4Sevens Quark X AA² Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens Quark AA² - Submitted for consideration for the review forum

4Sevens continues to update their product line, stuffing new LEDs into existing models to boost their efficiency. The question is, does breath new life into aging product lines, or is it simply an old dog trying to learn a new trick?

Quark X AA²

Meat and Potatoes

The new Quark X AA² is the latest iteration of 4Sevens now legendary introductory line of flashlights. They've been continually upping the ante and stretching the envelope (along with any other idiomatic metaphors you are applicable) by improving these lights in lockstep with the inexorable march of technology.

In this generation they have inserted the relatively large Cree XM-L LED into the relatively small head of their two celled lights. Combine this with a lightly textured reflector and you have the recipie for an excellent floody beam very well suited to EDC tasks and close range activities. This beam is very smooth and broad with a large hotspot blending into a bright spillbeam through a broad corona. Interestingly, the beam does seem to have a slight tint variation across it's profile, but it is so slight that it is really only visible when hunting the elusive white wall. When not pursuing such subtle game, these differences remain unnoticeable.

Cree XM-L

User interface has changed very little in this variant since the origin of the Quark series. It still uses the same basic multi-line UI pioneered by Fenix. The Quarks have always been renown for having a few extra modes that other brands don't usually possess however sporting 5 constant outputs and 3 different blinkey modes. 4Sevens has wisely chosen their output levels to be very well spaced and provide quite even coverage for a very wide range of brightnesses. In spite of not offering an "infinite" adjustment range, it is always very simple to find a light level to adequately meet your illumination needs.

Fit and finish of the Quark series has not changed one whit. End to end knurling is still the order of the day and anodizing is top notch as before. Simply put, the Quark series is a durable, basic, form-follows-function design that begs little improvement. Sure, the aesthetics aren't anything spectacular that grabs your eye, but it has a simple beauty that just works.

Quark X AA²

Constructive Criticism

Last time I reviewed this light I mentioned only one detrimental aspect. It had a distracting momentary preflash when you activated the light in moon mode. Unfortunately this is one area that the Quark X line has not improved. This preflash is still prevalent virtually every time the light is used. What I can say however is that this slight distraction is nothing more than that, just a slight distraction. It will NOT destroy your night vision. It will NOT cause pain with completely dark adapted vision. It will NOT wake up the sleeping baby that you are checking on at 3AM. Believe me, this I can attest to with firsthand experience, I used this light for weeks in exactly that role. It isn't a game changer, but since it is so consistent and many people are very concerned about preflash, I don't believe I can let it slide without mentioning it. I did want to make sure I clarified its real importance in the long run though.

Quark X AA²

Conclusions

The Quark X AA² is just about what you would expect it to be, a solid light with little by way of surprises. It is an update to what is going to before long be considered a classic. 4Sevens Quark line continues to advance. Staying modern by keeping pace with technology's exponential growth.

Provided for review by the kind folks at 4Sevens.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Another great review, but I bet my wife would argue with you about the pre-flash not affecting the sleeping. ;)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice photos with the sawdust background. Give a unique look! :thumbsup:

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
It's an old dog who learned a new trick, but who doesn't love their old dog? And that new trick just makes him that much cooler. :clap:

Thanks for the review and the heads up that this is finally out. I just rushed over to their site and ordered the X AA2 light, AA body, and a deep pocket clip so that I can mini me it with a 14500 battery and finally have the light I've been dreaming about for at least a half a year now. I'm so happy! :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the threads the same as with previous models? I ask because I read in another review the threads where different, mind you it was a 123x2 model and possibly a prototype.

Wrecked

Enlightened
I should be receiving an aa2 xpg in the mail today. Do you think the xm-l is a much better light? I can can probably exchange the one I'm getting.

mmace1

Enlightened
I should be receiving an aa2 xpg in the mail today. Do you think the xm-l is a much better light? I can can probably exchange the one I'm getting.

Check the outputs/runtimes on 4sevens site. On the plus side, the one you have in the mail will be more efficient at all levels (longer runtime). On the negative it won't have as high of a max. On the neutral - yours will throw better due to it's tighter hotspot.

XM-L isn't really an upgrade per se, just another option.

SeanHatfield

Newly Enlightened
About the preflash: I think i read somewhere that they can't get rid of the preflash without a huge hit in battery runtime. I'd rather have the efficiency and runtime that the Quarks offer, than a battery-eating no-preflash light.
Also, if you know about the preflash, just cover the head when you turn it on, and it becomes a non-issue.

Wrecked

Enlightened
Check the outputs/runtimes on 4sevens site. On the plus side, the one you have in the mail will be more efficient at all levels (longer runtime). On the negative it won't have as high of a max. On the neutral - yours will throw better due to it's tighter hotspot.

XM-L isn't really an upgrade per se, just another option.

Thanks. That helps me understand. If the XM-L was "better" I'd get it...but if it's just different then I'll stick with the XP-G.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the preflash: I think i read somewhere that they can't get rid of the preflash without a huge hit in battery runtime. I'd rather have the efficiency and runtime that the Quarks offer, than a battery-eating no-preflash light.
Also, if you know about the preflash, just cover the head when you turn it on, and it becomes a non-issue.
Yeah, David Chow has said basically that. Plus like I mentioned, it's really not as big of an issue as most people make it out to be. It is noticeable, but neither of the light sleeper 6 month old twins woke up because of it when I was checking on them...

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, David Chow has said basically that. Plus like I mentioned, it's really not as big of an issue as most people make it out to be. It is noticeable, but neither of the light sleeper 6 month old twins woke up because of it when I was checking on them...

Agreed, it's NOT an issue. It's one of those things that has been blown way out of proportion on CPF (remember "cree rings" on the xr-e lights?)

From all the hysteria about pre-flash, you'd think that it makes eyeballs explode when you see it. :shakehead

CocoMonGo

Newly Enlightened
any test on how the lights cope with single Eneloops or regular alkaline AA? I see the specs are otherwise very similar to the XP-G Quark AA head.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
One of the most important parts of the review are beamshots:)
Beamshots make people happy.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the most important parts of the review are beamshots:)
Beamshots make people happy.

I agree, mother. It usually "makes" or "breaks" the light. Coz that's the deciding factor at times when purchasing lights. Oh yeah, also the build quality and UI. :)

Lighteous

Enlightened
I'm curious about how this new XM-L Quark AA-2 compares with the ThruNite Neutron 2AA. Is there anyone out there that has both and can comment?

anethema

Newly Enlightened
I wonder why they did not use the new electronics in these that the TurboX has. It has no more preflash, and runtimes are fine.

Lighteous

Enlightened
I'm curious about how this new XM-L Quark AA-2 compares with the ThruNite Neutron 2AA. Is there anyone out there that has both and can comment?

I'll answer my own question -- Selfbuilt just posted a review of the new Quark XM-L line and it includes the corresponding Neutron lights in the comparisions.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I just ordered two of the new "X" lights, a 123*2 and a AA*2.

Regarding your photos with the sawdust background - the flashlights are a tad underexposed. Most cameras will simply average the photo for exposure, so a light background will most always produce a slightly underexposed pic. I might recommend a darker background, or simply Photoshop the pics so the flashlight details pop.

Again, many thanks!