4sevens Quark X 123-2 Review

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone, I've got a production model of the new Quark X. This is an XM-L version of the very popular Quark series of lights. The X models have the new Cree XM-L emitters installed. This light is the Regular UI version, and this particular light was sent to me by 4sevens for review purposes.

Click on the small thumbnail below to see the full size image of the Quark X 123-2 operators manual. Within the manual you will find all the specs for this light, including how to operate this light:

This sample was sent to me without any accessories, packaging, etc. I would expect those items to be the same as the items that usually come with the Quark XP-G models, but I can't say for sure because they weren't included for my review.

Externally the Quark X is nearly identical to the regular Quark series, with very subtle changes to the body/battery tube. The size of the engraving of the brand name (4sevens) and model name are slightly smaller on the Quark X model, and there are some minor machining differences at the point where the body/battery tube is reduced in size from the head end and tail cap end. They are very minor, aesthetic differences, and do not affect the function of the light.

These lights do have square cut threads just like all other Quark models before it, so you can mix and match parts (I've already tried and the threading is the same:)):

DSC01841.jpg

DSC01841crop.jpg

Here are some images of the Quark X compared to the Quark XP-G model. Note that my XP-G model has the optional 4sevens deep carry clip on it. I thought I'd mention that for any of you who may not be familiar with Quark lights, and might mistaken the deep carry clip as an included item with one light, but not the other. Don't want to mislead anyone :):

DSC01812.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

Of course if you look at the business end of the Quark X, the emitter difference is apparent :D. Since this light has updated circuitry from the XP-G/E versions, the electronic components have some differences, too, and this can be seen from the back of the circuit board. 4sevens implemented thermal regulation into this light as well, and that's one reason as to why the circuitry was changed (see my OTF lumen charts below for the results of the change :thumbsup:):

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

Now for the dyno testing ;).

For those of you who aren't aware, I have my own calibrated homemade integrating sphere (I have two, actually) for measuring lumen output of different lights. My sphere's have been calibrated using lights that were measured in a professional lab sphere, so my lumen results are very accurate. However, due to common variables such as temperature differences, battery charge state differences, and even differences within the components used within each and every light, you should only use my results as an example of what one sample outputs in OTF lumens. If you purchase one of these lights I'm sure the output would be similar, provided all variables are similar, but your light may not produce exactly the same output as this sample. The output could be less, the output could be more, it just depends.

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way, here are my OTF lumen results for this amazing little pocket rocket. This light has thermal regulation/protection. Looking at my graphs, you will notice the thermal regulation kick in at around 4 minutes into the run time. This explains the drop in output. For anyone who doesn't know, this is done to #1- keep you from being injured due to excessive heat, which could burn you and/or cause certain battery types to explode from excessive heat. And #2- it's also done to protect the components of the light, which keeps the light in perfect working order no matter the environment:

QuarkX123-22x4sevensCR123PrimariesOTFLumenRuntimeGraph.png

QuarkX123-22xAW16340IMROTFLumenRuntimeGraph.png

QuarkX123-22xRCR123OTFLumenRuntimeGraph.png

And here are all three previous run times within the same graph:

QuarkX123-2OTFLumenComparisonDifferentBatteries.png

And the thermal graph for all three run times:

QuarkX123-2ThermalGraphComparisonDifferentBatteries.png

I also compared the Quark X with my Quark XP-G S2 123-2:

QuarkX123-2vsQuarkS2123-2OTFLumenRuntimeGraph.png

Thermal graph:

QuarkX123-2vsQuark123-2S2RuntimeThermalGraph.png

I've also done OTF lumen testing using an AW 17670 Li-ion battery. Please note that 4sevens does not recommend the use of 17670 cells because of different tolerances of battery tubes and/or cell size. If you plan on running a 17670 cell in your Quark 123-2, please understand that the cell may or may not fit. It's a gamble. If it's a tight fit, don't try to force the cell because you could possibly tear the insulation covering the cell and damage the battery, and/or injure yourself or someone else. Okay, now that I've got that out of the way, here are my results:

Quark X 123-2 with AW 17670 cell:

QuarkX123-2AW17670OTFLumenGraph.png

All battery combinations compared:

QuarkX123-2OTFLumenComparisonDifferentBatteries1.png

Beam Shots:

These were taken against my garage door with manual settings. The white balance was set to auto, but all other settings remained the same for each comparison shot.

