Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy, as usual. :cool:

UPDATE NOVEMBER 6, 2013: This model has been replaced with a new version, the SC600 Mk II L2. Please see my full review of that light for more info.

SC600003.jpg

The SC600 is the long-anticipated 1x18650-only light from Zebralight. Let's see how it performs … :whistle:

Manufacturer Specifications:
  • LED: Cree XM-L Cool White (Norminal CCT 6300K)
  • User Selectable Levels: 3 main level (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High (H2) can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.
  • Light Output:
  • High: H1 500Lm with 750Lm turbo in the first 5 min (2hrs) or H2 200Lm (5.9hrs) / 330Lm (3hrs) / 500Lm (2.1hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
  • Medium: M1 65Lm (18hrs) or M2 21Lm (50hrs)
  • Low: L1 2.8Lm (280hrs) or L2 0.1Lm (80days)
  • Runtimes are tested using Panasonic NCR18650 (2900mAH) batteries. Light output are out the front (OTF) values. All levels are current regulated.
  • Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V - 4.2V
  • Battery: One 18650 size (up to 67mm long) 3.6/3.7V Li-ion rechargeable battery. Batteries are not included in the package.
  • Parasitic Drain: Negligible (equivalent to 6 years)
  • Beam Type: 80 degree spill, 10 degree hot spot
  • Dimensions: Bezel Diameter: 30mm, Body Diameter: 25.4mm, Length: 107mm
  • Weight: 3.2 oz(90.8 g) without battery
  • Built-in over-discharging protection with 2.7V cutoff
  • Side click electronic soft-touch switch
  • Smart user interface provides fast and easy access to all brightness levels
  • Precision machined unibody casing from premium grade Alcoa aluminum bar stock
  • Proprietary heat sinking design bonds the LED board directly to the unibody aluminum casing, providing unblocked thermal paths to most of the surface area.
  • Durable natural hard anodized finish (Type III Class I)
  • Ultra clear lens with anti-reflection coatings on both sides
  • Orange peel textured reflector
  • Battery power can be locked out by slightly unscrewing the tailcap to prevent unwanted activations or parasitic drain
  • Waterproof to IPX8 (2 meters, 30 minutes)
  • Operations: Light has 3 main levels (High, Medium, and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.
  • Basic Operation: Short click turns on the light to High or turns off the light. Long click (press and hold for about 0.7 seconds) turns on the light to Low.
  • Advanced Operation and Configuration
  • Short click turns on the light to High. Short click again quickly to cycle from High to Medium, and Low.
  • Press and hold to cycle from Low to High, release to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
  • Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections (except the strobe) for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
  • The second sub-level of the High can be configured after 6 double clicks. Double click (starting with the 7th) to cycle and select different brightness levels or strobes. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-level of the High are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
  • MSRP: ~$95
SC600002.jpg

Inside the standard eco-friendly Zebralight cardboard box, you fill find the light with clip attached, spare o-rings, and manual.

SC600015.jpg

SC600008.jpg

From left to right: AW Protected 18650, Zebralight SC600, Spark SL6, 4Sevens Quark 123-2, Lumintop ED20, Thrunite 2C

All weights with no batteries.

SC600: Weight 87.2g, Length: 107.8mm, Width (bezel) 29.7mm
Spark SL6: Weight 77.8g, Length: 125.5mm, Width (bezel): 30.9mm
Lumintop ED20: Weight 84.4g, Length 121.6mm, Width (bezel) 25.2mm
Klarus XT10: Weight 121.3g, Length: 144.8, Width (bezel) 34.9mm

The SC600 is quite compact, similar to other petite lights like the Spark SL6 and Lumintop ED20 – but even shorter!

SC600004.jpg

SC600007.jpg

SC600005.jpg

The build of the SC600 is distinctive, with its relatively large head (for such a compact body). Natural anodizing is typical for Zebralight, and is in excellent shape here. There are some faint ridges or longitudinal lines in the anodizing, but this is commonly seen on natural finish lights. There is also some mismatch in the anodizing color at the tailcap (but this is again common).

Labels are fairly minimal and small, and clearly legible against the background.

Knurling is not very aggressive on the body, but does provide good grip to the tailcap. There are also finger wells and other body elements to help with grip. Screw threads are anodized for tailcap lock-out. :thumbsup:

As always with Zebralight, the control switch is electronic in nature, and located on the head. Switch feel is slightly stiffer than most lights with this kind of switch, and the button is slightly recessed in the opening.

Light can tailstand.

Clip-on pocket clip looks and feels more substantial than typical in this class. It should hold the light securely. Note the clip is reversible (i.e. can attach near the head, point toward the tail), but you may scratch the anodizing if you try to remove and re-attach.

There is a slightly raised button on the positive contact board in the head, and all my flat-top high capacity cells fit and worked in the light. :)

Video Overview

NEW: Normally at this point in the review, I like to show the emitter/reflector and beamshots. But I'm trying something new out - video reviews showing both the basic build and user interface. Check it out below - beamshots will follow after the user interface and circuit discussion.

Video was recorded in 480p, but YouTube defaults to 360p. Once the video is running, you can click on the 360p icon in the lower right-hand corner, and select the higher 480p option. :)

User Interface

The SC600 uses a variant of the standard Zebralight interface. While it may sound a little complex when first described, it is actually quite easy to use.

On/off and mode switching is controlled by the electronic clicky switch. There are 9 possible output modes, arranged in 3 sets of pairs. The main level choices are Lo – Med – Hi. There are two possible outputs at each level, commonly referred to as 1 or 2 (e.g. Lo1/Lo2, Med1/Med2, Hi1/Hi2). The Hi level is where things get interesting – you have the option of 4 possible outputs for H2 (including the strobe mode – more about that in a moment).

Basic Operation

Note that the light has independent mode memory to recall your preference at each of the Lo, Med, Hi levels (i.e. always come back to the choice you last left that level in).

From Off, a quick click turns on the light to your memorized Hi. Click quickly again to cycle from Hi to Med, and Low. You need to perform these clicks rapidly if you want to switch modes this way (i.e. from Off, single-click is Hi, double-click is Med, triple-click is Lo). After about a second or so of being On, a quick click will simply turn the light off.

Alternatively, from Off, a slightly longer press and hold (i.e. >0.5 sec) turns on the light to your preferred Lo mode.

To advance from one mode to the next while the light is On, press and hold the switch to cycle through Lo, Med and Hi, repeatedly (you can do this directly from Off too). Release the switch to select the level. As before, a quick click turns off the light.

Change between output choices for a given level

Double click at any level to toggle between the two sub-levels for that level (i.e. 1 or 2). The light will memorize your choice and return to it next time you cycle or turn on at this level. The memory even lasts through battery changes.

For the Hi level, you can set the Hi2 to one of four outputs. To enter the programming feature from the current Hi2 level, double-click the light 6 times rapidly. Now, every additional double-click will advance you through the four programmable options (200Lm, 330Lm, 500Lm, or 4Hz Strobe). To select the mode you want as H2, simply turn off the light once you have made your choice. When you next turn it on, that last level will have been memorized and returned to automatically.

And that's it – it is really very simple in practice, once you get used to the timings.

PWM/Strobe

There is no sign of PWM on any of the 9 possible levels. I conclude the light must be current-controlled. :)

SC600-Strobe.gif

The SC600 "hidden" Hi2 strobe was measured at a fairly low 3.2 Hz frequency in my testing (i.e. more a signalling strobe than a tactical one).

Standby Current Drain

Due to the electronic switch, all Zebralights have a constant parasitic stand-by current drain when the tailcap is connected.

In this case, I am happy to report the standby current is a fairly neglible 69.6uA. For a typical 2600mAh 18650, that would translate into 4.26 years before a battery would be completely discharged. :thumbsup:

And as always, this current can be cut by simply unscrewing the tailcap a quarter turn when the light is not in use (which I recommend for all lights with a standby drain).

Beamshots:

And now the part you've all been waiting for. ;)

SC600006.jpg

SC600011.jpg

The SC600 reflector has fairly typical dimensions (perhaps a little shallower than some), with a medium OP coating. This suggests the light will not be a great thrower. XM-L emitter was well centered on my sample.

