PK Design Lab
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2528293031323334353637383940414245 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1495

Thread: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Default Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

If the tint is green then I would be out too.... Neutral is very important ...no green.

Pure white without green would be fine....
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67 View Post
    If the tint is green then I would be out too.... Neutral is very important ...no green.

Pure white without green would be fine....
    Hi Stoli,

Thanks.

Just to clarify for everyone's benefit...

Torpedo XML tint will not be green!

I'm fairly flexible with led tint when it comes to preference,
    but definitely no greens!

Ideally a nice neutral is what Im looking for as the standard.
    Then maybe....
    some warms & some whites if I can make up the quantity.

All depending on bin availability but I will not be accepting anything greenish as our default.

tgwnn

Flashaholic

Nice update once again

I really hope is this light that will make me change my EDC with nearly 4 years old.
    About the "twin size" body , Im not much into it ... only if the smaller cells are able to have a lot of run time in low modes

Keep us posted!
    Artur

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Nice update once again

I really hope is this light that will make me change my EDC with nearly 4 years old.
    About the "twin size" body , Im not much into it ... only if the smaller cells are able to have a lot of run time in low modes

Keep us posted!
    Thanks Art,

some quick conservative estimates on run time for li-ion 10280 (capacity 180mAh)

mode 1 [2mAh, 1lm] = 50hrs
    mode 2 [25mAh, 10lm] = 5hrs
    mode 3 [250mAh, 100lm] = 30min
    mode 4 [500mAh, 200lm] = 15min

This is based on a standard li-ion, not an IMR.

tgwnn

Flashaholic

This light is looking better every time i see an update

Just a quick question, you still plan on it being able to use standard alkaline and eneloops right?

I would have purchased one of Peaks Vesuvias if it didnt require a good quality 10440 or IMR. This and the peak would have made a great EDC combo.

I just dont trust li-ions enough to pocket carry one.

Thank god the tint is being looked at....

I have half a dozen 4sevens lights that I refuse to use as the tint is so bad .... Actually I have given half of them away!
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Quote Originally Posted by GrimCreaper View Post
    This light is looking better every time i see an update

Just a quick question, you still plan on it being able to use standard alkaline and eneloops right?

I would have purchased one of Peaks Vesuvias if it didnt require a good quality 10440 or IMR. This and the peak would have made a great EDC combo.

I just dont trust li-ions enough to pocket carry one.
    Standard AAA's & eneloops (&NiMh) Absolutely!!
    I think a lithium primary AAA will be much better than an alkaline but both are planned to be supported.

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67 View Post
    Thank god the tint is being looked at....

I have half a dozen 4sevens lights that I refuse to use as the tint is so bad .... Actually I have given half of them away!
    Thanks to god and everyone in the thread who's mentioned just how important a factor tint is

tgwnn

Nice low,low- check.
    High output high- check
    Tailstands- check
    Deep carry clip- check
    AAA/10440 fueled- check
    Affordable-check.
    Neutral tint- check!!!
    Sounds like my dream EDC, you can count me in on a minimum of one, probably more like three.

Flashaholic

SixM: For me its only missing a tritium on the back like I have on my current EDC... so Im also like you , its a dream EDC
    Artur

just saw your latest progress update. like he idea of a retractable/adjustable body to take in different batteries. how will this affect water-proofing?

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by ruriimasu View Post
    just saw your latest progress update. like he idea of a retractable/adjustable body to take in different batteries. how will this affect water-proofing?
    A few posts ago TGWNN said it will be quite watertight in the shortened position and water-resistant in the lengthened position with more details to follow (I imagine after actual testing with a prototype).

Flashaholic*

One pic is a thousand of words
    Lets summon the pics

Quote Originally Posted by SixM View Post
    Nice low,low- check.
    High output high- check
    Tailstands- check
    Deep carry clip- check
    AAA/10440 fueled- check
    Affordable-check.
    Neutral tint- check!!!
    Sounds like my dream EDC, you can count me in on a minimum of one, probably more like three.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    SixM: For me its only missing a tritium on the back like I have on my current EDC... so Im also like you , its a dream EDC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruriimasu View Post
    Should be just fine.
    I got some detailed schematics and looks like there should be no difference to the standard body, just need to confirm the o-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sno4Life View Post
    A few posts ago TGWNN said it will be quite watertight in the shortened position and water-resistant in the lengthened position with more details to follow (I imagine after actual testing with a prototype).
    Thanks for that Sno4Life.

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by jh333233 View Post
    One pic is a thousand of words
    Lets summon the pics

Here's an updated version of the adjustable body,
    shortened (top) and extended (bottom).

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Here's an updated version of the adjustable body,
    shortened (top) and extended (bottom).

tgwnn
    I am really liking this. Count me in.
    The expandable body is simple, yet genius!
    Ask me about custom kydex.

Flashaholic*

Truly innovative, not just another redux torch...added to my incredibly short and nit picky "must have" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
    I am really liking this. Count me in.
    The expandable body is simple, yet genius!
    Thanks Death's Head,
    you are officially counted

Quote Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
    Truly innovative, not just another redux torch...added to my incredibly short and nit picky "must have" list.
    nightshade,
    Thanks for the kind words.

I humbly accept them on behalf of everyone in the thread who have helped shape the Torpedo and get us this far.

I'm thrilled that we made it to your "must have" list.

tgwnn

The selector ring is made by the 3 grip bands between the red circle and the front of the flashlight, right?
    LiteFlux LF2XT Q4 NAT [faulty...]; Preon Stealth Black

Quote Originally Posted by HighLumens View Post
    The selector ring is made by the 3 grip bands between the red circle and the front of the flashlight, right?
    Yes, spot on.

This should make it easier to see...

tgwnn

The light seems to be getting more and more complicated. It started as a AAA monster light now I'm reading it has extending body, electronic lockout and mode changer, red bits and now I'm confused.
    Still as interested as before though.

Are you going to do a Torpedo and Ti Core bundle? I know they are separate threads but I assume the same seller and manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid87 View Post
    The light seems to be getting more and more complicated. It started as a AAA monster light now I'm reading it has extending body, electronic lockout and mode changer, red bits and now I'm confused.
    Still as interested as before though.

Are you going to do a Torpedo and Ti Core bundle? I know they are separate threads but I assume the same seller and manufacturer.
    Hi Acid,

au contraire,
    if I may dare...

I believe it is simpler, though we have discussed so many, many things here, its easy to get confused (sorry).

turn clockwise for light, keep turning for more
    turn anti-clockwise for less light, keep turning for "Off", keep turning and you get to ELO (the equivalent of keypad lock on a cellphone) reducing power and preventing accidental on.

so its just turn to the right or turn to the left.
    no need to un-shcrew and shcrew and un-shcrew
    less wear, better water resistance.

The red bits....
    one in the middle, and one in the top (though you can choose SS [silver color] in the top if you prefer)

The bodies....
    1x AAA body as originally planned
    1x 10250/80 body as originally planned
    (just so happens that the short body can be extended to handle AAA's too, but you'd never know it unless you were told)

A bundle???
    same seller/maker... well sure, that would be me
    Possible I guess (and doesn't require any R&D)

Not sure about timing though but if you would like both Core Ti & Torpedo,
    and prefer to buy them together, sure, why not

Maybe a special one time CPF contributors bundle,
    though to be honest, I'm trying very hard to keep the prices very reasonable to begin with,
    and hopefully I can get to break even so I can continue to work on more, new & exciting lights.

Once both Core Ti & Torpedo are ready, I could think about a bundle then, is it ok?

tgwnn

p.s. If I have it my way, there may be just one more little surprise, though it will not change any feature or anything thats been discussed in the thread so far.

