• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

water resistance

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How water resistant are the mountain series lights. Everyone talks about IPX-8. Are they tested?
The only concern I have is the Bezel/optic letting water past.

peakfreak

Newly Enlightened
I have an El Capitan, Pamir and aaaVolcan. All of the lenses are loose, I can hear them rattle when I tap on them. Ive used them in the rain, but I too fear they would suffer a breach if submerged.

d337944

Enlightened
Not that water resistant really - my dad's got a Peak Logan and got caught in heavy rain using it for about 5 mins or so. After about half an hour of going inside and drying the Logan off, the lens became all cloudy on the inside due to condensation!

We thought it was ruined ... however a couple of days later the lens was crystal clear again, meaning all of the water condensation had dried out!

Note: None of this condensation has affected operation of the Logan at all, as its been running perfectly the whole time.

I can only speak of our one and only Peak product, but our Logan is definitely not very water resistant.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
So these are great lights, some of my favorites, just don't get them wet? Seems odd to pot the electronics etc, and not seal the optic.
Curt, can we get some input?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will add my name to the list as well. The Eiger I purchased gets water behind the Lens as well. Although it still works, I no longer use it

Now I understand why Curt or Peak never responded to previous threads or emails asking for water resistance ratings...They simply aren't!

MKLight

Enlightened
I think it depends on the model. I have a SS Caribbean and Baltic that I had to modify to create water resistance. I have Matterhorns that all seem water resistant. My first Eiger is less water resistant than the newer ones. I don't know if the newer optic plays a part in this. My Logans (all key ring models - 2 SS Power 8 and 1 SS QTC) are all water resistant, as well as the newest SS Eiger QTC in Lug form. I only have one issue with a lens being scratched. It's on of the first Eigers made. It had a Rebel 100. When I purchased it new, there was scratch on the outer lens - looks like a pen knife may have scratched it - possibly when the lens was being installed. It's bothered me so much, that it sits in a drawer and really never gets used... It's unfortunate. Besides that, all the newer and some of the older models seems very water resistant... If not waterproof.

Curt R

Enlightened
When we assemble the heads the window is several thousands of
an inch oversize to provide a press fit into the head. This holds the
optic in place. Then we run a bead of aquarium silicone seal around
the edge and then install the trim ring that is also a press fit. The
excess silicone that is squeezed out is removed before it drys.

Replacement windows and trim rings are just a SASE to anyone that
requires them. We do not include them as the may get lost over time.

To remove the window, dig a small hole in the window next to the trim
ring, insert a small nail or other something, and pop it off.

If the window was made of glass, it would be harder to seal and the
head would have to be longer and larger in diameter to prevent the
window from breaking if dropped. Each material has it advantages and
disadvantages.

Curt

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im confused????.....is this a quality control issue or a design flaw?

purelite

Enlightened
with the head potted though as long as water doesnt get into the battery compartment then it should keep running yes? The body is sealed with an oring and the head is enclosed so though water may get in the head would it short out the led?

Shooter21

Enlightened
that's a shame since peak lights are known for ruggedness but if they get wet you're in trouble. i'm sure if water gets on the led it would destroy it '

choombak

Enlightened
that's a shame since peak lights are known for ruggedness but if they get wet you're in trouble. i'm sure if water gets on the led it would destroy it '

My real world experience differs - I routinely wash my Eigers and Matterhorns with soap, warm water and a soft toothbrush, and all lights get a good, thorough scrub. Till today I haven't seen any water leaking inside the light. Additionally, my Eiger sits in the watch pocket which gets very sweaty and wet, but it shows no sign of any water leaks. I have no experience with other Peak lights though.

peakfreak

Newly Enlightened
When we assemble the heads the window is several thousands of
an inch oversize to provide a press fit into the head. This holds the
optic in place. Then we run a bead of aquarium silicone seal around
the edge and then install the trim ring that is also a press fit. The
excess silicone that is squeezed out is removed before it drys.

Replacement windows and trim rings are just a SASE to anyone that
requires them. We do not include them as the may get lost over time.

To remove the window, dig a small hole in the window next to the trim
ring, insert a small nail or other something, and pop it off.

If the window was made of glass, it would be harder to seal and the
head would have to be longer and larger in diameter to prevent the
window from breaking if dropped. Each material has it advantages and
disadvantages.

Curt

Hi Curt, that post you made is hard to understand. Are your lights meant to be waterproof or not? If the optic/lens is rattling when I tap on it (as is the case with all three I own), is there a problem? If so, it sounds like I'm on my own...Is that right?