Tritium Decision...

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Green or Blue Tritium?

Anyone have both?

Which do you like better?

Is one significantly brighter than the other?

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Green is the brightest of the colors. Check B@rt's Tritium thread on CPFMP, when it gets back online, for the chart of brightness levels.

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Green is the brightest of the colors. Check B@rt's Tritium thread on CPFMP, when it gets back online, for the chart of brightness levels.

I've been looking at a lot of Flashlights with Tritium both Green and Blue. Both look really nice.

Just wondering if the blue is really that much dimmer. In pictures it looks bright.

I want an EDC that I can have on my nightstand and with out a doubt see it.

Could the blue fit this requirement or is the green a better choice?

indadark

Newly Enlightened
In the dark with night adapted vision it's a non-issue, pick your color preference.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
brightness.jpg

I install both & often keep a small container with green & ice blue 1.5x5.0mm trits near the mill. Green is almost twice as bright, blue is pretty bright. Photo is copied from B@rt's thread located here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?242634-B-rt-s-Tritium-Thread-Part-Deux

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would only go with ice-blue - blue looks cool but if you want bright, go with green like everyone else said. I have an RPM tailcap with yellow trits that's bright enough. Red is almost pointless in my opinion.

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like green is, if not the brightest, emits the easiest wavelength to see.

Last edited:

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
My night-adapted eyes prefer the green to the blue. I've got green, blue, and red tritium tubes, all bought the same year. The red one is pretty damned dim, and the blue's even dimmer (I've got the dark blue one). The green knocks them both out of the park.

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
In this picture they look about the same. Is this what a real life experience would be?

IMG_0575.jpg

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Is the Blue Tritium bright enough to see on a dresser 4 -5 feet a way in the dark?

Tarponfly49

Newly Enlightened
I think you guys missed the fact he said he had the darker blue...in my experience with gun night sights...ice blue is pretty bright but less than green, dark blue is almost nonexistent

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in my experience... not the blues, unless you've got a long-exposure shot like the one above. The green stands out right away in the dark - but not the dark blues. Those are dismal. Even with night adapted eyes (think four hours sleep, all curtains closed), I can barely see the blue tritium sitting on my desk 5-6' away, while the SMALLER green tube below it is brighter. Or the green tube the same size as the blue on a shelf 10 feet away.

Tarponfly49

Newly Enlightened
Not in my experience... not the blues, unless you've got a long-exposure shot like the one above. The green stands out right away in the dark - but not the dark blues. Those are dismal. Even with night adapted eyes (think four hours sleep, all curtains closed), I can barely see the blue tritium sitting on my desk 5-6' away, while the SMALLER green tube below it is brighter. Or the green tube the same size as the blue on a shelf 10 feet away.

I agree completely with you, as you said, in regards to dark blue....barely noticeable. Ice blue, however is much much brighter....and while not as bright as green, is much more noticeable than say red, or the dark blue
....and again I'm only speaking on my personal experience using tritium tubes for gun sights, etc......

Last edited:

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses.

Green seems like the best color of tritium to go with (if visibility is the main concern).

As this light will be an EDC, the ability to see it in as many environments possible the better.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of both blue and green vials and this is my 2 cents: in total darkness blue (which is nicer) is quite visible while in semi darkness green is much more easy to spot. So it really depends on where you expect to find your flashlight, I mean in what kind of environment.

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of both blue and green vials and this is my 2 cents: in total darkness blue (which is nicer) is quite visible while in semi darkness green is much more easy to spot. So it really depends on where you expect to find your flashlight, I mean in what kind of environment.

In total darkness how far away can you see blue?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Moved to General Light Discussion Electroluminescent / GID - Norm

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In total darkness how far away can you see blue?

I would say 2-3 meters. Well of course I am talking about thin and short vials, the ones that can be fitted on a flashlight (e.g. 5 x 1.55 mm). Green can be seen at double that distance.
The story is quite different in the case of large vials (e.g. 23 x 3 mm) with which you can almost walk in total darkness.

Latest posts