A bundle???

though to be honest, I'm trying very hard to keep the prices very reasonable to begin with,
    and hopefully I can get to break even so I can continue to work on more, new & exciting lights.

Once both Core Ti & Torpedo are ready, I could think about a bundle then, is it ok?

tgwnn
    My philosophy is to frequent small businesses when I can get what I'm looking for at a reasonable price - not necessairly the lowest price. And when the small business tries to provide a discount or buy 9 and the 10th is free, I don't take them up on it. Many small businesses are operating on limited profit margins and my selfishness wants these small businesses to be around so I can enjoy their products. If the margin is too thin, they may go bust. I usually use the tip jar, too.

Feeling the same way here. Your price points mentioned are very reasonable as-is. If the margins are too thin or there isn't a margin, then what's the incentive for you do develop more fun and interesting gismos that I can enjoy? (my selfishness emerging again) Maybe the "bundle" price is to put both in one package so shipping is "50% off".

Rather than a price break for CPF, as others have mentioned, offer a unique feature only available here.
    Last edited by BVH; 10-30-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name

Hi Acid,

au contraire,
    if I may dare...

I believe it is simpler, though we have discussed so many, many things here, its easy to get confused (sorry).

turn clockwise for light, keep turning for more
    turn anti-clockwise for less light, keep turning for "Off", keep turning and you get to ELO (the equivalent of keypad lock on a cellphone) reducing power and preventing accidental on.

so its just turn to the right or turn to the left.
    no need to un-shcrew and shcrew and un-shcrew
    less wear, better water resistance.

The red bits....
    one in the middle, and one in the top (though you can choose SS [silver color] in the top if you prefer)

The bodies....
    1x AAA body as originally planned
    1x 10250/80 body as originally planned
    (just so happens that the short body can be extended to handle AAA's too, but you'd never know it unless you were told)

A bundle???

tgwnn

p.s. If I have it my way, there may be just one more little surprise, though it will not change any feature or anything thats been discussed in the thread so far.
    Thanks Guy.
    I left the thread two days and came back to loads of posts. I seem to have gotten lost in the 70 pages somewhere.
    I think you have misread my bundle question though as BVH has mentioned I'm thinking more along the lines of shipping internationally.
    I think your prices are reasonable hence the reason I said I wanted one back on page 1 or 2. I would much rather pay a bit extra and have you break even than get a discount and you lose money never to make another light.

I'm definitely interested in both lights.
    What are the timescales for release?

Quote Originally Posted by BVH
    Maybe the "bundle" price is to put both in one package so shipping is "50% off".
    Rather than a price break for CPF, as others have mentioned, offer a unique feature only available here.
    This is exactly what I meant. Not a bundle for discount more for shipping costs. I also like the idea of a CPF unique feature maybe instead of an SOS blinks mode have CPF.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to make that image!

Actually my plan is exactly as above
    I was hoping to show a photo of tailstanding with the split ring in the update but couldn't find one the right size within hands reach, but will do so and post a photo. Providing one this size with the Torpedo will be no problem, happy to do that.

I'm an international man of mystery
    citizen of the earth
    currently in Japan

tgwnn
    Guy,
    Tailstanding would be much easier if one or two of the fins were to also have holes for optionally placing the splitring. The current design may require longer fins to tailstand with splitring attached to a keyring. Unless of course the splitring is shaped like a chainlink to extend out past the body to allow for a keyring. Perhaps a very short thin lanyard with a keyring hole attachment on the end?
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    My philosophy is to frequent small businesses when I can get what I'm looking for at a reasonable price - not necessairly the lowest price. And when the small business tries to provide a discount or buy 9 and the 10th is free, I don't take them up on it. Many small businesses are operating on limited profit margins and my selfishness wants these small businesses to be around so I can enjoy their products. If the margin is too thin, they may go bust. I usually use the tip jar, too.

