Why Quality Matters

Dadof6

Enlightened
This past weekend my wife was heading to the beach with some girls from church to camp for a night. She asked me for a light and I racked my brain thinking of a good light that would also have a fairly simple interface. I finally decided on the Nitecore EX10 . . .simple but powerful. That night she calls me and tells me that the light is broken and isn't even screwing together. "Impossible" I say to myself, thinking how can you not get it screwed back on. When she returned I looked at the light so I could fix it because she obviously had no idea about lights. I quickly found the problem . . . the head broke completely off. I'm talking complete aluminum break all around the head. My wife is a runner not a weight lifter and I'm frankly shocked that the Nitecore would break in such a fashion. I have nitecores to give as gifts. Can I trust them?

So, when my daughter who on Tuesday left for college, asked for a light I racked my brain again thinking of a simple light that wouldn't break. The result, she now owns a AA Brass Peak. It isn't the brightest light in the arsenal but it will give her light when she needs it. I'd rather have a simple working light than a fancy broken one.

nicodimus22

Newly Enlightened
Along the same lines of thought is "the best light is the one you have with you" when unexpected things happen. This is why so many people are fans of the Fenix E01. It's not going to light up the woods, but you can easily have it with you at all times on your keys, so it's likely to be the light that may actually save you in a sudden emergency. To your point, it's also more or less bulletproof.

saypat

Enlightened

Just purchased my Nitecore EX 11.2 the other day, and I have to read this?
:eek:

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
No manufacturer will ever have a 100% perfect record. I guess you got a duff one?

ragweed

Enlightened
I have read on here that Nitecore is prone to this happening. I will not buy their products. Their are many good reviews on lights here & you can do a search and find out what works for you. I have camped with the E01, Gerber Infinity & the E05. I liked the E05 best of all..!

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
Funny thing. Just ordered a SS Eiger QTC to replace my old E01 that i gave to a friend (that light was amazingly tough). My other EDC is a NiteCore EZAA R2. Both of those lights have been 100% reliable being carried in my pocket for over a year.

The Peak should be on a different level entirely in terms of build quality, i'm eagerly awaiting it.

BBL

Enlightened
And, how did the mentioned light break? Did i get this right, the body broke apart?

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty stuck on surefire lights i have a m961 that i droped on concrete and busted the lense still worked

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EX10 breaking at the head is not new at all. Many have encountered this issue and it would usually break at the thread. I thought Nitecore would have fixed this problem by now but it seems to still be happening. That's another reason why I am not buying anymore Nitecore lights following one disappointment after another.

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean "by now"? No one in this thread mentioned one of the newer models breaking.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean "by now"? No one in this thread mentioned one of the newer models breaking.
Maybe the definition I used was wrong. What I meant is that this issue only seemed prevalent in the limited run EX10 with GDP emitters and any EX10 made before that. Read somewhere that Nitecore had fixed this issue after the GDP edition but it is still happening.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe the age of the light was ever mentioned. This very well may be an older model.

Personally I have an older EX-10 and the only times it won't light, are when the battery is shot. I EDC'd it for about a year, while working as a contractor. Needless to say, it has taken some abuse, and survived.

Dadof6

Enlightened
Somebody asked how she broke the light. She broke it by twisting the head onto the body. And let me say that I loved this light and thought it was a tough little hombre. I was seriously shocked that it came back broken.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
mil spec lights are darn nearly indestructible. there are videos in youtube of torture tests and what not, but expect to pay top dollar for these lights.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
How old was the light ?

As has been said, this did happen with some very early Nitecores, but was long since fixed. The EX10 hasn't been produced for sometime now, so is it possible that this was an older light or a second-hand purchase ?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As has already been pointed out, this is not something new. Although it is more than a bit surprising that it is happening with recently-made Nitecore flashlights.

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
Why do people keep assuming this is a newer light? It's two models behind and though there have been a few other issues with the current crop, I have yet to hear of any of the new ones splitting

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do people keep assuming this is a newer light? It's two models behind and though there have been a few other issues with the current crop, I have yet to hear of any of the new ones splitting

We may have been wrong about when the light was bought but let's face it, Nitecore has one of the worst QC you can find. Used to be my favorite brand after Surefire but they have been going down the ladder ever since their success with both the D10 and EX10. I have been bugged with nothing but problems in all my latest purchases (IFE series, D11.2, EX11.2...) and that is enough to keep me out of their brand for good. So even if we were to get the date of manufacture right regarding the OP's light, it is not going to change the fact that Nitecore is problematic as a whole.

Edit to add: And let's not forget, Nitecore isn't exactly a cheap light to buy and considering everything is made in China with one of the lowest costs in the manufacturing industries one could find, so I expect perfection.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I had an EX10 for a bit and had no problems, but you have to admit, lights snapping in half is an embarrassingly large manufacturing flaw. This isn't an emitter 1 mm off center - the light broke in half! I doubt dadof6 even considered the possibility of this happening when he handed off the light, and I think it's reasonable to be disappointed in the manufacturer and the level of quality in that particular model.

The design was nice, I'm glad to hear they have since fixed it. Are they replacing the defective lights?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
EX10's breaking in half is no news. However I can see why, their walls are so thin, that's why it is so light. It is a compromise and combined with a small manufacturing fault meant a catastrophic disaster.