For white-wall beamshots, all lights are on AW protected 18650, about ~0.75 meter from the wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences. All beamshots taken immediately upon activation.

SC600-Beam001.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam001.jpg

SL6CW-Beam001.jpg
SL6CW-Diff-Beam001.jpg

SC600-Beam002.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam002.jpg

SL6CW-Beam002.jpg
SL6CW-Diff-Beam002.jpg

SC600-Beam003.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam003.jpg

SL6CW-Beam003.jpg
SL6CW-Diff-Beam003.jpg

SC600-Beam004.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam004.jpg

SL6CW-Beam004.jpg

As expected, the beam profile is fairly floody on the SC600.

Here is a 100-yard outdoor beamshot comparison to the Spark SL6, in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up reviews:

SC600-SL6.gif

See that thread above for more info on the terrain, on how best to interpret these images.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

Effective November 2010, I have revised my summary tables to match with the current ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1.htm for a description of the terms used in these tables.

SC600-FL1-Summary.gif

Well, this is impressive – the SC600 is the highest output 1x18650 in my collection at the moment. :eek:oo: Output closely rivals the 1x26650 4Sevens X10.

As you can also see, throw is relatively low for the class and output, but still reasonable.

As an aside, Zebralight's lumen estimate seems bang-on for the Hi1 mode. :)

Output/Runtime Comparison:

SC600-Max18650.gif

SC600-Hi18650.gif

SC600-Med18650.gif

SC600-Lo18650.gif

As with many high-output lights, the SC600 steps down in output at 5 mins into the Max Hi1 run. This can be overcome by simply clicking the light off-on again at this point (i.e. it is a simple timer mechanism). Note that like other highly-driven lights, the quality of cells is critical here – cheaper/heavily-used 18650 cells may not be able to provide a sustained current at these levels for 5mins.

The SC600 is fully regulated and remarkably efficient at all levels tested. :thumbsup: Both of these aspects are likely due to the restricted voltage range (i.e. only 1x18650 accepted), allowing for a better optimized circuit. According to Zebralight, the larger head also allows them more room on the circuit for a larger and more efficient inductor.

End of the day, if you don't mind the 1x18650 limitation, you get the most efficient circuit that I've seen to date on 18650. :)

Potential Issues

The SC600 doesn't take 2xCR123A or 3.7V Li-ion sources, only 1x18650.

As with other heavily-driven lights, some 18650s may not be able to handle the sustained discharge rate. I recommend you stick with high-quality cells (my AW and Redilast cells all worked fine).

Switch timing takes a little getting used, if you aren't already familiar with Zebralight.

Preliminary Observations

The SC600 packs a lot of punch – more than any other 1x18650 I've tested to date, including both the Thrunite Scorpion V2 and Spark SL6. :faint: It also has the most efficient and well-regulated circuit I've seen in this class. Oh, and have I mentioned it's incredibly tiny too? ;)

That's an awful lot to distinguish this light. Of course, as with all things, there are some trade-offs here. The high efficiency and full regulation comes at the expense of a wider voltage range, preventing you from running 2xCR123A or 2xRCR. And the compact size means you can't get a greatly focused beam – the SC600 is more of a floody light.

The overall build, switch feel, UI and circuit functioning will seem very familiar to Zebralight owners. But as always, there are a few innovations here – like the extra selectable levels for the Hi2, additional grip elements (knurling and finger wells), and a newly designed clip. All of these are welcomed in my books, and I like that Zebralight constantly updates and expands the build/UI of their lights with each new release/model. :)

With all the levels and options, I find there's something here for everyone. Well, except maybe you tactical strobe folks :rolleyes: – but for once, I'm glad to see a maker provide a more generally useful slow signaling strobe. And no, it isn't a great thrower, but there are other (larger) lights in this class to consider, if that is what you are looking for.

End of the day, if you want an incredibly bright, relatively floody, efficient and tiny 1x18650 light, then I think you should give the SC600 a close, hard look.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 6, 2013: This model has been replaced with a new version, the SC600 Mk II L2. Please see my full review of that light for more info.

