JETBEAM ST CYCLER XM-L T6 - Cycle and Outdoor flashlight

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
The ST CYCLER is Jetbeam's new dual purpose cycling lamp.
Its looks will be familiar to Jetbeam enthusiasts as the well proven and liked Jetbeam III PRO ST body shape has been used.
That said, this is a totally new light using a XM-L T6 LED and a new interface designed for cycling and outdoor sports.

CYCLER%20SNAP.jpg

CYCLER1.jpg

What's in the box
Usual accessory pack which includes an olive drab lanyard, two replacement O-rings and a tail cap switch boot. A Jetbeam registration card with unit serial number was also included as an instruction booklet in my review sample.

CYCLER3.jpg

CYCLER5.jpg

Initial overview
The light is compact (121mm - 25.4mm OD), streamline and fits comfortably into the palm of your hand as well as creating very little drag once fitted to your cycle helmet or handle bar. The light body (70 gr) comes in the typical Jetbeam dark grey colour with HA III military grade hard anodized finish. It has a low profile but effective antiroll design as well as tail stand capability. Both will be well appreciated during your camping trips. The body and tail cap knurling is not overly aggressive but helps in giving you a positive grip. The clicky rear switch is easily accessible and the tail cap has lanyard attachment slots.

CYCLER6.jpg

CYCLER%20BD.jpg

CYCLER%20DETAIL1.jpg

CYCLER%20HC.jpg

Manufacturer Data
LED: CREE XM-L T6
Reflector: Aluminium reflector
Lens: Coated mineral glass
Material: Aero grade aluminium alloy
Finish: HA III Military grade hard anodized
Battery: CR123*2 or 18650 Li-ion*1
Dimensions: Tube diameter 25.4mm; total length 121mm
Weight: 70g (without battery)
Waterproof: IPX-8 standard waterproof
Accessories: Lanyard, spare rubber tailcap switch cover, spare O-ring

· Adopt premium CREE XM-L LED
· Maximum output of up to 425 lumens
· Maximum runtime of 1 hour 30 minutes
· Rapidly switch between Outdoor mode and Cycling mode
· Special designed user interface for cycling and outdoor activities
· Customized flood-type reflector produces a wide range of spill beam
· Compatible with both CR123 and 18650 Li-ion rechargeable batteries
· Built-in over-discharge protection circuit for 18650 Li-ion rechargeable battery

Settings

jetbeamdata.jpg

Jetbeam has created two totally separate mode platforms activated by tightening or loosening the head. Within these modes you have separate settings giving you an overall total of seven different light settings.
The first mode level or outdoor mode is obtainable via fully tightening the head then using the rear clicky switch to select your desired setting.
This mode level has a memory, so any mode selected will be held in the memory and activated next time you switch your light on.
Within this mode four different settings are obtainable:
The first one is turbo with a 425 lumen output. This will be used by mountain bike cyclists on downhill or technical fast trail riding where a lot of light is required.
The second setting (high) is a very respectable 190 lumen with a long run time of 3.5 hours. This will be favoured by many who want a decent output with an extended runtime and, again, will used by MTB'ers, road cyclists as well as campers, dog walkers, cave explorers etc.
The third setting (medium) is giving you 50 lumens and a run time of 14hours. This has well is also ideal as a marker light for cycling.
The last setting is the strobe light, which is very common with all Chinese built lights. This, I am sure, will be the least used of all the different settings, but could perhaps be used to deter an assailant.
The second mode level or cycling mode is obtainable via loosening the head about one-eighth of a turn.