4ft from light to garage door, long exposure:

4ftLEQuarkX123-2vsQuark123-2XP-GS2.gif

4ft-LE-Quark-X-123-2-vs-Quark-123-2-XP-E-R2.gif

4ft from light to garage door, short exposure:

4ft-SE-Quark-X-123-2-vs-Quark-123-2-XP-G-S2.gif

4ft-SE-Quark-X-123-2-vs-Quark-123-2-XP-E-R2.gif

8ft from light to garage door, long exposure:

8ft-LE-Quark-X-123-2-vs-Quark-123-2-XP-G-S2.gif

8ft-LE-Quark-X-123-2-vs-Quark-123-2-XP-E-R2.gif

8ft from light to garage door, short exposure:

8ft-SE-Quark-X-123-2-vs-Quark-123-2-XP-G-S2.gif

8ft-SE-Quark-X-123-2-vs-Quark-123-2-XP-E-R2.gif

I hope you enjoyed reading my review, and thanks for looking.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
Hi, thx for the review.
I own a 123-2 XP-G NW

Do you know if I can buy a new XML head separately, then I could upgrade my "old" flashlight to the new emitter.

And do you recommend the upgrade (but don't consider the NW vs CW difference)

Harry999

Enlightened
ti-force,

Thank you for the review. I have a Thrunite Neutron so know how useful the floody beam of this new Quark X will be. I already have all quark body forms so I think I will be investing in the Quark X AA2 before Christmas so that I can stick the head on a 18650 body. Now that will be a nice light! :)

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the AA version head would work on my Quark AA regular 1AA XR-G S2?

carrot

Flashaholic
Cool review Ti-Force. The comparison gifs are truly helpful. Do you see this as a must-have upgrade? It's hard to get a good feel for the lumens increase from numbers or even pictures.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Terrific review! Thanks very much. Excellent job on the pics too, they are very illustrative of the difference between the X and the S2. I own a bunch of Quarks, including a 123*2 'Tactical' R5 and a 123*2 'Tactical' S2. Looks like I am gonna be buying at least one of these lights.

Are they planning on offering a 'Tactical' version, do you know?? EDIT: never mind. They DO offer a 'Tactical' version, and I just ordered one!

Many thanks for the write-up!

-

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
My one final comment would be - why didn't they make the body 2mm wider so it could accept 18650 batteries??

Oh well, still an awesome light and I look forward to getting mine in the mail!

-

Harry999

Enlightened
It is 0.9V to 4.2V in range so the head on the AA2 is compatible I would have thought with the 1AA and 1xCR123 Quark bodies. It should also be able to use a 14500 in the 1AA body with that voltage range...

xCarbonSteelx

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the whole flashlight world. Just purchased one of these today through 4sevens site.

Prior to this website, I was happy with my 4d Maglite and though it was the be all, end all light. Boy, do I have a lot to learn.

ganymede

Enlightened
ti-force,

Thanks for the quick review, does the light still have the infamous preflash?

ALMOST the perfect light! Why can't it take 18650?

tony22

Newly Enlightened
Great review. Any chance of seeing beamshot comparisons with the R5 version?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great review! (As usual)

Has the pre-flash issue been addressed?

Do you know or can you measure amps at the tailcap b4 and after thermal protection kicks in?

Is the protection tripped by time or temperature?

Thanks again for a great job!

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, thx for the review.
I own a 123-2 XP-G NW

Do you know if I can buy a new XML head separately, then I could upgrade my "old" flashlight to the new emitter.

And do you recommend the upgrade (but don't consider the NW vs CW difference)

You're welcome:). I'm not sure if they will offer just the head or not. If they can produce enough without interrupting their supply for whole light sales, and if they feel the market would support the sales of just the head, they could, but that's just a guess. I would definitely recommend this light for purchase. I'm purchasing one myself, and it will be my edc light for a long time :D.

ti-force,

Thank you for the review. I have a Thrunite Neutron so know how useful the floody beam of this new Quark X will be. I already have all quark body forms so I think I will be investing in the Quark X AA2 before Christmas so that I can stick the head on a 18650 body. Now that will be a nice light! :)

You're welcome. And that would be a great setup.

Nice review ti-force. Excellent information about a good little light.

Thanks :). And same complements to you on your review as well. Feel free to post a direct link to your review in this thread if you would like.

I wonder if the AA version head would work on my Quark AA regular 1AA XR-G S2?

You will have to purchase the AA-2 head because they aren't offering the AA X version (not at the moment anyway). I also have one of those for review, but I'm still working on my review. I'll try to make time to test it with a single Li-ion battery.

Nice review, Ti-Force !

:goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:
_

Thanks Ti-Force great review! I never did get a 2xCR123 Quark, or a regular UI Quark so this will have to be my next light.

You're welcome, and :devil:..... he's telling you to order one :D.