----

SC600 provided by Zebralight for review.

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Excellent review as usual! + I really dig the new video section as well!

Cheers,
Tim

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Excellent review, as always thanks selfbuilt.
This just supports my opinion of this as a fantastic light. And I was interested to see your lightbox output result.
As for the tradeoff of not being able to take 123s... Well, that's only a tradeoff for those who want to use 123s - which I don't - so it's not even a tradeoff at all for me. This is one of the best lights I own. :thumbsup:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the excellent review selfbuilt. I really like the addition of the video review. The SC600 is one very nice light. Just got mine today and I'm already enamored with it.
love-1.png

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing worth mentioning is the revised switch. It takes more pressure to turn it on compared to prior zebralights and it is also more recessed than prior zebralights. This one will never accidently activate in your pocket. I've been carrying mine around without the clip since it came out and I did not have one accidental activation.

Great review (as always). I also like the video. The SC600 is currently one of my favorite lights.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Excellent review as usual! + I really dig the new video section as well!
Thanks for the excellent review selfbuilt. I really like the addition of the video review.
Thanks, I figured these would be popular. I plan to keep doing these on upcoming lights. Most will be about this length, but some of the more complicated lights may be longer. I kept the build and UI description fairly lengthy in text in this review, but I will likely shorten the text in future ones (as it is often easier to explain by showing in the video instead).

One thing worth mentioning is the revised switch. It takes more pressure to turn it on compared to prior zebralights and it is also more recessed than prior zebralights. This one will never accidently activate in your pocket. I've been carrying mine around without the clip since it came out and I did not have one accidental activation.
Yes, I notice that as well - both the feel and recessed nature (and mentioned it in the review, but it is somewhat lost in all the text). I like it, as it gives the switch a more substantial feel. And as you say, it should limit accidental activations. :thumbsup:

swan

Banned

Thanks Selfbuilt- 170 ceiling bounce out of a small single 18650 light,wheres my credit card?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent review!

I've been using the SC600 for about two weeks now (obtained lightly used off the marketplace from a fellow CPF member). It has quickly become my favored light -- at least based on how often I seem to have it in hand. It's just an amazing light for its size -- kind of a little giant.

I've got a family room that's about 20x20 feet and I always test ceiling bounce in there just for grins (just visually, no measurements involved). This thing lights the room up like nothing else I've got except for perhaps the ElektroLumens EDC-P7.

I've even used the SC600 on a Fenix Headband, although it had to be attached to one of the mounts with a TwoFish Lockblock (too wide a body to fit the regular mount).

Again, excellent review. I've been waiting somewhat anxiously to see this. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Li-Ion

Newly Enlightened

Excellent review. Awaiting for neutral version SC600w.

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened

Selfbuit:

What color tint is your review sample? Any tint of green?

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Selfbuilt! Magnificent review, as always. And I agree: this is currently my favorite light! And, not to derail the thread, but just for perspective: I waited over a full year after the initial false start 'announcement' for what would eventually become the 4sevens S12--an excellent light for sure... But the SC600 is everything that I hoped the S12 would be and more: a true pocket cannon that is easy to use, easy to carry and well made!

BBL

Enlightened

Great review, thanks selfbuilt!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

You really nailed this review I've had mine since the release and it really is my favorite light I've ever owned, I have a pretty good collection and have seen just about everything but nothing really comes to the usefulness of the SC600 as a EDC light. You have your choice of a few different high levels including the crazy bright H1 and a low-low with well placed mediums in between, you also have what I believe is the most practical UI out right now and then you can throw in the toughness along with the size and use of Li-Ion rechargeable.

Let me say their is a drawback to owning a SC600 and I'm being very serious when I say it's now very tough as a light collector to purchase other light's, the special little feeling I use to get when seeing a new light thinking it may just be my next favorite light, then ordering said light only to think it's nice but nothing I will probably carry. Thank you SC600 thank very much. :shrug:

Li-Ion

Newly Enlightened

Fully regulated = buck/boost driver in this flashlight?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the great review as always. Selfbuilt! :thumbsup:

It comes as very surprise to know SC600 is heavier than Spark SL6 & Lumintop ED20 even though it is the shortest of all.