The first setting is a low 10 lumen. This has an incredible run time of 45 hours and may be used as a marker light for cycling but I personally think that this is better suited around a campsite for tasks where not much light is required.
The second one is a slow but very powerful flash (425 lumens) ideal for cyclists in urban areas where it is more important to be seen than to see in front of your wheel. Due to its high power flash output, this can be used effectively during day light.
The third setting is an innovative warning light setting with a powerful 270 lumens combined with an inbuilt slow pulse. This gives you the best of both worlds in that it is a riding light with a warning device built in to it. The light pulsation is quite discreet and will not interfere with your normal riding night vision.
The two settings above are designed for general road cycling and are safety modes, this can be seen in my mini video clips
The last setting is an SOS mode. Hopefully this will never be required, but it is reassuring to know that in an emergency you can use your light as an SOS beacon for rescuers to locate you.
I think Jetbeam have made a very good choice by not giving a memory to its secondary mode and of placing its low light (10 lumens) as their first light setting.
With the head is in the unlock position, you are guaranteed to have an eyesight friendly output when the light is turned on. This is especially important if, for example, you need to get up in the middle of the night as you do not get blinded as soon as you switch it on.
All settings are easily obtainable by simply half pressing the rear click switch when the light is on. The two different mode levels are obtainable by slightly screwing or unscrewing the head.

More clever stuff
The ST CYCLER has a purpose designed new reflector designed for cycling and other outdoor activity giving you a fairly large bright central
area as well as good peripheral lighting.
This is ideal for mountain bike trail riding where a combination of the two is required.

ST_CYCLER_En5.jpg

White ceiling, turbo beam, photo taken at 44 inches from the ceilling

CYCLERbeam.jpg

Rain will not be a problem as the ST CYCLER is submersible up to two meters and complies with IPX-8 waterproof standard .
The light is also fitted with the double spring system which should absorb shocks and always gives a good battery connection. It is rated at 1.5m impact resistant
and has a built in over discharge system for 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries. This will give you a blinking warning when the battery is nearly flat (for me this is another safety factor because by giving you prior warning you are able to switch to the 10 lumen low mode to give you more run time).
(Note this system does not work with some of my cheaper rechargeable batteries, this is obviously a battery problem)
The light can also run on two CR-123. There is no voltage data in the instruction manual, but I have contacted Jetbeam and I have been informed that the light will take up to 9V ie two CR127 rechargeable (total of 8.4V)

MTB riding with the ST CYCLER
This has been tested during a night ride in Friston Forest in the UK. The light was powered by a 2400mAh AW rechargeable battery. During the night ride, the light was positioned on my handlebar. I used the various settings on forest trails and was able to ride safely and happily with the turbo, high and warning lighting when going downhill. The medium setting gave me just enough light on the wide uphill fire track. For its relatively small size, the ST CYCLER gives a large bright beam with a very respectable throw in the turbo mode. I was also using my old, faithful Jetbeam III PRO ST BVC which has a more narrow and far reaching beam, ideal to see around corners. The ST CYCLER was used for over an hour on the turbo setting without any noticeable loss of brightness during that time.

CYCLER%20HELMET1.jpg

Photo of the ST CYCLER mounted on my "lid". This light is well suited as an handlebar or helmet light

Home test
A while back I made a DIY integration sphere that I now use to take my LUX readings. This allows me to make fairly accurate comparisons between my various light outputs and run times. On a year and half old AW 18650 2600mAh flat top battery, in the turbo setting I got a constant 40000lux for one hour, then a drop of only 15% in the next 30 minutes (34000lux) and the low battery warning was activated after 1 hour and 49 minutes showing at the time 17500 lux. For an XM-L led, I believe this is the best regulated 18650 light that I have used so far and is certainly well suited for cycling.

turbograph.jpg

Done more runtime test on turbo, this time with an Int-outdoor, Panasonic 3100mAh battery, very different output than with the AW!
The fan was switched on at 8mn, note the increase in lux , for the Panasonic from In-Outdoor a constant output for 55mn then a very gradual decline, very different discharge line from the AW. By 2hours 25mn the low voltage system was activated as the ST Cycler started to flash. The light was switch off not to discharge the battery to much.
So with the Panasonic 3100mah, a much longer run time but with a lesser output, just shows how much difference a battery makes on output and run time of a flash light.
20/01/2013
GRAPH2.jpg

