I want *a* new flashlight, but my specifications are horriblly unclear

mmace1

Enlightened
As a CPF person - I want to buy a new light. That said...what do I want, I don't know. For anyone with enough patience, here's what I have/why

Fenix E05 - could carry always, very small (smaller than most 1xAAA - so I like it, as it's clearly more convenient than the smallest 1xAA it competes with, also like the purely diffused beam).

Quark mini 2xAA - good for travel. Overall about a small as most 1xAA lights, yet greater capacity. 3 good levels (reading/close work...then...I need more runtime than high...then general brightness). Fulfills my general around-house light well too. 3 lumens in great for that. Love how much spill it has. I Quark 2xAA regular doesn't seem better enough to purchase.

Fenix TK41 - just for my I-want-bright-for-fun. The throw is great. And if I want diffuse (hiking), scotch tape and 15 seconds later, I have the floodiest light I've ever seen in person or in beamshots.

I've considered other lights...4sevens Revo - but I don't like the loss of spill vs. the E05 (could care less about throw in a AAA light). Considered a proper Quark 2xAA...but seem less efficient than the mini and anyway...the mini works great at the time. Considered a Zebralight SC600...*would* require new battery charger but it's neat...that said...compared to a scotch-taped TK41 - TK41 has better output/runtime on all levels. Less choice of levels, but I'm happy with TK41 levels. The Zebralight wins for efficiency - so small, but I don't care. TK41 is small enough for the only times I use it - hiking.

I've strongly considered the ones I mentioned (Revo, Quark 2xAA, and Zebralight SC600).

Any recommendations? Very fair if not! I want *a* new light...but can't think of any reason why...and I don't enjoy them unless they fill a good niche, oddly enough.

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Muyshondt Aeon.

Small, great build quality and design, two light levels and insane run times.

Uses one CR2 battery.

Sits unnoticed in a pocket or around my neck on a cord until needed, my perfect backup light that for some reason usually gets used first.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a headlamp??

When I started buying quality flashlights several years ago I didn't care anything about headlamps, but that changed as I've gotten familiar with what's available. One of my most favorite & most used lights is my Zebralight H51. I also have a H51w (neutral tint) and a H501w (all flood neutral tint) which I use some, but the H51 is incredibly useful & I use it the most. I go trail running before the sun comes up, and it's my primary light for that (used in a NiteIze head band so it won't bounce around.) For camping & hiking there is just no substitute for having a good headlight. When camping I put my H51 on the same headband as my H501w so I can have both a throwy headlight & a floody headlight. For power outages there is, again, no substitute for having a headlamp & being hands-free. When using a headlamp around the campsite or around the house I usually pull the light down around my neck. The ZL's are perfect for this cause the light is still facing forward....very comfortable this way.

Check out all of the headlamps by ZL. I feel the H51 & the H501 are "must-have" lights (either in the cool white or the neutral tint versions.) ZL is just about to come out with the H600 headlamp (this month) which has the XM-L LED in it and uses a single 18650 Li-ion rechargeable only. The H51 produces 200 lumens which is plenty, but this H600 produces 750/500 lumens....whoa.

Zebras have my favorite UI, and in a headlamp they're hard to beat.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
The Sunwayman V10R in either Alu or Ti. With the Ti AA extender you have two battery size choices and the UI is fantastic. My Ti version is my main EDC at the moment.

AaronG

Enlightened
I have similar lights to you and I would vote for either a Sunwayman V series or Zebralight headlamp.

For a sunwayman I'd get a V10R Ti for wow factor or a V10A for regular EDC. I find the variable output very pleasant to use and the very low low is good for around the house at night.

I see a headlamp as more of a tool than a toy so I find it hard to get excited about buying one, but I use my H51F at work more than anything else.

(I currently own Fenix LD10, E05, 4sevens Revo SS, solarforce L2P with XML drop-in, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Zebralight H51F)

Last edited: