Alternative to Maglite 2D

union-j

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I've scouted about the forum trying to find a solution to my problem but haven't been able to find any real definitive answer so thought that I would post in the hope that someone can help me out...

At work I currently carry two torches on my duty belt; a Maglite 2D (work issue) and a Surefire 6P LED (bought personally as a back-up). The problem is I'm constantly using the 6P as my primary as the light put out by the Mag is pitiful. I've looked at upgrading the Mag with some sort of drop-in but from what I've read here this isn't the way to go for me as battery life is greatly reduced by these drop-in lumen-monsters (plus I've never modified a torch before and am a bit daunted by the talk of extra cells and rubber hose!).

So my question is...is there an 'off-the-shelf' alternative to the Maglite 2D, i.e. something of a similar size and durable build quality that can be worn on a duty belt, but that will actually be capable of putting out more light than my 6P? (Without spending £500 on a Surefire M3LT, something that incidentally I would love to do if it wasn't for the look of pure rage in my other half's eyes when I suggested this 5 minutes ago!).

Hopefully someone here can give me some advice, many thanks!

J.

Waspy

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK50

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=84

fenix-tk50.jpg

Last edited:

union-j

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for the replies fellas, this has certainly set me off down the right path. I may very well go for one of the Fenix line. Time to do a bit more research and dust off the old credit card!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite LED 2D - Rebel or Cree version, not the 3 watt version.
It is just under the 6P LED in lumens, but looks almost the same as your issued light so you do not stand out. Takes the issue batteries too.

Maglight 2D (from brightguy website)
19 lumens
10 hours

Surefire 6P LED (from surefire website)
120 lumens
2 hours

Maglight LED 2D (from Maglite website)
114 lumens
9 hours 15 minutes

-----

And get the Terralux TLE-6EXB LED upgrade for your issue Mag. You probably get only ~60 lumens but will maintain the lumens through the life of the battery. The incan Mag will drop to half power in the 1st of its 10 hour runtime.

union-j

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I really liked the look of the Fenix range (something that had somehow passed me by) so I've just gone and ordered a Fenix TK60! Without the extension tube it will only be one D cell longer than my Mag so it shouldn't hamper my movement that much when on my duty belt. The head is only a couple of mm wider than the Mag as well so it should fit my current holster.

Is it normal though to feel like a 10 year old at Christmas time whilst I'm waiting for a flashlight to arrive? This is only my third purchase (along with the Surefire 6P LED and an E1 Backup) but I feel as though I've been well and truly bitten by the bug! If anyone is interested I'll post to let you know what I think of it once I've given it a good breaking-in.

Thanks again,

J.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys. I really liked the look of the Fenix range (something that had somehow passed me by) so I've just gone and ordered a Fenix TK60! Without the extension tube it will only be one D cell longer than my Mag so it shouldn't hamper my movement that much when on my duty belt. The head is only a couple of mm wider than the Mag as well so it should fit my current holster.

Is it normal though to feel like a 10 year old at Christmas time whilst I'm waiting for a flashlight to arrive? This is only my third purchase (along with the Surefire 6P LED and an E1 Backup) but I feel as though I've been well and truly bitten by the bug! If anyone is interested I'll post to let you know what I think of it once I've given it a good breaking-in.

Thanks again,

J.

No, that's a pretty normal feeling when you get your first 'big' light. Pretty typical around here too. ;)

Enjoy your new light. The TK-50 is more like the Mag 2D at 255 lumens and the same size, but the TK-60 puts out more for longer (and at low goes for 480 hours). You shouldn't regret it.

Latest posts