Please note the lumen is a measure of the total "amount" of visible light in some defined light beam.
The Lux indicates the intensity of light at a given point which can be easily measured by a light meter. Figures given have been taken out of a home made light box

Indoor and outdoor beam shots

Please note data given below are from the manufacturer

425lumens, Outdoor mode turbo - 1h30mn
ID4251.jpg

270lumens, Cycling mode warning lighting - 2h
ID2701.jpg

190lumens, Outdoor mode high - 3h30mn
ID1901.jpg

50lumens, Outdoor mode medium - 14h
ID501.jpg

10lumens, Cycling mode low - 45h
ID101.jpg

My back garden
gardenday1.jpg

425lumens, Outdoor mode turbo - 1h30mn
OD4251.jpg

270lumens, Cycling mode warning lighting - 2h
OD2701.jpg

190lumens, Outdoor mode high - 3h30mn
OD1901.jpg

50lumens, Outdoor mode medium - 14h
OD501.jpg

10lumens, Cycling mode low - 45h
OD101.jpg

For/Against
For: Multi purpose cycling light :thumbsup:, which can be used has a normal flash light once off of your bike. Very compact and slimline. A good choice of LED with a well designed and easy to use interface as well as a good multi level of brightness and setting. Good runtime, steady output and cycling warning feature. Can tail stand.

Against: so far, nothing really except that I am not that keen on the strobe light setting, although this is my personal opinion.

This is a well designed cycle light, giving you a choice of
high power output, long run time and safety high power flash.
The ST CYCLER will certainly help you to stay safe on the road or on forest trails.

I am sure a lot of you would love to see the difference in beam
from the Cycler and the ST PRO BVC
So here it is!

CYCLER%20AND%20BVC.jpg

The beams are in front of a brown wall so that they can stand out clearly!
ST CYCLER on the left.

This sample was kindly send by jet-beam.com

I hope you enjoy it
Skyraider59:wave:
Jetbeam ST CYCLER, III ST PRO BVC, BK135A; Nitecore EZ-AA; Solarforce M6, L2, L2P, L2R, L2M, L2i; Zebralight H50, H60, Dereelight CL-1H

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light! I could easily see using this as a helmet light as you've shown, above.

dunna

Newly Enlightened
I have already fallen in love with this light. I wish they could have used a frog-eye reflector to make it a perfect flashlight that could be used both as a thrower as well as a floody.

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering how long it would take someone to market these little lights as bike lights. I've been looking at many variations in tis formfactor and the one thing this one has over most is the slow strobe. I'm using a 16-mode driver for a few specialty flash modes.

I will concur that the constant modes at 190 and 425 lumens are well determined for bikes. SOS though?

In mine, I also opted for a constant on at 350ma... ~120 lumens to which any other mode can be added on top of. I find myself riding at 120 lumens with a 400 lumen beacon very 10 seconds most of the time.

I would really like to see the thermal performance at 1-1/2 hours at 425 lumens... I don't think that would be wise for the light or the helmet.

DSCN4400.JPG

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really like to see the thermal performance at 1-1/2 hours at 425 lumens... I don't think that would be wise for the light or the helmet.

I would imagine that a light like this would run a bit toward the hot side if run in turbo mode for extended periods...but then again, air cooling while riding should help keep the temperature to a moderate level, I'd think. Just guessing to some degree, of course -- but based on experience with some other flashlights when using them on a bike. How do you guys who are using them feel about the heat while riding with some air cooling going on?

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened
These lights have 2 drawbacks to thermal issues... lack of themal mass and lack of surface area. On the plus side, the use case makes the ambient temps more reasonable. Still, even at 270 lumens (assume about 3 watts), this thing will get warmer than one will comfortably hold after a short period of time. The skin on helmets is a very thin thermal vacuum formed plastic shell over styrofoam. Notice I use a 6mm Foamy pad under my light for this very reason.
Funny how our hands are very effective heat sinks for small powerful flashlights.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The closest thing I've got to this is the ZebraLight SC600. It's got about 25 percent more weight (without battery) than the Jetbeam ST Cycler, but I know when run at its highest setting, the SC600 gets to the uncomfortable side for holding in hand (it's a subjective thing when we describe "warm" or "hot" without specific measurements, and we each have different feel for such things). But still, with flashlight bodies so small and light with such power and intensity a fairly significant heat buildup seems inevitable. But I do notice that air flow when riding seems to help a lot in keeping the flashlight temperature down in most cases.

