Does any one have the 12 Million CP Maxabeam?

Huron

Newly Enlightened
I want the longest "throw" distance available. Some years I purchased a 7.5 Million CP Maxabeam - an incredible light 6 years ago.

Does anyone have the new 12MM CP model? Are they still the best for throw distance or is there something better out there? If so, I haven't found it yet.

Would appreciate any updates or recommendations. Thanks in advance.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
I think the maxabeam will still have the longest throw, the only other light i can think of is the 175w Megaray at 11million candlepower which may not throw as far but will throw a greater amount of light at the target which may be useful.
http://www.megaray.com/mr175.html

There are a few custom lights made on this forum which will be able to beat the maxabeam in throw, here is a list of the forum tested candlepower for various lights
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ated-Short-Arc-amp-HID-spotlight-Lux-readings

The big light thread has an assortment of highpowered custom lights and tank lights VSS-1 and 1kw VSS-3, the MaxaBlaster 50mil CP+
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?198582-The-BIG-Lights

Hope that helps you out on your quest to find the light you are looking for, may your wallet forgive you :).

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Huron,

I have (among my lights..) a Maxabeam that has 13.5 Mcp output. No matter if you have the 6Mcp or 12Mcp version, on throw, it still is the most powerfull,
commercally aviable light on this world. 6Mcp vs 12Mcp seems like a big difference, its not! Why: 1:Throw follows the reverse square law of light.
And 2: The sensitivity of our eyes is a logarithmic curve.
In theory, 12Mcp throws 40% further than 6Mcp, but as more distant objects are harder to see, the actual (aparent) throw gain will be less. And this only works
on objects with exact the same reflectivity characteristics. So in short: When standing in the field with a 6Mcp and a 12Mcp Maxabeam, the difference will
not be as obvious as the numbers would suggest.

Regards,

Ra.

Huron

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to the Illuminated One and Ra for your input. I will stick with my old Maxabeam for now and watch for new developments down the road.

BVH

Flashaholic
I've got 2 Gen2's. I sent both of them to PeakBeam. They both needed handles installed and I had them upgrade one with a Gen3 board and the enhanced reflector. I used a new PeakBeam spherical bulb but am told it is not the newest spec bulb. So in essence, I have a Gen2 and gen3 MB which I will take some long distance beamshots of when the weather gets better. Too much moisture in the air just about every night for months.

As measured by PeakBeam,

Gen3 upgraded light: 11,900,000 CP. (When PB tried the latest lamp in the Gen3 upgraded light, they got 12,800,000 CP)
Gen2, .......................7,400,000 CP.

magicmanchris

Newly Enlightened
I have a brand new one that was only used for about 2 hours for sale at the market place. A GREAT DEAL TO BE HAD!

Parker VH

Enlightened
Thanks to the Illuminated One and Ra for your input. I will stick with my old Maxabeam for now and watch for new developments down the road.

You could always send it in to Peakbeam and have the enhanced reflector upgrade done. That's what I did with my Gen.2

xul

Enlightened
And Maxabeam answers my e-mail! See if that works with Harbor Freight. . .:(

12,000,000 cp +/- 10%, using a 1 degree beam and a target at 83'
0.98 lux at 3500 meters,, 3 lux at 2000 meters
1 degree spot to 40 degree flood
10 to 13.5 v, 8.5 to 9.3 A

Now it'd be good if my spreadsheet answers correspond to these specs. :)

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, you cannot discount the benefit of PeakBeam's support and service. They have a lot of lights out there being used by military, Hollywood, and many other sources that all need their service, parts, and support--and get it!!!

xul

Enlightened
My spreadsheet reads 9 Million CP for what should be 12 MCP using their special 2160 lumens 90 W bulb. That may be close for this kind of calculation, but the calc'd lux vs. distance is very accurate.

I still can't believe how helpful these guys are.

GrahamDavies

Newly Enlightened
We use our 10 year old lights up to 55km (33 miles) in broad daylight and can photograph the result, best lights in the world :)Doh TEN YEAR OLD

Parker VH

Enlightened
For anyone interested, I just listed two Maxa Beam lights for sale in the Marketplace.