Trying to find an unusual replacement bulb

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine has a Black & Decker light that uses a bulb marked "XPR 24VO .45 AMP JAPAN." It's a PR base, 24 volt bulb (as you can guess from the marking).

He has not been able to find a replacement and both the manual and the local B&D store gave him a parts number that turned out to be an 18 volt lamp. The original bulb is a Krypton, but a Xenon or an LED would be an obvious choice if it were up to me.

I've had no luck finding one either and would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. This forum has members that offer useful suggestions, knowledgeable advice, and lightning fast responses. It's a great place to hang out.

I found that one just after I posted and will forward that to him, but I am not sure that is exactly what he needs so other suggestions are still welcome.

I'll post if he finds one that will work.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked with him and he's concerned that the .6 amp bulb will create more heat than the .45 amp that's called for in the light (and that's mentioned in the disclaimer on the page for the site). Are there any other options?

xul

Enlightened
You can use a bulb with less power with a series resistor, but calculating the resistor value is a bit tricky since the current in an incand. bulb is proportional to some exponent of the voltage.

The manuf. wanted $32 for a bulb for my shortwave radio but the receptionist unwittingly gave me the bulb specs so I got a close-enough replacement for $0.32.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Ebay auction 160558582074 is for a 24v bulb with xpr lettering shown in the picture. Send seller a message to see if that is what you need.

I would have no problem trying the .6 bulb in place of the .45 bulb. You might also ask the moderator to move this over to the incan forum as there are some incan junkies that should be able to help you.

What B&D light ?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what exact light it's for but I'll check.

Thanks very much for the Ebay auction reference.

As for moving the thread, if it were my choice I'd go for a suitable LED replacement (and be done with replacements for a very long time) so I'd leave the thread here but if it gets moved that's OK, too. Not a biggee.

Again, thanks for the continuing efforts. I might be making another flashaholic with all of this help and info getting back to him (he's already asking about options for upgrading/replacing his duty light). :naughty:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The model number for the Black & Decker light is BDL24. He says that finding the part number for the bulb (90511939) was no problem but that a few places he checked had an 18 volt bulb under that number, so that might well be a dead end. A few places I have checked have the bulb back ordered. And I'll bet that the hardest part about finding one is going to be finding one that's cheap enough for him. Another reason why if it were up to me I'd find an LED.

Thanks again. My friend is very appreciative of all the efforts but I'm only going to go after this a little bit more and then call it quits.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
If you want an LED replacement, you need to know what 'lumen output' flux that you're looking for.

There are plenty of PR based drop ins. But, you'll probably have to wire in some method of resistance or current control in the flashlight.

Note that various 12v, 14.4v, 18v, 24v rechargeable tool flashlights don't always use the correct voltage bulb. I've seen 12v bulbs in 18v/24v flashlights.

3w is pushing the limit for an LED in the PR bulb size. If you use an LED, you'll have to research driver or resistor to 'save it' from the 24v!
A couple to consider:
PR2-3WHP-9V
TLE-6EX

Also checkout the seller sinounionechnologyld on ebay. example ebay auction 120709532808 or 110730536210
Some here have used the Fusion drop-ins in maglites and other tool flashlights.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks & I already knew that. Trying to find an LED one with a mid range output (3 watts is probably more that the reflector/lens in most lights of that style would make usable anyway) so the addition of a resistor isn't too much of a hassle to find especially if it doesn't round up to a readily available current level. Maybe even one where none is needed since I doubt the light will get used for long spans of time. Heat build up (or loss of magic smoke) should be little or no problem if that's the case.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with LED bulbs is that they are polarity sensitive. With a straight line torch the + on the battery almost always matches up with the base of the bulb. With other kinds of lights it is hit or miss. Can your friend find out if the polarity of his B&D light is suitable for an LED bulb. (base contact goes to the + of the battery, side contact goes to - of the battery.)

superbrightleds.com has a PR2-1WHP-30V LED bulb that works from 7 to 30 volts.
Right polarity friend happy.
Reverse polarity :poof: :eek: :sick2: :sigh:

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding the polarity on a light or device is pretty easy to do with a DVM. As long as the packaging or the website has the polarity listed for the bulb, no problem on that side of things either.

Been there/done that for some other projects but just not sure how much effort he wants to put into it. If it was my light, that would be something different but I don't want to go playing around with another persons toys.

Thanks again.

*** Just looked at the pdf datasheet for the PR2-1WHP-30V and it in fact has polarity protection. Current draw is 350mA and 110 degree angle for the LED. I'll pass this along to him. Should solve the problem.

Yet another case where a little community action on CPF has solved a problem (and hopefully created another flashaholic).

Thanks again to one and all.

Last edited:

Robie

Newly Enlightened
What bulb did he end up using? I have same light and need a bulb. Black and Decker is backordered with no time frame for delivery. Thanks.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
He said he had found one but never said which one he got. I figure it was the PR2-1 WHP-30V which could handle from 7-30 volts but I don't know for sure.

I'm still wondering why B&D made it so hard to find a suitable replacement through their network of dealers/parts suppliers. They're not as good as they used to be years ago but they still tend to be better than that.

Again, there are a lot of folks on this forum who tend to be among the most helpful I've found on the entire web. This forum reminds me almost every day about how good it can be.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
around here, the trucks use 24 V system, dunno if that is common world-wide.

I would just walk into some gas station and check at the truck bulbs presentation ...