Fluorescent light fixture problem

muggu123

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a flourescent light fixture that is giving me some trouble. I have seen the following

- if turned on and left for a while ( a few minutes, maybe more) the light comes on.
- if the light is on and it is switched off and then back on, it comes on immediately.
- checking the fixture, I cannot see anything that looks like a Starter so I'm assuming that it is a non-Starter fixture
- the bulbs are old but since the light odes come on I'm assuming that the delay on turning on is not due to the bulbs. Is this correct?

From what I've researched, everything tells me that it is the Ballast. My fixture has 4 tubes and two Ballasts. Before I go to buy new Ballasts I'd like to make sure that that indeed is the problem.

From what I've described, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Same problem here recently. Replaced the bulbs and ballasts and all was well. Saved the old parts for future issues. I'd wager the ballasts!

ferratilis

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I would say most likely it's the ballast. Ballasts are built with different specs and starting temperature ratings. A ballast that is designed for office buildings and starts at 50F, will flicker and stay dim for a while until it warms up, when used in a cold garage or other building.
If you get new ballasts I recommend the newer electronic ones instead of the older magnetic ones. They are much more efficient. Also make sure that the ballasts can handle the wattage of the bulbs.

Random Guy

Enlightened
If this fixture is rapid start, it is probably the lamps. I'd go ahead and replace the lamps, they aren't that expensive and are much easier to replace than the ballasts. Can you look at the lamps and see what kind they are? It should be written at one end. You'll see something like F40T12/CW or F32T8/741. Post back with that and we can give some more recommendations.