DX Cree XML Module

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know how to get rid of the 5-mode operation? I just want 1 mode (high).
Thanks

jspeybro

Enlightened
is it this driver that you are talking about? http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6-18v-3000ma-3-mode-circuit-board-for-xm-lt60-emitters-57779

if so, there is some info on modding it to single mode: http://club.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/threadid.890954

if it doesn't have a seperate board for the modes, perhaps you can just connect the LED- to the sense resistor. This worked for me on the 18W driver for MC-E LEDs (or multiple leds in series) from DX. There's a thread about that somewhere on the electronics subforum.

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
@350xfire cut the trace to pin 1 on the 12f629 pic uprocessor. Jumper the cut trace to the pin used for output pwm. This will cause it to be on 100% of the time. Experiment to find the correct pin... Difficult to see without a picture.

jspeybro

Enlightened
there are some user-submitted pictures for the driver. It's using a PIC12F629 (chip with 8 pins) which is a microcontroller that will be doing the PWM. The pin closest to the 'dot' (lower left pin if you can read the text on the chip) is pin 1 and is the supply voltage of the chip. From the pictures, I see that pin 4 (lower right) and 5 (upper right) are connected to wires, but it is unclear to what they connect. I'm assuming 1 of them will be going to the LEDs?

pin 4 is a input-only pin so I doubt this will provide the PWM signal. There are other pins connected as well, but I'm not sure what they are used for since I don't know most of the components. Like sucnip said, experiment to find the right pin. I think you can even try it without cutting the trace to pin 1. just put it in a lower mode and briefly connect the pins to pin 1 (wouldn't do that with pin 4 though). If it's the right pin, it should give a high output.

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
The pins are numbered counterclockwise starting with the dot- pin 1. This is Vdd or supply voltage. Pin 8, opposite pin 1, is Vss or ground. Do not short pin 1 to 8. May fry the board or your battery.

dolfin

Newly Enlightened
@350xfire cut the trace to pin 1 on the 12f629 pic uprocessor. Jumper the cut trace to the pin used for output pwm. This will cause it to be on 100% of the time. Experiment to find the correct pin... Difficult to see without a picture.

hi folks, I have tried it with a pic 12E675 and it works connecting pin 1 to pin 5. without cutting anything. i get max output all the time

cheers
DS