Hi, new member, looking for a keyring light, UK

sastusbulbas

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

New here, no collection or such, but looking at getting one or two flashlights at some point. Since recently getting a Maglite XL100 I have been pondering more power.

But 1st at hand, I require a keyring torch, to replace the useless Maglite AAA model I have put up with for years.

One model I am thinking of is the ITP A1 EOS http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/itp/itp-a1-ss.html or the ITP A3 EOS http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/itp-a3-eos-titanium.html

I am thinking of something that can take AAA rechargeables or CR123 rechargeables (though it means buying a decent charger and cells), adjustable low to high output is helpfull as are decent run times (guessing CR123 here?).

I work out in the middle of nowhere, and every winter locking up leaves me at times in a completely dark 80'000ft square warehouse, with an at times equally dark yard, which makes a keyring model very usefull. The XL100 lives in my rucksack and I would like to replace that at some time with something similar.

Cheers,
Steve

nicodimus22

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E01 is a great AAA keychain light, but it only has 1 level of output so maybe someone else can recommend something a little fancier.

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
ITP A3 EOS is a great light with small form factor for living on a key chain. Medium brightness is about what I use about 90% of the time. Get yourself some Eneloop rechargeable NiMH batteries and you will be all set.

mmace1

Enlightened
Hi, welcome to the CPF I am thinking in buy a DQG II very small light, great output and good runtime

SFMI4UT

Are those still available? CNQualitygoods.com is sold out, or did you mean buy a used one from the marketplace?

AaronG

Enlightened
Fenix LD01 or a 4sevens Revo. Both are multiple brightness and both are available in stainless steel. I have the revo but I kinda wish I opted for the fenix. I've had minor spring issues with the revo (which 4sevens corrected) and I think the Fenix mode order would be better for EDC use.

The Fenix E05 is a great little light too but only one brightness setting. I like mine enough that it actually bumped my revo off my keyring :D I would use rechargable eneloops on all of these.

If you want huge power you'll have to go to CR123 but I think you'll be blown away with the new crop of AAA lights

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
A disadvantage for CR123 rechargeables is that they only hold 50-60% the charge of a standard CR123. Just so you know...

If you haven't already, you can scroll down on this site to find side-by-side comparisons of *many* AAA lights: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html

To me - for one of the shortest lights, I'd recommend the Fenix E05. Only one level, but a well chosen one, and I like the pure-flood beam it emits. 4sevens.com has it for (converting) <15 GBP - shipping is free. If not that, I'd recommend the ITP A3 EOS you chose as a nice/economical/small light, or a 4sevens Revo (if you can find it on a UK site) as an alternative with longer runtimes.

Among all 3, I prefer the E05 beam pattern (pure flood). The Fenix E01 is very popular here, and would be brighter than your maglite by far, but is relatively dim, and has a pretty nasty purple tint. On the plus side it's cheap, runs very long, and is nearly indestructible.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy sastusbulbas and welcome to CPF!
First, here is some new guy stuff for you:

A place to learn all about rechargeable batteries:
Battery University:

http://batteryuniversity.com/

Some places to see LOTS of neat lights and all their specs:
Flashlight review sites:
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html

I was recently in the market for a AAA keyring light and ended up with the Fenix LD01 with the new Cree XP-G R5 emitter. It's a solid, bright, 3 level keyring light. Many of the current AAA lights turn on in the dimmest level, forcing you to cycle through modes to get to a brighter level, but the LD01 comes on in the middle level, which is just right for most uses and will run for about 2 hours, yet has a lower light level that runs for 24 hours or a brighter level that runs for about an hour.

I got the one with the stainless steel body and really like it a lot. It's too heavy for some folks, but the SS gives it a really solid feel and I know it will hold up to the kind of abuse my keyring typically gets. However, it's made in a lighter aluminum body as well.

I think you should probably also look at the small Klarus lights, as they seem to fit your requirements and should be readily available in the UK.

In any case, check out those review sites. The HJK site as a AAA comparison shootout between many different AAA lights with nice beamshots.

Oh, and learn how to use the Google Search box located in the upper left corner of most CPF pages. Leave it checked for "CPF Only" and it will bring up relevant CPF threads about lights you might be interested in.

Don't be in a hurry, spend some time reading here (and on those sites), and after a week or two you'll begin to get a better feel for which light/s will work best for YOU.

Have fun!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another vote for the Fenix LD01. I love mine!

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Sastasbulbas!

I own both the ITP A3 and the IlluminaTi, and run both on eneloops. At just over $20, I consider the ITP one of the great bargains to be had in LED lights. The IlluminaTi is slightly brighter on high, and sports somewhat higher build quality, but is also considerably more expensive. I've EDC'd the IlluminaTi for more than a year, and it has never failed me. Take a look at Selfbuilt's side by side comparison of the two lights, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either light.

m_luttermann

Newly Enlightened
if choosing an 123 battery light !!

I have the itp a1 ss and the quark mini 123 r5. They are both great lights. I use rcr123, so they get hot when running in max mode.

if you use a non rechargeable cr123 i would recommend the quark mini 123, it is much brighter. When using the rcr123 it`s the same.

the quark can tailstand, but if in a keyring it doesn`t matter. The price diff. is about 10 eu. so i think you should choose after battery type, according these two lights.

hope it helps.

Bass

Enlightened
Welcome Steve and now you have found CPF your wallet / bank balance will never be the same again :devil:

If budget is primary concern, then the ITP lights you link to will serve you well. Olight (who make the ITP lights BTW) have three similar models - i1, i2, and i3 that have the newest generation of CREE XM-L LEDs. You can get all of them from the dealer you linked to and are well priced.

My personal preference for keychain lights would be either Stainless Steel or Titanium - they wear better, have no anodising to chip off and look great. Who can resist Ti ?

The 4Sevens ReVo in SS, Klarus Mi X6 in SS or Ti and the Fenix LD01 in SS would suit your needs but are a bit more - £36 to £45

I'm sure you will get lots of great answers here and any of the above will do the job and make your Maglites redundant :)

Latest posts