On my helmets, I tend to use a TwoFish lockblock or bikeblock to hold the flashlight (depending on the helmet's bridge configuration)...or something very similar in the Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers from DealExtreme. Granted, those types of mounts stick up a bit, but they keep the helmet light away from the helmet.

If I were to try the Jetbeam ST Cycler, this is probably how I'd be mounting it, too (mostly because I keep several of these on hand).

110828-006.jpg

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
HI, regarding heat,
from my experience with two MTB night rides using the ST CYCLER, I did not get any heat issue, I switch the turbo setting mainly for down hill trail riding when you need the light and when we stop for a few minutes to regroup, I mainly turn it off or to the medium setting.
I did not time how long I had the turbo on this evening, but I recon I got a good 1h30mn; running it about 20mn at a times. About 10mn away from our cars the low battery mode started flashing, I turn it down to high setting and got back to the cars with still plenty of light. Interest to note that the low battery circuit is working fine with my AW 2600mAh, but did not work with a Solarforce battery during one of my test, the light did stop without prior warning.

Now the turbo mode if held in hand will get pretty hot quickly and I did my run time test with the light in front of a fan!
I was ridding this evening with the ST CYCLER on my bar and the ST PRO BVC on my lid, will have to do a swap next time!
For most of this week we had rain and fog here in Sussex UK and I have been commuting to work with the light in flash mode. 425lumens flash do attract drivers attention!
I do like it, there is similar flaslights using the XM-L T6 on the market, but for any one who do cycle especially road cycling or commuting as well as MTB, I think the ST CYCLER has the edge because of its cycling friendly interface and modes as well good run times:thumbsup:
I have been trying to do some filming of the rides I have done with the ST CYCLER, but I am struggling getting my camera stable enough for you to see without being sick due to heavy vibration and movement!:sssh: I need tro make myself a good chest rig!

Best
Skyraider 59

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good information, Skyraider59. One more question, though: I realize this will vary night to night, but in general what kind of outdoor temperature range do you think you have been riding in while using the ST Cycler?

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened
Try a helmet mount cam and cinch down your straps. I've never had good luck filming night. I'd love to see it though.

One plus I definitely see is that it is an easy EDC compared to P60 or larger hosts. This way a commuter can just pocket the light so it doesn't "walk off" on its own.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Good information, Skyraider59. One more question, though: I realize this will vary night to night, but in general what kind of outdoor temperature range do you think you have been riding in while using the ST Cycler?
Hi
on both occasions I think, this was kind of around 15/16 degree celcius (60 farenheit), I did play a few time with changing from outdoor mode to cycling modes (ie rotating the head) and I was wearing fingerless glove at the time and do not recall the light being overly warm.
Will have to pay more attention on my next ride!
I have done many rides (South of England) with Solarforce L2p MCE, XML ,R2, R5 but heat never has been a real issue (the MCE does get hotter than the others) I think the constant airflow works very well and I do switch off every time we stop, mainly to preserve the batteries.

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing some youtube vids on the ST Cycler and one showed some of the special cycling modes.
Interesting enough is the constant light with the 1Hz strobe on top of it.
That is the same as the latest mod I did on a recent driver by bypassing the gate on one AMC7135.
I've been riding at night with this driver using a 10 second beacon mode on top of a 350ma solid light and I find it very useful.
Are there other dedicated cycling lights that have this mode for forward facing lights?
What exactly are the special cycling modes? I saw a 1hz flash mode and this hybrid mode... what else?

edit: Never mind on the explanation of the modes. I just read your thread updates. Thanks!

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Try a helmet mount cam and cinch down your straps. I've never had good luck filming night. I'd love to see it though.

