Fenix TK70 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

HKJ

Flashaholic
Fenix TK70

DSC_8707.jpg

DSC_8785.jpg

Fenix was one of the first Chinese companies that made high quality flashlights and has a broad selection of lights, I have only reviewed a few of them: TK41, LD01, E05 and TK45. This time I look at the most powerful light Fenix has ever made the TK70. The light is also the largest light Fenix has ever made, it uses 3 leds and 4 D batteries. The light has four brightness settings and two flashing modes and uses the same interface as the TK35, TK41 and TK60 (more about that later). The light is made of aluminum with hard-anodized (Type 3) finish.

DSC_8583.jpg
DSC_8584.jpg

The light is delivered in a cardboard box with foam insert.

DSC_8585.jpg

DSC_8586.jpg

The box contains the light (head, 2xbody, tailcap), 3 extra o-rings, a lanyard, a shoulder strap, 3 caps for the head and battery tube, a manual and a warranty card. Note: The tube is in two parts, a 3 and a 1 D cell, they have to be used together because the light need 4 D cells to work.

DSC_8708.jpg
DSC_8709.jpg
DSC_8710.jpg

The light has a triple smooth reflector with a 3 XM-L led at the bottom. The sides of the bezel has some plain faces, this work as a anti roll device.

DSC_8712.jpg
DSC_8722.jpg

As usual on high power lights it has some cooling fins and just behind the fins are the switches. One switch is on/off and with a double click it will change between normal and flashing modes. The other switch is used to select brightness (low-medium-high-turbo) or flashing mode (sos-strobe), press on it to change brightness or flashing mode. The last selection of this switch is remembered and the light will start at the same setting next time it is turned on. Note: The light never starts in flashing modes, always in steady brightness modes.

DSC_8717.jpg

The battery connection in the head is recessed to provide mechanical polarity protection. There is a spring behind the center connection, i.e. the batteries will rest on the plastic ring with the body, not on the plus connection with the nipple.

DSC_8716.jpg

The head uses square cut threads for connection to the body. There is also a o-ring to seal the connection from water.

DSC_8713.jpg
DSC_8721.jpg

The body is cut with large rectangles to improve the grip, except the extender part.

DSC_8720.jpg
DSC_8718.jpg

The tailcap is flat, i.e. the light can tail stand, but due to the length of the light it is not very safe. The tailcap has the usual spring for battery connection.

DSC_9013.jpg

The light includes 3 caps that can be placed over the threads when the light is disassembled, but these caps does not have any type of lock and will only stay on if there is something external to hold them.

DSC_9014.jpg

The light includes a lanyard and a shoulder strap, but I do not like the design. The strap is very thin and the light is missing a forward mounting point for the strap.

DSC_8702.jpg
DSC_8705.jpg

Here are some examples on how the shoulder strap can be mounted.

DSC_8715.jpg

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

The TK70 is the brightest led light at the current time, it has not only a very high lumen output, but the 3 emitters are also focused very well, giving the light a good throw. I wonder why it has a two part body, when it can only work with 4 batteries and I do not like the shoulder strap, it is too thin and there is no mounting point on the head.
Looking at the price may explain the reason for the less than ideal solutions Fenix has used here, the light is cheap compared to other high power led lights, but it is the brightest of them.

Technical specification and measurements

DSC_8738.jpg

This light is designed for 4xD NiMH batteries and can work on 4xD Alkaline or 3xD batteries, but only at the lower power settings.

Measured size and weight:
Length: 404 mm
Diameter: 38.2 mmm to 106 mm
Weight: 1462 gram with NiMH batteries

The light uses a 3 x Cree XM-L led.

Measurements.png

In the above table I have collected all modes, measured at 4.8 volt. I have also included off as a mode, because the light uses a small amount of power. All the estimated runtimes are with 9000mAh D batteries. The estimated lumen is scale from the specified maximum. The brightness is a relative measurement from a lux meter.

Fenix%20TK70%20Turbo.png

A voltage sweep at high shows a very nice stabilization. When the voltage goes down the light will automatic change to a lower mode. The light has a very high current consumption and there is some noise from the driver when running in turbo mode.
When the light steps down in brightness it will change the selected brightness, i.e. even if the light is turned off it will next time turn on at the current reduced brightness level, the switch must be used to increase brightness again.

Fenix%20TK70%20High.png

In high the light has perfect stabilization and uses considerable less current than in turbo.

Fenix%20TK70%20Medium.png

Again perfect stabilization, the two dip in current at 3 and 3.3 volt is the low battery warning (The light meter was to slow to register it).

Fenix%20TK70%20Low.png

Low does also have perfect stabilization and does also show the battery warning.

Runtime.png

The good stabilization and automatic step down can also be seen in the runtime. With the alkaline I used (Panasonic) the runtime on turbo was less than one minute and after 26 minutes it drops down to medium. All runtimes where done with 4 cells, the light could not use turbo or high with 3 cells for any length of time.

strobe.png

The light has a dual frequency strobe with 6.8 and 15.4 hz, it changes between them each 1.8 second.

sos.png

The sos uses a 0,37 second dot and it takes 11.8 second to transmit, there is a 2.5 second pause before next sos.

The light is current regulated and there is only a small amount of high frequency noise in the light.

Comparison to other Flashlights

Olight SR90, Olight SR91, Olight SR92
DSC_8932a.jpg
DSC_8933a.jpg
DSC_8934a.jpg

Fenix TK41, Fenix TK60, Fenix TK70:
DSC_8936a.jpg
DSC_8937a.jpg
DSC_8938a.jpg

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Awesome comparison! Thanks. At the price that the TK70 is selling for it's difficult to fault. A very affordable HIGH lumen output light.

edwordsteve

Newly Enlightened
Nice and compact post. You provide all the information and comparison of this light but i don't know why you didn't mention the price of it and available online shopping place.:sssh:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review. I have to disagree on two points, though: The strap is not very wide, but really sufficient to transport the TK70. This light tailstands surprisingly good for the size, provided you have a fairly stable surface or don't move around too close to it, otherwise the sound of it falling can be deafening.

Good work, man, I really like the multiple comparison beam shots.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Very nice review. I have to disagree on two points, though: The strap is not very wide, but really sufficient to transport the TK70. This light tailstands surprisingly good for the size, provided you have a fairly stable surface or don't move around too close to it, otherwise the sound of it falling can be deafening.

Yes, you can transport the light with the strap, but it is a low quality type of strap. Check the Olight SR90, SR91 and SR92 to see how to do it the right way. But there is a significant price difference between the TK70 and the Olight, the TK70 is cheapest and brightest.
I do like both the SR lights and the TK70, but not for the same reasons, TK70 wins on price and brightness, SR lights wins on quality and accessories.

I really like the multiple comparison beam shots.

I believe that the full beamshot with bar graphs and different beamshot locations is a very important part of the review, it provides a perspective on the light, how is it compared to other light on a couple of different parameters.

Everest29035

Newly Enlightened
Great Review. I just got my TK70 in yesterday. It was hard waiting for that darn Sun to go down so I could really see what this thing could do. Its like a 500 foot long light sabre. I had to be careful where I pointed it but indeed it lit up tree tops 2 streets over from were I live. People must have been thinking the police heli was investigating in the area.

I was looking for the best price from a known retailer and I found this on Shopwiseguys for $199 with free shipping and batteries (I tried calling Batt Junction for a price match but they declined)....looking today it went up ten bucks and the batteries (Ray o vac Alkaline PROs) are no longer included. Incidentaly the brand new alkilines will only hold the TK70 in Turbo for about 20 or 30 seconds. Once I put my Tenergy 10,000mah rechargeable cells in there I was good to go.

FYI as a self defense item: I enlisted the wife to take the light and shine it at me when I came in the door. MAN, if you were not expecting this beam, it would take your sight out for a good little while (long enough to Run, Draw, or Bonk them with this club of a light)

Enjoy the light everybody

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI as a self defense item: I enlisted the wife to take the light and shine it at me when I came in the door. MAN, if you were not expecting this beam, it would take your sight out for a good little while (long enough to Run, Draw, or Bonk them with this club of a light)

Enjoy the light everybody

I believe you could easily kill someone with one blow. Medieval maces did not even weigh half of that thing and could go through helmets... I'll certainly transport it inside my backpack when heading for my beamshot location after sunset.

HKJ: I haven't seen the SR90's strap.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It IS a nice strap. The width is much less an issue than having a shoulder pad, which won't cut into your neck as much as the strap might after a few minutes.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another fantastic review, thanks HKJ.
I agree with you, the strap is crap. It's out of context with the rest of the light, like an afterthought.
Real shame. Other than that, an excellent performing light.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review and thanks for your time as always. HKJ! :twothumbs

According to the runtime graph on turbo mode, NiMH runs more than 60 minutes, but alkarine does less than 1 minute.
I don't know why the alkarine on turbo runs for a so shorter time than NiMH. :shakehead

HKJ

Flashaholic
According to the runtime graph on turbo mode, NiMH runs more than 60 minutes, but alkarine does less than 1 minute.
I don't know why the alkarine on turbo runs for a so shorter time than NiMH. :shakehead

The problems is that alkaline cannot deliver 5 to 10 ampere, they where never designed to deliver a high current.

SaVaGe

Enlightened
Thanks for a great review!!:twothumbs

I still dont know...if i should buy this light vs the Olight. I like the fact that its BRIGHT and the price is right. But I also look at Quality. Is it justifiable to lose some quality and gain brightness?? and the price?? pls. response anyone.... im thinking of a big torch for my christmas gift.

xed888

Enlightened
i had both but i returned the SR92 as I couldnt justify keeping both. SR92 is great but less bright. It was also WAY more expensive and as a result, i was afraid to use for fear of scratching it or whatever.

TK70 is more versatile, i.e., you can use alkalines in an emergency or AA to D adaptor or even Li-ions. I use mine with 2 Li-ions and a dummy cell. much lighter and shorter, but not shorter than the SR92 though. using LSD NiMHs you can keep it in the car or whatever.

Of course, you might want the better quality of the SR92. SR92 has a bigger spill but less throw. Warmer tint as well. Real great anodising, i think. But price is one of the most important factors for me :)

Last edited:

Vedak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! I was considering getting one, although mostly for kicks. It's quite a large light.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problems is that alkaline cannot deliver 5 to 10 ampere, they where never designed to deliver a high current.

Thanks for the answer. HKJ! :)
On the turbo mode, Can I assume the current per LED is appro. 3A?
Did you use a pan for cooling the light to check runtime?
Is the automatic step down on turbo due to the time control or temperuture control?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answer. HKJ! :)
Is the automatic step down on turbo due to the time control or temperuture control?

Thanks in advance.
I can answer a couple of those questions:
As it is current controlled output, the total current draw ranges between about 4.5 and 9.5 Amperes on turbo. See the turbo chart. The draw at emitter would be split equally between the three emitters.
The level step-downs are purely voltage based, nothing to do with time or temperature.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Yes, the light uses about 30 to 36 watt on turbo, that is 10 to 12 watt for each led. This is enough to drive a XM-L led at 3 ampere (This requires 10 watt) and also have some driver looses at the higher current.

I uses a fan for cooling.

No, it is because the batteries are low in voltage.

Last edited: