• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A salute to McGizmo!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT - I can't change my vote, but I'm up to 8 now....it was 5 when I started the poll. And I love 'em all!

Isn't this hobby interesting? I remember when I started acquiring 'quality' lights, I reached out to Fyrstormer to ask him if a McGizmo was 'worth it.' He very eloquently shared with me information and advice that are still relevant today. The basic message: Quality, Utility and Value.

Since then I have enjoyed experiencing THOUSANDS of dollars worth of quality, desirable lights. This is the McGizmo section of the forum, so I won't name the 'other' names, but suffice it to say that I have experienced virtually EVERY custom light and most mainstream manufacturers lights. At one time, the value of my collection was well over 5 digits..:eek: And many of these lights were awesome, state of the art treasures that deserve tributes all their own.

Then the 'sell off.' Much of the $$ went to help fund purchases of precious metals and other things to protect against economic problems, and at the same time I ventured out into more varied mainstream lights, legos, etc.

But all the while, I kept my Bead Blast Haiku XRE and my Haiku XPG. All other ti lights went away, but my quantity of lights remained fairly high. Acquired a few nice knives along the way, too.

But then the other day I felt that old call of the McGizmo and ordered up a fresh, new 6V Haiku XML from Don. Man, oh man. It all came back. The "bullet proof" quality. The amazing beam quality. The almost perfect levels. The timeless design and construction from beautiful titanium. And as cool as the PD switch is, the McClicky is just perfect for me. So I added a 6V Makai XML and a warm Haiku XPG, and to fund all this sold off TWENTY (yes, 20) 'other' lights - darn good lights, too, to help me justify dropping around $1400 in a few days...these to add to the 'original' Haikus I maintained throughout.

That 6V Makai XML must be voodoo magic. Most 'bright' LED lights with long throw are unpleasant up close, but not the Makai. Somehow Don has focused the beam such that there is a perfect balance of spill and throw, and even when shined right in front of me it isn't harsh. But it throws FOREVER!

The 6V Haiku XML is a 'wall of light'. My sphere measures it (like the Makai) at 371 lumen on high, but the beam 'looks' totally different. GREAT for near field illumination, yet it will throw for 50 feet. Really nice tint - no XML 'green' tint at all.

The 'old' classic - an original Haiku in bead blast. How does Don get the ringiness out of the XRE emitter? Really nice tint...and the bead blast is beautiful.

The Haiku XPG - I wrote a LONG review of my light (still own that same Haiku) back in January of 2010 and it still holds true (see here). Timeless goodness - punchy flood - and Don squeezes every photon out of the XPG emitter...mine measures consistently just under 200 lumen. It's been my control light for my integrating sphere since I built the sphere. It's a classic.

The 'warm' Haiku XPG - it has become one of my main EDC lights. After a brief infatuation with incandescent lights I really began to appreciate the warm tints more, but I prefer the tint of this light more than any incan I own, plus it has the beautiful beam of a Haiku XPG. I measure it at just under 150 lumen in my sphere, but it's such a useable beam and the 150 lumen provides PLENTY of light.

So why this post? I just had it on my mind and wanted to share with my brothers and sisters on CPF - quality just NEVER goes out of style, and Don just has a special magic when it comes to designing and building custom lights.

(I'll be doing some beam shots of my 5 McGizmos versus a few other lights Labor Day Weekend - I'll add a link to the post HERE after it is completed)

In a world filled with "me, too" products - when we seem to always look for the best deal, and manufacturers seek out cheap labor to try and satisfy our insatiable desires for MORE for LESS, isn't it refreshing that there are still craftsmen out there (like Don Mcleish) that shun shortcuts and continue to build products to meet their own discerning standards of quality and utility. Whether it's a Rick Hinderer knife, or a Rolex watch, or a McGizmo flashlight...and almost without exception, these quality products end up being a better 'value' than the 'bargain' products.

I said this in one of my original posts, but I'll share it again:

"I have discovered a remarkable pleasure and satisfaction in the 'KISS' philosophy of flashaholism. All the concerns about lumen ratings, blah blah, pale in comparison to the satisfaction of owning a simple, durable tool that just plain works - every time you need it.

Don's lights do that better - at least for me - than any of the others I've tried or use."

So I salute you, Mr. McGizmo! Thanks for continuing to provide us with "the good stuff!" :twothumbs

My 'meager' collection:
McGizmoAugust.jpg

(Karl, sorry, I'm hijacking your photo...hope you don't mind!)
Okay, folks - one more McGizmo on the way....

A%2B%2B%2B sale 027.JPG

:devil: :)

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Zis...zis ist terrible. Ze patient vas showing excellent progress, but now...now it seems he hass experienced a complete relapse. Vhy hass zis happened? Vill he never be cured?!?

:devil:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
No option for those of us who have never handled a McGizmo light but have always wanted to? :(

nbp

Flashaholic
Three for me and I intend to make that more when I can find some more money! :rock:

Great post run4jc. :thumbsup:

I intend to post my own long winded Haiku XP-G review to bore you all when I can finish it up. ;) Maybe I can work on that baby tomorrow.

Cheers for Don's lights!

Nick

scout24

Flashaholic
Very nice tribute, Dan! Timeless quality never goes out of style... I noticed no option for "not enough"... :nana:

fyrstormer

Banned
run4jc, I'd like to see a review of the Makai 6V XM-L if you haven't done one already. The Makai continues to be one of those lights I can't quite convince myself I'd actually use, but I also continue to be open to persuasion.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed no option for "not enough"... :nana:
That goes without saying...:devil:

run4jc, I'd like to see a review of the Makai 6V XM-L if you haven't done one already. The Makai continues to be one of those lights I can't quite convince myself I'd actually use, but I also continue to be open to persuasion.

fyrstormer - I plan to do a review from the beach house this weekend - it's quite dark down there and beamshots show up nicely. As a 'pre-review' - the Makai is an amazing light with a 3V XPG - and I never had a chance to use a 6V XPG - but IMHO, it comes into its own with the 6V XML engine! Flexible - I measure 371 lumen with a 2x pak running 2 RCRs - 264 with a 1x running 1 RCR. Works nicely with E series bodies, too.

Very nice tint - not cold white, just a nice off white without the 'greenish' tint many XML emitters have. Don did an amazing job of focusing the beam - it throws forever, but is easy on the eyes up close. I'll do my best to show this with the beam shots this weekend, and compare it to all the other McGizmos I own as well as some other mainstream lights. Hopefully I'll have the review posted by Sunday morning.

It's a nice chunk of ti, and I think one belongs in your collection!!:naughty:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, no "30 or more" column. If you own 30 or more you get a free upgrade from posting in someone else's thread to starting your own thread.

I'm one away from jumping to the next category, but I can't vote again...Coach, maybe you should do another poll! Here's the latest edition that's on the way to the run4jc collection: (thanks for letting me hijack the photo, Karl!)
A%2B%2B%2B%20sale%20027.JPG

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I'd posted it in this forum, and if this cross post is a violation please (mods) delete it. Since I'm not selling anything, hopefully it isn't a violation. I posted an extensive set of McGizmo light beam shots over here..including the Makai 6V, Haiku 6V and 3 others.:wave:

scout24

Flashaholic
I sold off a lot of lights in the last two weeks and was able to fund a 6v XM-L Makai w/ 2x123 body, and a warm Haiku XP-G 3v head to keep my spare Ti McClicky pak company. Into the "4-6" category... :) I agree on the awesome beamshots, Dan's efforts are always appreciated!

scout24

Flashaholic
I was sharing some work pictures with run4jc earlier today, and this is why I carry and use Titanium McGizmos... I've carried my Haiku XP-G almost daily since new, over a year and a half now. It was a leap of faith, carrying and using an expensive light in such a manner, but I figured if I'm going to own it, I'm going to use the heck out of it! It's been dropped a few times, knocked over while tailstanding on concrete more times than I could count, had all manner of automotive fluids on it, etc... I figured it was time for my new addition Warm Haiku to hit the ground running this week at work. :) The original XP-G looked like this more than a few times, and as seen in the third photo, is really no worse for wear. Covered with gear oil and brake dust, my default droplight... Five minutes with a rag and some Windex, it's ready to step out on the town... True working tools, or subtle bling in a suit pocket? Your choice, but more than capable of both... New Warm on right in third photo, after a bit of cleaning... :) Thanks, Dan, for linking the first two pics in Picasa for me!

PicasaUp.jpg

PicasaUp.jpg

P1010879.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
I wanted to do something special for my 2000th post, but I didn't have any good ideas lined up. So I figured this was as good a thread as any to post in at such a time. :) If I could vote again, I'd now be in the next category, as I am up to four.

Don, thanks again for making such sweet lights for us. They look amazing, but what's more is they are such delightful tools as well. A lot of thought goes into these lights as anyone who has used one can attest to, and it is a joy and privilege to carry them and use them each day, for both the rather mundane tasks of life as well as the critical. We certainly appreciate it. :thumbsup: