4 Sevens

Thread: 12V battery pack; low voltage; making knocking/ticking noises: Dangerous?

Default 12V battery pack; low voltage; making knocking/ticking noises: Dangerous?

Hey guys,

I've got a Motomaster Eliminator battery booster/power pack.

Kind of looks like this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en- except I can't recall how many Amps it is, and it's an older "analogue" version without any digital readouts, and uses an incandescent bulb instead of LEDs.

Anyway, I brought it with me on a trip out into the country; it was charged when I brought it, but slowly lost its charge, unused, and the level shows "Red" when I push the test button.

Today, it started making ticking/knocking/clicking noises, fairly loud. They sound almost mechanical and are coming from inside the battery's plastic casing. It emits a magnetic field whenever it makes these noises, so something electrical is happening in there.

I tried plugging it in to charge, but it still makes those noises. It's a bit alarming, so I've put it in a box and moved it far away.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise, and what I could do about it? Should I just "wait it out", try charging it, get it farther away, or...?

Really appreciate your help, thanks!

Silver Moderator

Default Re: 12V battery pack; low voltage; making knocking/ticking noises: Dangerous?

Hello R.ticle One,

If it is loosing its charge over a short period of time it may be that the battery is crap. The clicking could be related to the charger switching on and off which could be caused by a crap battery.

You may want to consider taking it apart and doing some testing on the battery.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...