PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 50 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Default 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Part 2

After nearly 1500 replies to this thread, We'll close this one to create a new one.

#Important: The MBI Torpedo is still in the planning stage - currently verifying feasibility of all features and planned settings.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to everyone's great feedback,
    here is the concept/design of the new AAA flashlight Im planning to make.

it comes with 1 head & 2 bodies

1st body = AAA size
    2nd body = 10280 size

Power Supply: 1V~5V
    This will run on anything that fits
    1.5V AAA
    Li-Ion 10440, 10450
    Li-Ion 10280

Size:
    with AAA Body = 65mm Long, 14mm diameter
    with 10280 Body = 47.5mm Long, 14mm diameter

Target price for the first run is $65 or less.

Production Timing:
    expecting prototype end of November 2011
    1st production run about 1 month after that.

1st step now is to get the prototype made.
    Clip design is not yet finalized.

Also, the final length may increase (max of 10mm but hoping 5mm at most), depending on the final driver size.

As always, I welcome your feedback.
    Oh, and be gentle but honest, this is my first "production" model light.

tgwnn

#########
    Please click for the: Latest Specs/Summary

OR

Please visit 500-Lumen-AAA-Flashlight-(photos)-Work-In-Progress (Part-2) for more details
    #########
    Last edited by Norm; 05-25-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: added size, price, power, mailing list info, updated thread title, added timing info

What would the lumen rating be using Eneloops?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos)

If I remember correctly, this will be a li-ion only light. I think it looks amazing. My only comment is that tailstanding on a light this size seems like it might not be a great idea. Given the size, any time in anything but level 1 or 2 without a hand dissapating heat may be problematic.
    That said, as a pocket light fanatic, I will gladly volunteer to test, photo, and generally drool over this light at any time. Oh, and I'll buy one too!

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    If I remember correctly, this will be a li-ion only light. I think it looks amazing. My only comment is that tailstanding on a light this size seems like it might not be a great idea. Given the size, any time in anything but level 1 or 2 without a hand dissapating heat may be problematic.
    That said, as a pocket light fanatic, I will gladly volunteer to test, photo, and generally drool over this light at any time. Oh, and I'll buy one too!
    Hi Smokelaw1,
    Thanks for the kind words, the driver can now support standard AAA's (1.5v) as well.
    There is auto-temperature control so if you use turbo mode (500 lumens) it will auto switch down to the next lowest mode when it gets too hot.

@Gadgetman7
    Im planning for the lumen rating to be the same, regardless of battery type.

tgwnn

hmm, what is the sense of an AAA Li-ion only light? I mean ppl like AAA Batteries and Eneloops because they have tons of it and its available everywhere but AAA rechargable Li-Ion? It is a special product for a minority and it looks like the light will need more then one AAA so you can also take one wider Li-Ion rechargable?

Quote Originally Posted by Danielsan View Post
    hmm, what is the sense of an AAA Li-ion only light? I mean ppl like AAA Batteries and Eneloops because they have tons of it and its available everywhere but AAA rechargable Li-Ion? It is a special product for a minority and it looks like the light will need more then one AAA so you can also take one wider Li-Ion rechargable?
    Thanks for the feedback.

Just updated the first post with info about power supply.
    This will run on standard AAA's (1.5V) as well as Li-Ion's.

tgwnn

I'm in for one! By Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post
    I'm in for one! By Christmas?
    Thanks Should be in time for Xmas!

tgwnn

I don't know how much this will set me back...but I want one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jseklund View Post
    I don't know how much this will set me back...but I want one!!!
    Same here...

Stainless or Titanium offerings?

EDIT: Wait wait wait... you mean this light is going to measure 65mm (6.5cm, or about 2.5") on the diameter? That's too fat for my liking.
    Last edited by pjandyho; 08-30-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Flashaholic*

The torpedo tail looks cool, but i suspect it won't tailstand well under keycain/lanyard duty when a split ring is in the center knob?
    If you drill a hole in one of the torpedo fins, it can still tailstand with split ring installed. Then we have 2 attacthments to choose from. One hangs slightly crocked, but will be able to tailstand with keys/lanyard attatched. And the other hangs straight from the center knob, (but is harder to tailstand without using mcgyver tecnology). Everyone will be happy

Cool that someone finally dares to make a little beast like this. Love the tiny flamethrowers
    Any chance of some neutral xm-l's for the tint snobs here ??

@jseklund, @JS_280
    Thank you!!

@pjandyho
    First version will be Aluminium TypeIII/HA.
    After that, if there is enough demand for SS,Ti versions
    I'd be more than happy to offer those as well.

tgwnn

Looks awesome! How is the UI worked? Rapid on/off twists or a progressive twisty? Or a reverse progressive twisty actually I guess, haha.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho

EDIT: Wait wait wait... you mean this light is going to measure 65mm (6.5cm, or about 2.5") on the diameter? That's too fat for my liking.
    I think that's the length. Otherwise you're approaching SF turbohead size.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    I am sure that is the LENGTH, even though the drawing makes it appear to be a diameter measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by jorn View Post
    The torpedo tail looks cool, but i suspect it won't tailstand well under keycain/lanyard duty when a split ring is in the center knob?
    If you drill a hole in one of the torpedo fins, it can still tailstand with split ring installed. Then we have 2 attacthments to choose from. One hangs slightly crocked, but will be able to tailstand with keys/lanyard attatched. And the other hangs straight from the center knob, (but is harder to tailstand without using mcgyver tecnology). Everyone will be happy

Thanks for the feedback.
    The hole is designed at an angle so that a split ring should be able to be positioned between the fins. Adding a hole in the fin is a good work around too.
    If you use a strap (the kind used for attaching trinkets to mobile phones) or even a metal type, it will sit just fine, and not get in the way when tail standing.

Cool that someone finally dares to make a little beast like this. Love the tiny flamethrowers
    It took a lot of wrestling
    and the auto-thermal step-down should make it reasonably safe for non-flashaholics too.

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post

It states 14mm X 65 mm - so unless it's 14 mm LONG, I am guessing the 65 pertains to the width.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45_1911 View Post
    I am sure that is the LENGTH, even though the drawing makes it appear to be a diameter measurement.
    Yes, that is the length,
    otherwise it would be a triple D Cell keychain light

Quote Originally Posted by jseklund View Post
    It states 14mm X 65 mm - so unless it's 14 mm LONG, I am guessing the 65 pertains to the width.
    its about time somebody came out with a hockey-puck shaped light!

any idea on what the price point would be?
    Last edited by gunnerdog; 08-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jorn View Post
    Not sure just yet, but I can check.
    Do you know the exact bin number?

tgwnn

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Hi Smokelaw1,
    Thanks for the kind words, the driver can now support standard AAA's (1.5v) as well.
    There is auto-temperature control so if you use turbo mode (500 lumens) it will auto switch down to the next lowest mode when it gets too hot.
    I sincerely apologize for putting old info out there. Will this thing reach full power on alks? I can't imagine 500 lumen on a standard AAA....but if you can do it...even for 30 seconds, well, I'll take 2!

Crackup Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdog View Post
    its about time somebody came out with a hockey-puck shaped light!
    LOL

500 lumens from AAA 1.5V ? ...This means driving the LED at 1.5A (and we are talking about "emitter lumens"). There is no step-up driver, that could deliver this kind of current from a AAA 1.5V battery, nor any chance to develop/produce it, taking into accout available components and assumed size.
    The only way to achieve your lumens (for a short time), is direct drive from IMR 10440 cell.

Anyway... best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    I sincerely apologize for putting old info out there. Will this thing reach full power on alks? I can't imagine 500 lumen on a standard AAA....but if you can do it...even for 30 seconds, well, I'll take 2!
    No problem's at all! I should have made it clear but just wanted to put something up sooner rather than later.
    Yes, it should reach full power on alks (even though I expect the max burst will be 30 seconds) but I'll be able to confirm in the coming days as we work on the driver,
    and I we'll need to test how well the solid head can hold back the heat before we need to reduce the power consumption.

Also, as we are really sucking a lot of juice from 1 cell (over max discharge for standard cells but heavy duties & IMR's would be ok), I dont think we can responsibly let it run on turbo beyond 30 sec's.
    It may end up somewhere between 15-30 depending on final testing.

tgwnn

didn't look at your details too closely, but may I suggest keeping some of the specifics (especially if it's at all original) close to your vest.
    Or you may see copies on "extreme" sites before you even release it
    TK40 Round-Up Thread - very image intensive!

Quote Originally Posted by coolperl View Post
    500 lumens from AAA 1.5V ? ...This means driving the LED at 1.5A (and we are talking about "emitter lumens"). There is no step-up driver, that could deliver this kind of current from a AAA 1.5V battery, nor any chance to develop/produce it, taking into accout available components and assumed size.
    The only way to achieve your lumens (for a short time), is direct drive from IMR 10440 cell.

Anyway... best of luck
    Thanks. Im glad someone else understands how difficult it is to try and accomplish.
    The biggest challenges so far have been exactly the things you mentioned: the driver, the size & dealing with 1.5V.
    I can't say with certainty yet what the final power output will be from an alkaline cell,
    but we are creating a custom PCB/Driver combo.
    Stay tuned!

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by flasherByNight View Post
    didn't look at your details too closely, but may I suggest keeping some of the specifics (especially if it's at all original) close to your vest.
    Or you may see copies on "extreme" sites before you even release it
    Thanks for the words of wisdom!
    Much appreciated.

It is all original.
    Who-ever wants to copy....
    Go for it! Flatter me to the "extreme"

If you think this is even modestly cool,
    you aint seen nothin' yet

tgwnn

Undoubtedly the first AAA to use XM-L, it's ambitious but very nice. LED to be mounted on a solid head helps thermal dissipation somewhat, but the question is how long will it maintain 500lms before it auto steps down. I wouldn't mind if it's just a little thicker to help with the heat if it makes any difference at all. Tightened for off is a fantastic feature, IMO, something which more twisties should do. A trivial suggestion for the clip if you would consider, oxidize or coat it in black. I can't stand those shiny steel or chromed ones on a nice, black HA light anymore, but others may differ. And LOP, OP or SMO for reflector?

Looking forward to its completion!

Flashaholic*

Any crazy single AA light in your cooking pot?