Something about ZL I just don't understand

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I recently got my H60w back from ZL after a bad switch replacement. This is by far my most used light. It has the perfect beam for hiking, camping, working on stuff, and with its ultra low setting, for reading at night and not bothering any body.

So, my question is, with the rumored (till its released, its a rumor) return of the 18650 headland, why would they NOT use a non reflector lens like the H60?

I can't see the advantage to have a spot and flood like most everything they make now. That alone will render it unusable for most of the things I use it for.

I can see where some would favor throw over flood but why not make both?

I've sold several ZL lights just by people loving the beam mine has. To keep such a buttery smooth beam but just make it brighter would just be fantastic.

Oh well, guess I'm just stuck with what I got. Granted, I love it but brighter IS better. I use my wife's 501w occasionaly, and its nice, but its always nicer to get back to the brightness of my 60.

Thoughts?

Sent via HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the specs of the H60 (other than no reflector) but my favorite Zebralight is the H51f. I have the H51 but prefer the H51f.

I think the Zebralight everyone would want would be a removable/replaceable lens and reflector so that one could either have frosted, clear, reflector, no reflector.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Off hand I don't recall the specs either. Compared to my wife's 501 ( its quite a bit brighter. Her high is about equal to my high/medium. That leaves me with high and turbo or whatever ZL calls it.

I just looked on their site and the only light they have with the lens like mine is the one my wife has. Hers is neutral tint like mine.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the H60 or any version of the H51, but my impression (based on specs) is that as far as output goes the H51f compares very favorably to the H60w except in runtime. I see a max of 157 lumens listed for the H60w

The H501w (which I use) is great for those who don't need as bright a light but like the longer run time. It fills a good niche for me with its negligible weight, providing just enough light to do the things I want with it. But once the H600 comes out, I'll be tempted to purchase it.

With the H600, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to see a pure flood option, too. I like your suggested "what everyone would want" where the user would have a variety of options, gcbryan...or perhaps more than one version available from ZebraLight depending on whether the purchaser wanted flood or spill+spot.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a H60 for long time ago and I love it, is very very bright and had a very nice flood beam, I have too ST6-360CW and a ST6-500CW, I like too, their are brighter but if I want a flood beam I have to replace the cristal, so, I think that the flood lights is the best option for any use, camping, running, bike and work, if you want a extra spot light carrying a hand light with 700 plus lumen is the best choice...

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
...if you want a extra spot light carrying a hand light with 700 plus lumen is the best choice...

Sometimes that approach is a very good one, but I think for times when you wish to keep your hands free an extra handheld light is not the best option. It depends very much of specific circumstances and needs.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Am I wrong for wanting a 500+ lumen pure flood head lamp with the same beam pattern as my H60w?

I personally think not.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I wrong for wanting a 500+ lumen pure flood head lamp with the same beam pattern as my H60w?

I personally think not.

+1

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Changchung
...if you want a extra spot light carrying a hand light with 700 plus lumen is the best choice...
Sometimes that approach is a very good one, but I think for times when you wish to keep your hands free an extra handheld light is not the best option. It depends very much of specific circumstances and needs.

That is right... when I go to walk to a montain near were I work I carry three lights, H60 in my head and two XM-L based hand lights in a bellyback, just 4 case

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally think not.

I don't think you're wrong in wanting to see a pure flood version. I'd love to see it myself. My guess is that the ZL folks experimented with several variations before settling on the spill+spot version. I'm not saying I'd buy a pure flood version without letting someone else test and evaluate its effectiveness, but I'd sure like to know how it would perform and would be very interested in purchasing one if it performed well. I'm also very interested in the spill+spot version that it looks like they'll be selling.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
You should know about the new SD series from Spark

_DSC0162-B.jpg

I'm waiting for it... the official annoucement is in Sep,10th.

Well, this has my interest indeed. I suppose I'll wait and see what is finally presented by both companies and go from there. It's becoming great night time hiking weather and is love to round up a new light for it.

If a new light with the same beam but brighter were to come along, I'd consider giving my 60w to my wife.