JTICE REVIEWS - 4Sevens Quark X Series (2AA Tactical & 2x123 Normal)

jtice

Flashaholic
Here are my reviews of the two 4Sevens Quark X Series Lights.
http://jtice.com/review/lights/4sevens_quark_x123-2
http://jtice.com/review/lights/4sevens_quark_xaa-2
DSC02625-L.jpg

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Does the Quark X 2AA only come with a tactical switch, or can you get it with the regular switch?

Do you think the XM-L is an improvement over the XP-G?

Last edited:

LumaNaughty

Newly Enlightened
I would buy a new Quark "X" in a heart beat if they would fix the pre-flash. I still carry my Quark 123^2 XPG over most of my lights even though it has the pre-flash problem (blinded myself just last night :)).

I emailed their sales to ask the question:

>Sales: pre-flash on quark "x"?
>
>I am a member on CPF and there has been people asking if the Quark "X"
>models have eliminated the pre-flash?
>
>I know me and others would pick up the new models if the pre-flash has been
>fixed.
>
>Thank you...

Hi Brayn,

Thank you for the question.

The light is the same as the Regular Quarks.

We have not modified anything except the emitter.

Regards,

Simone

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Nice review. Does the Quark X 2AA only come with a tactical switch, or can you get it with the regular switch?

The Quarks with tactical interface comes with the tactical switch, the regular Quarks comes with the regular switch. It is possible to mount a tactical switch on a regular Quark.

Do you think the XM-L is an improvement over the XP-G?

I like the update.

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
:drool: 4Sevens :rock:
I was hopping they would do this! I Just bought one of the last available 123 2 S2 editions, now i have to get this to go with it (dang it I see a marital conflict brewing :ohgeez:)! In fact it might just replace it. I like how the tint is warmer than the slightly green S2. Also the moonlight is lower for the XM-L at .3lm whereas the .9lm for the S2 is slightly too bright, I think, with fully night-adapted vision (the R5 edition in contrast to both has a .2lm moonlight mode).
I bought the S2 over the R5 because I wanted longer run time (200lm for 2.8hr vs. 230lm for 1.8hr) and was willing to sacrifice a little output to get it. Now, though, between the max and high output on this 123 2 XM-L, I can get the best of both worlds in the same Quark configuration that I love (360lm for 1.7hr Max and a bright 160lm for 4hr High mode)!!
Though I will miss the 19/22lm medium mode of the S2/R5 models respectively since I like to cycle up the the lowest sufficient output for a task and was reassured by their 20hr run times, but a 65lm medium with 11hr runtime is also good, especially in trade off for the high and max set up on this thing! :thumbsup:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the S2 over the R5 because I wanted longer run time (200lm for 2.8hr vs. 230lm for 1.8hr) and was willing to sacrifice a little output to get it.
Can someone correct me, I assumed the runtime changes to the Quarks were only due to using the ANSI method (down to 10%) instead of the previous method (down to 50%).

Were there actual changes to the driver to give more runtime?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quarks with tactical interface comes with the tactical switch, the regular Quarks comes with the regular switch. It is possible to mount a tactical switch on a regular Quark.

I like the update.

Thank you

ryxlyx

Newly Enlightened
Well then you should be REALLY happy, as I am, that one review showed Medium at 34 lumens for 20 hours to 50%, and the other (no runtime) showed 29 lumens, assumably then also for roughly 20 hours. My biggest apprehension when ordering the X 1232 was the high level quoted for Medium-- concern alleviated--

jtice

Flashaholic
Sorry guys, wasnt getting any email notifications that there were replies here.
I think the XM-L is a nice improvement, maybe not enough to justify going and upgrading every one of your 4Sevens lights to, but still a nice step in the evolution.

Both the AA and 123 lights can be purchases in normal or tactical versions, these just happen to be the ones I was sent for review.
Over all I liked the Normal one better, but that all comes down to personal preference and use.
As far as the preflash, on the normal version, I am seeing a SLIGHT flicker once, before it lights up in the moonlight mode, but not a flash, nothing blinding or anything like that.
Its so slight, if no one pointed it out, you wouldnt even know its doing it.

Outdoor beamshots? Yea I need to get those done soon :(

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
Well then you should be REALLY happy, as I am, that one review showed Medium at 34 lumens for 20 hours to 50%, and the other (no runtime) showed 29 lumens, assumably then also for roughly 20 hours. My biggest apprehension when ordering the X 1232 was the high level quoted for Medium-- concern alleviated--

ryxlyx
thanks for that info! Can you post for me links? I haven't seen those reviews yet.
edit: I was talking about the 2x123 Quark X; I think you are talking about the 2xAA Quark X.

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
I am not sure what the brand of my 17670 cell is, its all blue, but it fits, BARELY. Its an air tight fit, it slowly slides in as it forces the air out of the body. lol
I had to take the head off to push it out with my finger, due to the air tight fit not letting it simply fall out.
But its not getting stuck, and the light seems to function just fine with it.
~John