Feeling the same way here. Your price points mentioned are very reasonable as-is. If the margins are too thin or there isn't a margin, then what's the incentive for you do develop more fun and interesting gismos that I can enjoy? (my selfishness emerging again) Maybe the "bundle" price is to put both in one package so shipping is "50% off".

Thanks BVH, appreciate the support and your "humble" selfishness which is actually very kind rather than selfish.

Thanks Guy.
    I left the thread two days and came back to loads of posts. I seem to have gotten lost in the 70 pages somewhere.
    I think you have misread my bundle question though as BVH has mentioned I'm thinking more along the lines of shipping internationally.
    I think your prices are reasonable hence the reason I said I wanted one back on page 1 or 2. I would much rather pay a bit extra and have you break even than get a discount and you lose money never to make another light.

I'm definitely interested in both lights.
    What are the timescales for release?

This is exactly what I meant. Not a bundle for discount more for shipping costs. I also like the idea of a CPF unique feature maybe instead of an SOS blinks mode have CPF.
    Pleasure of course.
    All Ok, understand your point clearly now

CPF blinks....(very cool)
    the rescue guys would either be confused or have a big smile on their faces (if they were cpf'ers too).

Efficient shipping, of course, makes absolute sense.

Timing:
    Torpedo > Dec/Jan
    Core Ti > maybe late Nov/Dec (depends on how much tweaking happens in the coming days)

tgwnn

This thread never gets boring... I have been surprised by every feature added, which makes me want the light even more... I thought the expandable body is as best as it could get, apparently not!!

Waiting for the next surprise

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name

Timing:
    Torpedo > Dec/Jan
    Core Ti > maybe late Nov/Dec (depends on how much tweaking happens in the coming days)

tgwnn
    Timing sounds good. I don't mind waiting a month or so until they are both finished.

Quote Originally Posted by aljebreensh View Post
    This thread never gets boring... I have been surprised by every feature added, which makes me want the light even more... I thought the expandable body is as best as it could get, apparently not!!

Waiting for the next surprise
    Glad you are enjoying the process.

The final one...
    well it is not something that changes the body or function in any way, but something I'm sure you will appreciate.
    Will be keeping it under wraps till we are ready to ship.

Timing sounds good. I don't mind waiting a month or so until they are both finished.
    Thanks Acid.
    I'll update you on the schedule as we get closer.

tgwnn

OO yes! I want the red ring and bezel!

Thanks Mac,

Still planning on including the AAA (standard) body for the purists, and the adjustable body for those who like flexibility.
    Im waiting on samples for 10250/10280 to test but with the current driver, I think the standard 10280's will be safe (though they won't achieve 500 lumens).

It should be solid enough, though for long term AAA use, the solid body will be more solid.
    The tubular structure, double wall & additional strength provided by the battery inside makes it quite strong.

CPF blinks....(very cool)
    the rescue guys would either be confused or have a big smile on their faces (if they were cpf'ers too).
    I would like a secondary MYOB blinky to further confuse them!

Timing:
    Torpedo > Dec/Jan

tgwnn
    Let us know if it really makes a difference in shipping costs... it might make some sense to get all at once or just give me a reason to give my wallet a few weeks to recuperate from Christmas shopping.

I'm very pleased with where this is going (somewhere in my pocket eventually...)
    Cataract,

Shiny things specialist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataract View Post
    OO yes! I want the red ring and bezel!

I would like a secondary MYOB blinky to further confuse them!

Let us know if it really makes a difference in shipping costs... it might make some sense to get all at once or just give me a reason to give my wallet a few weeks to recuperate from Christmas shopping.

I'm very pleased with where this is going (somewhere in my pocket eventually...)
    Eventually, it will get to your pocket

I'll check on shipping, though it will depend on the final weight, size, packaging etc. which is still not certain...

tgwnn

Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2528293031323334353637383940414245 ... LastLast