Headlamp for night field work

moon1234

Newly Enlightened
Looking for some suggestions.

My sons and I run a small market farm. We routinely work pulling produce out of the field after dark. This time of year it is melons (Watermelon, Honeydew, etc.) and in the next few weeks it will be squash and pumpkins.

We are using LED EDC lights taped to our hats for now (Fenix LD01 and LD15). This is not ideal and many times the lights fall off at the worst time. I am looking to buy a few headlamps for me and the boys.

I am really hung up on whether to get the H51fc or the H51c from Zebra. The flood would be really nice so I am not getting blinded when I am picking, but the throw works well for seeing the path when carring melons out. I am wondering if the flood is still bright enough to see the path when walking out or would I be better with the thrower?

I was also thinking that if I got the SC51c then I could make it do double duty as a headlamp and a flashlight when needed. Could I combine the SC51c and the H51fc on a single headlamp to have the best of both worlds when I am working alone?

Thanks for the input. It is a lot of money for me and I want to make the right choice.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
sept 2009 join date, sept 2011 first post! awesome.

just a thought, but have you considered the Spark ST5-190NW? since it comes with both a clear lens and a frosted lens, it might be a more versatile choice for you.

moon1234

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion. When I harvest melons I rely on their color (For watermelon they need to have a nice yellow spot where they were sitting on the ground) for honeydew they start to turn a dark cream color and get ribbing, for muskmelon they turn a nice tan color and the stem end easily seperates or slips from the melon.

Since much is based on the color of the melon I wanted the the High CRI Zebra light. I just did not know if the flood would be too weak to use as a trail lamp as well.

I guess I should just order the flood and start there. If that does not work, then I guess I need the thrower.

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi moon1234 - your lighting system sounds great for your needs. Maybe a simple suggestion for a more secure mounting: Punch holes in the hat and use wire and/or plastic cable ties to hold the flashlight on. Plus maybe a few rubber bands tightly wrapped around the flashlight that would keep it from sliding down and out of the this new mounting system but would allow removal to change batteries or for use without the hat.
1z6tl6u.jpg

robostudent5000

Enlightened
... I just did not know if the flood would be too weak to use as a trail lamp as well.

i don't own a Zebra myself but i know that several members hike using a H51F and actually prefer its beam to the H51 for that use. if you want to see for yourself, i hear the effect is not that far off from taping a few layers of scotch tape over a regular flashlight.

moon1234

Newly Enlightened
Hey, cool idea with the rubber bands and the piece of card stock. I use straw hats so I think I could just knot a rubber band or two under the brim.

I just bought the H51Fc too. I needed another light. I will let you know how it works for me when I get it.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I have been using the H51Fc for a little while now and I don't think you will be disapointed. It's a great light and the color of everything you see is its real color. as for trail use I like it much better than the spot of a thrower for walking, following the spot with my eyes as I walk can get annoying. check out Bolsters great beam shot thread. thats what convinced me to get my light.