And it shows the great runtime graph & regulation. Wow! :eek: :eek:oo: :sick2:

xed888

Enlightened

Hi Selfbuilt,

Quick question about the SC600 vs the Spark SL6. The Spark rates its Turbo at 800 lms but your light box values says it has 650? Might you have left it on high, per chance? Its nice to see the SC600 owning everything else on the list except the Maelstrom :D

Great review!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Glad you are all enjoying the review. :grouphug:

Thanks Selfbuilt- 170 ceiling bounce out of a small single 18650 light,wheres my credit card?
I should add, my ceiling bounce is done in a small, bare closet, with white walls. You would find a lower absolute value in a regular room - but of course, it is the relative comparisons that matter here.

Excellent review. Awaiting for neutral version SC600w.
What color tint is your review sample? Any tint of green?
Mine was a Cool White sample, but I hope/expect that Neutral/Warm emitter will be coming soon (i.e. Zebralight has typically come out with these). Tint was a premium cool white on my sample, no real green or purple.

You have your choice of a few different high levels including the crazy bright H1 and a low-low with well placed mediums in between, you also have what I believe is the most practical UI out right now and then you can throw in the toughness along with the size and use of Li-Ion rechargeable.
The spacing of levels is excellent, and the UI is very functional IMO. I like how ZL continues to refine the interface and build. I EDCed the SC50w for a period of time, and the SC600 is a definite improvement in use and feel (i.e. I like the siffer/recessed button). :)

It comes as very surprise to know SC600 is heavier than Spark SL6 & Lumintop ED20 even though it is the shortest of all.
Yes, it is a substantial light, with apparently a heavier mass heatsink (which is good, considering how hard it is driven on max).

Fully regulated = buck/boost driver in this flashlight?
I would have to leave it to others with more experience to discuss how ZL manages it in this case, but I don't see off-hand why a buck would be necessary (given the 4.2V max voltage range). But I'm happy to defer to the experts here ...

Quick question about the SC600 vs the Spark SL6. The Spark rates its Turbo at 800 lms but your light box values says it has 650? Might you have left it on high, per chance?
No, the SL6 was running on max. My estimated lumen measures are all based on FL-1 standard of max output at 3 mins (which is before any of the lights step down in this case).

The important point here is that my lumen estimates are just that - see the method section of my review to a link explaining how they are calculated. The absolute lumen value is only as good as the data on which I am basing the conversion. But the relative comparison of output should be valid among all lights, regardless. In this case, my lumen estimates at 3 min indicate a 16.9% increase in output of the SC600 relative to the SL6 (i.e. (760 - 650) / 650 * 100 = 16.9% increase).

FYI, my ceiling bounce numbers are direct measures, taken at 30 secs into the run, under identical conditions. As you can see here, my SC600 is 16.4% brighter than the SL6 (i.e. (170-146) / 146 * 100 = 16.4% increase). That's a remarkably consistent concordance with my estimate FL-1 lumens.

That said, the SC600 has a less throwy beam, with wider spill. Both of these features may be giving it a slight edge in the lightbox and ceiling bounce closet (i.e. neither is a perfect integrating sphere). But those differences are not enough to account for that magnitude increase. By eye, the SC600 seems margnally brighter than the SL6 (although again, spill may be contributing to that too).

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also the Max mode runtime graph shows both the SL6 and the SC 600 dropping down after 5 mins, but the SC600 is running at a higher brightness throughout, and also lasts longer. Very impressive.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

[*]Proprietary heat sinking design bonds the LED board directly to the unibody aluminum casing, providing unblocked thermal paths to most of the surface area.

Any thoughts on using the SC600 in max mode for extended periods of time and how heat buildup in the body affects the actual handling of the light (in hand) in a relative sense compared to other similar flashlights?

I assume most flashlights in this general category exhibit somewhat excessive heat buildup when used in max mode for long periods, but I'm wondering how the SC600 compares given its described "proprietary head sinking design."