Sniping curiosity.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always like sniping when playing games. But when playing games, there aren't really any skills involve (at least for Counter Strike). I am currently watching a sniping movie and was curious. Before you pull the trigger do you:

Inhale --> while exhaling --> pull trigger
Inhale -->hold breath --> pull trigger --> exhale
Inhale --> exhale --> hold breath --> pull trigger

Which is the right method?

OCD

Enlightened
I believe it to be "Inhale --> while exhaling --> pull trigger". Holding your breath causes the scope to bounce on every beat of your heart.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I exhale fully and then squeeze the trigger slowly (as one should), I find myself starting to tense up or panic a little after about a second or two, which makes tough to shoot accurately. It's best to squeeze during the second half of a slow exhale, IMO. Full lungs and held breath make you way too tense.

Sorry to talk about myself so much in this reply.

DaisyCutter

Newly Enlightened
I always like sniping when playing games. But when playing games, there aren't really any skills involve (at least for Counter Strike). I am currently watching a sniping movie and was curious. Before you pull the trigger do you:

Inhale --> while exhaling --> pull trigger
Inhale -->hold breath --> pull trigger --> exhale
Inhale --> exhale --> hold breath --> pull trigger

Which is the right method?

The last option is closest, traditionally speaking.

Many teach not to exhale fully, but enough to be comfortable and "neutral".

That would be for a long range shot, requireing your best accuracy.

"Adequate marksmanship" is a function os distance.

For a 10' shot with my pistol, I don't use the sights. I draw and fire instinctively, and it's accurate "enough". At that range a threat is very imminent. For a 75' shot, I use the sights and practive the "fundamentals of marksmanship" (google).

With a rifle, I take a 100' shot differently than a 500'.

I'm not a sniper. I'm a patrol cop and the closest I've come is being on perimeter, for hours, holding a rifle in the heat. I have a certain area/zone I need to hit on a suspect that represents the target. MY goal is to deliver any shot I take to that zone, 100% of the time, as fast as possible. I'm not looking for pinpoint accuracy, I'm looking for a decent hit, fast, to end the violence ASAP.

For shots reaching the max of my ability, I worry about breathing. For the routine shots, I worry about sight alignment and trigger pull - only. Generally you have to shoot from less than ideal angles or scenarios, so stance and breathing, etc. aren't incorporated as much.

You don't need a bullseye on a guy at arm's length with a knife, but you do need to send rounds *now*.

Sight alignment, and trigger pull. Do whatever you need to, to keep those adequate enough to hit your target.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
When I was in the Army Cadets (Canadian) at High School in Halifax NS (1963), we were taught marksmanship with .303 rifles converted to .22 bullets. We were taught to inhale, let half the breath out, then fire. Hopefully, your heart wouldn't be pumping so hard that the rifle bobbed up and down while taking aim.

Lucciola

Enlightened
I don't have any experience with marksmanship, but I did a lot of photography for a while. I got the best handheld availlable-light shots with lenses up to 100mm/35mm film with exactly the method of PhotonBoy, pressing the shutter when half exhaled. It's also important to push the shutter button in a smooth and slow motion, no hectic movements. Just my 2 cents (Euro cents :D )

Lucciola

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
what i have learned.. exhaling half way is best way to keep the sight steady when squeezing.

but not an sniper here either.. im more of an instinct killer. aim and shoot. if i dont have time to think and aim i can hit what i want. if i really try to focus and aim.- i start to shake, and miss so my natural limits are under 300yards.. (i have hit a target at 700 but i think that really was more like lucky shot.)

empty lungs: i get anxious and hurry the shot. or my heart beats and start to bounce or shake the sights.
full lungs: i feel the pressure to breathe out and hurry the shot again.
so to me while exhaling or stopping in middle of exhale for final adjustment is the best way.

i have friends whom are snipers.. and they are good. i have never seen other one of them ever miss or hit only at 9 ring in target. never mind what weapon he takes into his hands and adjusts the sights to fit his style. after he knows the gun.. he just hits. one shot. one kill. simple math. i like that.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
naah.. i think it was a fluke. im not that good. hah. if it wasnt a fluke it was because of the equipment and surroundings hahah. mansized target, exellent target rifle (sako trg) with awesome scope and tripod, exellent conditions, a valley with no wind and bright but cloudy day so no heat shimmering. and superb advice from the spotter/the sniper guy whose gun i was using. he could tack them rounds into groups at that distance i was just happy to hit it once! hahhah.

oh.. forgot.. i accidentally amercianized the distance.. i did mean meters instead of yards.

and.. this said.. i have missed once a prey that was sitting in a tree at knee height.. less than 10feet from me. had a shotgun. aimed it. but decided to drop the winterglove off the trigger hand to get better feel.. and the bird didnt fly away.. dropped the other glove too to get better grip of fore end. got good balance stance. leaned in and aimed.. and fired.

and watched the bird fly away un harmed. walked to the sprucetree and saw the clean round shaped bit of the wood showing where bark had been flown away and led imbedded into.. maybe inch above the place where the head of the willowgrouse was moment before.

not a bad day otherwise.. i bagged 9 birds that day and shot only 9 times. (including the one round i missed with) but that one keeps haunting me in a way. hahahh.. it just proves something..

a sitting "duck" i cant hit.. make it fly att odd angles and even startle me when bouncing up from my feet and i can drop them easily.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holding your breath causes the scope to bounce on every beat of your heart.
What, unlike when you are breathing and therefore your heart isn't beating ???
thinking.gif

OCD

Enlightened
What, unlike when you are breathing and therefore your heart isn't beating ???
thinking.gif

When you hold your breath, you tense up making all you muscles in you upper body tense. The simple beating of your hear then transmits through all those muscles. When looking through a 12x magnification scope such as I use, your almost unnoticeable heartbeat is magnified enough to see the cross hairs moving on your target with each beat. Exhaling relaxes those muscles and thus should help to make a better, more controlled shot.

It one of those things that if you have never experienced it first hand, its probably hard to imagine.

phatjohn

Newly Enlightened
I guess this is a heck of a way to make my first post on these boards. I am a retired L.E.O., and life long gun enthusiast and hunter. I've done my share of long distance rifle shooting and know guys who have "been there and done that".

I have had the pleasure of being good friends with a retired USMC Scout Sniper. He also completed the FBI sniper school in Quantico, VA. He served in the Baltic in the '90s. He and I worked for a private US Gov't contractor which manufactured match grade .50 BMG ammunition used by the US and other governments for their Spec-Op's snipers. I loaded the ammo, he tested it. His procedure was, time permitting;

3 deep controlled breaths (to oxygenate the blood to a higher degree)
On the exhale of the third breath, when he "bottomed out" he would hold his breath (lungs full of air amplifies the movement of the rectical due to heart beats). He would then time his shots to "break" in between heartbeats (yes it can be done). He is the most accomplished rifle shot I have ever met and I changed the way I shoot long distances to his method because it works for me. YMMV.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
phatjohn has described the way I was taught - 3 deep breaths and shoot when almost finished the last exhale.

Oh and :welcome:

phatjohn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Meganoggin!!!!! I'm still a noob in the high performance flashlight world but have been a firearms enthusiast my entire life. Willing to share whatever knowledge I have about firearms, all anyone has to do is ask.

Last edited:

Cobra308

Newly Enlightened