What's the deal with tritium tubes?

bushidomosquito

Newly Enlightened
I need to get a few small tubes for a project I'm working on and I see them for sale from time to time so I hope they'll be available when I'm ready to buy but I'm just wondering. In reading some of the threads I've learned that the NRC has issues with them being imported into the U.S., people talk of them getting "confiscated" during shipping as if they were baggies of pot or something, and yet they are for sale and easily purchased if you know where to look. What's the deal? Are there licensed dealers or just people with the right connections? Where do companies like Meprolight and Ameriglo that use thousands get theirs? Why does this have to be such a regulatory PITA? Can anyone give me the backstory so I don't have to spend hours piecing it together?

thevinstigator

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking the exact same thing, I would love to have a few puit into my lights but don`t know who/where will do it for me. Love the look the give and function also. :grin2:

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
The original use for Tritium was as a stretcher to increase yield in atomic bombs. Althought the amounts used in consumer goods is minuscule the AEC rules dictate its ok in a finished product (sights, watches,ect). In vial form it is regulated. Just another BS out of date law. Merkava & Bart sell it over on CPFmaketplace. I have ordered with success over the years. My last order is MIA as of 8/8. Got to believe it is a Customs issue cuz both sellers are known to be reputable.

egrep

Enlightened
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part030/part030-0019.html

§ 30.19 Self-luminous products containing tritium, krypton-85, or promethium-147.

(a) Except for persons who manufacture, process, produce, or initially transfer for sale or distribution self-luminous products containing tritium, krypton-85, or promethium-147, and except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, any person is exempt from the requirements for a license set forth in section 81 of the Act and from the regulations in parts 20 and 30 through 36 and 39 of this chapter to the extent that such person receives, possesses, uses, transfers, owns, or acquires tritium, krypton-85, or promethium-147 in self-luminous products manufactured, processed, produced, or initially transferred in accordance with a specific license issued pursuant to § 32.22 of this chapter, which license authorizes the initial transfer of the product for use under this section.
(b) Any person who desires to manufacture, process, or produce self-luminous products containing tritium, krypton-85, or promethium-147, or to transfer such products for use pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section, should apply for a license pursuant to § 32.22 of this chapter, which license states that the product may be transferred by the licensee to persons exempt from the regulations pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section or equivalent regulations of an Agreement State.
(c) The exemption in paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to tritium, krypton-85, or promethium-147 used in products primarily for frivolous purposes or in toys or adornments.
[34 FR 9026, June 6, 1969, as amended at 40 FR 8785, Mar. 3, 1975; 43 FR 6921, Feb. 17, 1978; 52 FR 8241, Mar. 17, 1987; 58 FR 7736, Feb. 9, 1993]

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Golly gee I made a oversight/mistake the AEC formally known as the Atomic Energy Commission changed names to NRC... Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Guess that comes from being old. Don't tape any vials to Black Cat firecrackers or you might be labeled a "Terrorist".

bbb74

Enlightened
I tried to get some from Bart, posted to me in Aus for any Aussies on here. Never arrived, I presume picked up by customs or something. I've never had anything else disappear in the post before, apart from 2 things that turned up months late.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I ordered a sphere and a vial nearly a month back, got them in two weeks.

What is funny? When your trit goes through customs there is a chance it will never be seen again even in the DARK. We cheer your good fortune but lighting genie wasn't as kind to some of us. Would you mind sending us your luck, ordering secrets or are you just special?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I tried to get some from Bart, posted to me in Aus for any Aussies on here. Never arrived, I presume picked up by customs or something. I've never had anything else disappear in the post before, apart from 2 things that turned up months late.
I've received trits from several sources including Bart and never had a problem with bringing trits into Australia.

Norm

egrep

Enlightened
Despite the US regulations i've posted earlier on this thread I've had no problems receiving them from at least eight folks. Five of which were from non domestic sources. Of the three US sources, two obtained them from the same foreign sources I have. I've heard of people not receiving various packages tritium or not. I'm sure some was seized in customs, some stolen, some never sent. I'm just special I guess.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Despite the US regulations i've posted earlier on this thread I've had no problems receiving them from at least eight folks. Five of which were from non domestic sources. Of the three US sources, two obtained them from the same foreign sources I have. I've heard of people not receiving various packages tritium or not. I'm sure some was seized in customs, some stolen, some never sent. I'm just special I guess.

With out being "Mr Google Cut & Paste" if you were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for trading in unlicensed radioactive gasses in the USA how much is the maximum Federal penal time and fine?

BD13

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks I am a new-bee and not great at chat/ form and so on, but wanted to ask a question as I have 3 or 4 night sight equiped items that are losing glow fast so! I do not want to purchase all new sights and would love to find replacement inserts and hope someone would be kind enough to tell me of any place where I can get them from this it seems there are issues with getting them delivered? sorry I apologize for getting into this conversation without anything more than a added question. thanks all help is appreciated.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
With out being "Mr Google Cut & Paste" if you were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for trading in unlicensed radioactive gasses in the USA how much is the maximum Federal penal time and fine?

I thought about calling the NRC and asking them, but am not certain it is a good idea.

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I know some CONUS sellers have had visits from local agents. No further punitive action was taken.

Craig

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I frequently am "Mr. Google Cut & Paste," and in a kind, helpful fashion, often answer others members questions by doing just that.

Prior to posting, I did try googling it, but did not find any direct descriptions about penalties incurred for the sale of small quantities of tritium, or references to the particular piece of canon where penalties are described.

Had I found the answer by a simple google search, I would have posted it here for the benefit of the community, and not asked the question. There are members on this forum from all walks of life and many professional occupations, and it is out of respect and appreciation for their wisdom that I posted.

There is a similar thread here where a similar question has been asked, but, as with here, it is lacking in a concrete answer.

Link

Last edited: