph from my i4 review, on 1xRCR the charger drops out of CC mode in about 3 mins. After that, it is a slow drop off in current. So the average charging current across the ~2 hrs it take is more like something in the mid-300 mAh range (i.e. ~0.5C).

Note that the above graph is specific for 1xRCR. On 1x18650, I get something very close to the classic CC/CV algorithm. Again see my review for more details.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch T20.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Man, that's one funky algorithm..... I wonder what it's criteria is for kicking out of CC? On the 1 RCR it dropped out by 3.8 volts while on the 18650 it dropped out at over 4?

I didn't buy a car charger lead. Does any body know the polarity of the centre pin ? Is it centre positive?

Thanks
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Quote Originally Posted by mohanjude View Post
    I didn't buy a car charger lead. Does any body know the polarity of the centre pin ? Is it centre positive?

Thanks
    Yes, center is positive... You can find it in ebay for less than 5$

SFMI4UT

Yes, center is positive... You can find it in ebay for less than 5$

SFMI4UT
    Thanks
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Flashaholic

the old version one works just fine with a 12 volt source

charges 4 Lion cells - no problem

Thinking Re: JETBeam Intellicharge i4

Hi all,

I new to the community and I got "the sickness"

Part of it was buying Intellicharger i4, therfore I have a question:

When one battery is charged, do I have to wait for the others to charge or can I remove it?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I could not find anything via search.

Flashaholic*

That doesn't sound like a stupid question at all; the charger has only two independent charge channels. Channels 2 and 4 and 1 and 3 work as a team. If all were fully independent then you'd be able to take out cells at will, but that isn't the case.

If you have four cells in and remove one, thus potentially affecting what the charger thinks it knows about the other paired bay, what happens to the charge process at the other bay for that channel?

Maybe ask HJK in his review thread on this charger.

Thanks for the fast response. I will ask HJK
    Jetbeam - PC20, PA10
    Fenix - LD22
    Klarus - XT2C

24 hours is definitely not within specifications for the charger. I used about 11 hours to charger 4 x 3100mAh batteries.

What voltage is the 110V exactly? In my test it is 107V and only 50Hz
    Hi HKJ, I just receive 4 panasonic 18650 3100, all comes in 3,16v put all four in the charger at 2:25pm full charged at 8:40pm cutting charge at 4,19v using the 12volts DC connection with a external power supply.

I check the AC voltaje and is 109v 60hz

The next time I will use the AC connection to charge all four to test the charge time.

I think too that the old 4 batteries that I charge the first time had a high internal resistence.

SFMI4UT

Hi HKJ, I just receive 4 panasonic 18650 3100, all comes in 3,16v put all four in the charger at 2:25pm full charged at 8:40pm cutting charge at 4,19v using the 12volts DC connection with a external power supply.
    Were these batts old/used? My understanding was that new Li-on batts would measure around 3.6v when new/before charged up.