Cool review Ti-Force. The comparison gifs are truly helpful. Do you see this as a must-have upgrade? It's hard to get a good feel for the lumens increase from numbers or even pictures.

Thanks, and you're welcome. I consider it a must have upgrade, myself. As you know, it is a wider beam pattern, but that makes it a great general purpose light, IMO. At turn-on, and up to the point where thermal regulation kicks in, this light is much brighter than the Quark XP-G lights. I'm really impressed with this light.

Terrific review! Thanks very much. Excellent job on the pics too, they are very illustrative of the difference between the X and the S2. I own a bunch of Quarks, including a 123*2 'Tactical' R5 and a 123*2 'Tactical' S2. Looks like I am gonna be buying at least one of these lights.

Are they planning on offering a 'Tactical' version, do you know?? EDIT: never mind. They DO offer a 'Tactical' version, and I just ordered one!

Many thanks for the write-up!

-

You're welcome :) I'm glad this review is interesting to you guys.

My one final comment would be - why didn't they make the body 2mm wider so it could accept 18650 batteries??

Oh well, still an awesome light and I look forward to getting mine in the mail!

-

The main problem with fitting an 18650 in the Quark lights is that the threads for the head are smaller ID than the the OD of an 18650 cell. I actually got my calipers out a few months ago with the idea of having a friend of mine cut the ID of one of my 2xcr123 tubes larger to fit 18650's, but the threaded end just simply isn't large enough, and the cut would get into the threads of the body, so it's not physically possible with the current 2xcr123 tube. This is why the 18650 Quark body is multiple pieces.

ti-force,

Thanks for the quick review, does the light still have the infamous preflash?

ALMOST the perfect light! Why can't it take 18650?

Please see my response above your quote for an explanation about the fitting of 18650 batteries. As far as preflash, I believe it's gone. I'll have to play with it some more to make certain, though.

It is 0.9V to 4.2V in range so the head on the AA2 is compatible I would have thought with the 1AA and 1xCR123 Quark bodies. It should also be able to use a 14500 in the 1AA body with that voltage range...

Yes, that's correct with the AA-2 X head, although they don't advertise it to work like that. Please check current draw to make certain it's safe to use with an RCR123 cell, though. Don't exceed the 2c rule.

I am new to the whole flashlight world. Just purchased one of these today through 4sevens site.

Prior to this website, I was happy with my 4d Maglite and though it was the be all, end all light. Boy, do I have a lot to learn.

Hehe..... you will be very pleased with the output of this light. Welcome to the addiction :).

Great review. Any chance of seeing beamshot comparisons with the R5 version?

Thanks. The XP-G S2 bin comparison shots should be comparable enough with an R5 binning XP-G. The S2 is brighter, but not really enough that you would see much difference in my images if I were to do that comparison.

WHEW!! I'm out of breath lol...

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! (As usual)

Has the pre-flash issue been addressed?

Do you know or can you measure amps at the tailcap b4 and after thermal protection kicks in?

Is the protection tripped by time or temperature?

Thanks again for a great job!

Thanks :).I haven't experienced any preflash with my sample. If I turn the light on in max mode, then off, then twist the head and activate Moonlight mode there's a slight stutter (only way I know to describe it). It's not a flash, though. I think they've resolved the preflash issue. I'll check current draw, but I don't have time to do it tonight (so little time to do anything anymore :)).

I believe the initial drop in output from 500 + OTF down to 350+ OTF is timed, but then output is controlled by temperature after that. I'm not certain about the timed drop, but I believe that's what happens. Maybe someone from 4sevens will chime in to answer that one.

What was the color of the tint on the sample ?

It's not neutral, but it's definitely not green or blue. It's pretty comparable to most XM-L lights I've seen. I would say it has a very slight yellowish tint to the hot spot.

Last edited:

ganymede

Enlightened
The main problem with fitting an 18650 in the Quark lights is that the threads for the head are smaller ID than the the OD of an 18650 cell. I actually got my calipers out a few months ago with the idea of having a friend of mine cut the ID of one of my 2xcr123 tubes larger to fit 18650's, but the threaded end just simply isn't large enough, and the cut would get into the threads of the body, so it's not physically possible with the current 2xcr123 tube. This is why the 18650 Quark body is multiple pieces.

ti-force,

The way I see it is that 4sevens decided that all Quarks should be legoable, they can actually come up with a bigger body and head for the 18650, but because of the legobility they dropped the idea. But I am quite sure the optional and now discontinued 18650 tube will work and be an even hotter commodity!

pinetree89

Enlightened
Thanks for the review ti-force. Nice work on the graphs. I'm amazed at the increase in output with not much decrease in runtime over the XP-G.