One plus I definitely see is that it is an easy EDC compared to P60 or larger hosts. This way a commuter can just pocket the light so it doesn't "walk off" on its own.

I have tried a HD 108O in the size and chape of a small flashlight, work good in day light but is to grainy at night. I have found that mthe best result is with my Canon compact camera, but unfortunatly it is heavy, Friday night I used it on a small plastic tripod attached to my bars, but withing minutes the plastic tripod fitting snapped in half due to vibrations, I did have a wrist strap attached to the camera and bars, so luckely it survived! A week last Friday I did have the camera strapped on to a shoulder bag, this was ok but the camera was pointing toward the ground most of the time due to its weight! I will upload some of the bit where you can see a bit of the beam to youtube this weekend and will post it.
Regarding it size, this is a very user friendly flashlight and take very little space in a backpack or your trousers pocket and I did like very much the original ST PRO BVC for the same reason, its size versus output.

I think it is ideal for commuters or road cycling (I have been using the flash mode during my daily commute), for forest rides you need a couple or to twin it with the ST PRO BVC or other similar flash lights.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Yes the videos are mine, they have now been uploaded in the main body of my review above, There is also a few more photos of ST CYCLER on my website select-reviews.co.uk
Regarding the dedicated cycle modes, there is only two: the slow flash and the constant light with the flash. I have uploaded a small video of some of one of our ride, sorry about the brake noise!
PLEASE NOTE THIS VIDEO WAS MADE IN POOR WEATHER CONDITION, IE "SEA MIST", THE SPILL OF THE ST CYCLER IS A LOT WIDER IN NORMAL CONDITIONS, AS SOON AS AN OTHER "CYCLE RIDE WITH THE JETBEAM" VIDEO IS MADE, I WILL UPLOAD IT.

Last edited:

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. That is a lot less spill than I would have thought... at least in broadness of the cone. It also looks like a light like this may benefit using a movable reflector so that one could choose the broadness of the hotspot, or even the intensity of the beam. It looks like the dew of the night is reflecting back significant light at that intensity and the focused beam or it could just be the the filming at night. Personally I am dreading the fog and dew season soon to come to our parts. It will mess with all my lighting choices. Oh well... back to the drawing board, the shop, and more parts orders :)

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. That is a lot less spill than I would have thought... at least in broadness of the cone. It also looks like a light like this may benefit using a movable reflector so that one could choose the broadness of the hotspot, or even the intensity of the beam. It looks like the dew of the night is reflecting back significant light at that intensity and the focused beam or it could just be the the filming at night. Personally I am dreading the fog and dew season soon to come to our parts. It will mess with all my lighting choices. Oh well... back to the drawing board, the shop, and more parts orders :)

How very observant, we are on the English coast, and on that specific night I did that small video, we had sea mist, every thing was covered with dew and as you say, you can see it in the beam. Must say that the light penetration was not good on that day and the visibilty in places was poor, the spill in normal condition is wider, have a look at the photos taken in my back garden or the small video of the warning features. the flash mode is 425lumens, so this should give you an idea of the beam. As mentionned earlier, we do ride most Friday night, so will I try to find a good evening to do more filming. Rainning today so no chance for more photos! I will mention the weather condition in the review as this is not an accurate representation of the beam in normal condition.
Best

I will n

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened
True, I find it very hard to get a good perception with night time videography to show exactly what our eyes can see.
Whenever I try filming at night I loose all the spill which really makes it hard to provide a well informed presemtation.

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info on this light, I've decide to go ahead and purchase one. Could the people from the UK tell me where they got theirs from? I can only seem to find one place and they are £70, does this sound reasonable?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to ask if anyone knew where to get AW 18650 batteries from also? all I can find is those Blue unknown make versions!

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jason Best batteries to use in the ST CYCLER is the AWs, got myself the flattop 2600mAh, best run time were achieved with it. I have bought them in the past from flashaholics.co.uk, they offer a very good and fast service. They are more money, but you get a better run time.