My first knife - suggestions welcomed !

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to knives and I'm going to buy my first "nice" knife.
After hours and hours of reading information here, on some other forums and after watching several reviews I fell in love with the Spyderco centofante 3.

What is your opinion on this one? If some of you own the knife - how does it do over time? I'm often going to the mountains so I will mainly use it there - for slicing food, picking up mushrooms and of course some other (harder) tasks.

Is this the right choice or do you have some other suggestions for me. I will appreciate your opinion :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
I like Spydercos I don't own the particular on you're looking at but I think there are a lot of similarities between their knives mostly because of the very conspicuous thumb deployment hole.
Well, it certainly looks like a nice knife and the price is right but .... that's a pretty big hollow ground blade. Would be nice if they did a full flat grind. Just my opinion I guess.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just a suggestion . . . .

I would also recommend a handy Swiss Army Knife, as these are SO useful to have.

a Victorinox Farmer, (silver Alox version) would be a fine choice.

Good Luck !

JacobJones

Enlightened
I don't own any spyderco knives but if they where not so ugly I would, apparently they are very good but I just can't get over the looks. If you like a more traditional appearance the spanish knives such as muela and nieto are excellent

carrot

Flashaholic
I got to play with one but I do not own one. It is nice. You will not regret it. It is nice and thin and lightweight so very easy to carry and a great slicer.

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
If I might make a suggestion~buy once,cry once. Get yourself a Chris Reeve

"Sebenza" and be done with it.Have had mine for many years,sent it back to CR for

spa treatment and it always comes back like new. Guaranteed for life and strong as

can be.I edc the small and also carry the large on occasion.

You pay peanuts,you get monkeys.

carrot

Flashaholic
I got to play with one but I do not own one. It is nice. You will not regret it. It is nice and thin and lightweight so very easy to carry and a great slicer.

I should elaborate. I became a Spyderco fan after making the mistake of buying a few other well-known brands first... boy, what a waste of money.

In my opinion, Spyderco has the best performing blades, the best ergonomics, and the most satisfying lock-ups. Many customs later... I'm still carrying Spyderco... because Spyderco really sets the bar. While I am also a fan of Victorinox and Mora and Buck and Case and Fallkniven and Chris Reeve and occasionally Boker... two things remain constant, the Victorinox on my keyring and the Spyderco in my pocket.

enkidu

Newly Enlightened
I own a bevy of spydercos and they deliver a great knife. I don't own a centofante but have played around with a few. They are great slicers with thin pointy blades. If you don't have a pry tool of some sort I'd add it to your mix, the gerber shard is a good economical place to start. Other knives which pinch way above their weight class are victorinox and chris reeve. I currently edc a Spyderco stretch 2 which is another great knife.

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
The best thing you can do is to go to a knife shop. Get your hands on the knives that you're interested in and see how they feel. Interestingly enough, just cause it's "perty", doesn't mean you'll actually like it.

A knife is a tool. Pick the right tool for the job.

If you're slicing and dicing, choose a thinner blade. Picking mushrooms would suggest using a thin bladed fixed knife. Harder chores would suggest an heavier knife depending on the chore.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to collect pocket knives..... Until I bought my first William Henry knife. Thin, lightweight, strong, sharp, custom, expensive. I bought that knife 5--6 years ago and have not bought a knife since. My next knife will be a William Henry. Superb in every way. You might say a *cut* above other knifes.

enkidu

Newly Enlightened
HotWire said:
I used to collect pocket knives..... Until I bought my first William Henry knife. Thin, lightweight, strong, sharp, custom, expensive. I bought that knife 5--6 years ago and have not bought a knife since. My next knife will be a William Henry. Superb in every way. You might say a *cut* above other knifes.
Congratulations! I agree that William Henry makes a superb knife. They are definitely near the top of the knife manufacturing companies. I have a ZDP B15 and it is one of my very favorite knives. I'd definitely add them to my list of knife makers who are punching above their weight class, of course they are in a much more expensive weight class than Spyderco. If you can afford it (and by afford it, I mean buy one without much debate) they are well worth the money. If not, the Centofante is a superb knife.

samm

Newly Enlightened
I think any Spyderco is an excellent first choice. Last for decades, razor sharp out of the box, and the makers Sal Glesser and his son are very honorable people. Try to go to a knife store and see how it feels in your hand, that's the key. My favorite Spydies are the Delica and the Endura. The Endura being the larger of the two. Great grip and thumb ramp for control while cutting, and feel perfect in the hand. I like the combo blades on both, which means the front half is a plain edge and back half serrated. I also like the G10 handle but the FRN handle is fine. For what your using it for the combo blade would be a big plus, the serrations will cut through anything, and saves the front part for slicing food etc and not getting dull quickly. All the above info from everyone is great. I agree with carrot 100%. I bought my first Spyderco probably 30 years ago. The Spyderco Cricket on my keychain has lasted well over 15+ years, looks beat to death but still razor sharp. Another brand, the Zero Tolerance 0200ST is also a great knife that can handle just about anything. But it's a much beefy heavier knife. Great price for what you get, and feels great in the hand. And to answer your question Spydercos do great over time. You should also be sure to check the knife laws where you live as far as how many inches is allowed for the blade and how strict it's enforced. Good luck, sorry to ramble on. I had a older version of the Centofante but gifted it to a cousin. The 3 looks really nice, I'd go for it.

Last edited:

ganymede

Enlightened
Not sure if the OP has bought his folder. If not, take it look at Para Military 2 and also Manix 2. Delica, Endura and Tenacious are great and cheaper too.

Whatever you do DON'T look at the Sprint Runs! You will regret big time if you look at them! :naughty:

nguyet16

Newly Enlightened
what ever you do,get a quality knife if going to the mountains or anywhere...the movie "127 hrs" proved it:D

cyber5

Newly Enlightened
IMO - you just can't go wrong with a Spyderco. Great blades for cutting/slicing. Wouldn't want to pry with one, but love to cut with them. Check the police model for something a bit bigger, if you want.