Review of Balder BD-4 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Balder BD-4[/size]

DSC_9048.jpg

DSC_9233.jpg
DSC_9234.jpg

Balder is a new name in flashlights, their first series of lights contains 3 lights BD-1, BD-2 and BD-4, in this review I am looking at and testing the BD-4. The light has 3 brightness settings that is controlled with a tail switch, the light has a hidden mode that also contains sos and strobe.

DSC_9046.jpg

The light arrived in a plastic tube without any markings on it.

DSC_9047.jpg

The tube only contained the light and a instruction sheet, no extra o-rings, lanyard.

DSC_9049.jpg
DSC_9051.jpg
DSC_9053.jpg

The light has a LOP (Light Orange peel) reflector with a XM-L led at the bottom.

DSC_9074.jpg

A closer look at the led.

DSC_9054.jpg

The head has a very unusual design, it includes the typical cooling fins. The crenellation on the back of the head is a bit sharp, I would have like more round corners.

DSC_9066.jpg

The battery connection in the head is a spring and it is mounted recessed. This means that if a shock is to large for the spring the metal around the spring will stop the batteries, not the circuit board where the spring is mounted.

DSC_9065.jpg
DSC_9070.jpg

Both front and back threads are not anodized, this means no lockout function. The threads are good quality with little play. There is also a o-rings to keep the light sealed.

DSC_9069.jpg

The front end of the battery tube is very thick, the rest of the battery tube is not as thick, but still very solid.

DSC_9055.jpg

There is no knurling on the light, instead it has some groves on the body.

DSC_9059.jpg
DSC_9072.jpg

The tailcap has a recessed switch, i.e. it can tail stand, but due to the size of the light it is not very stable. The switch is a reverse switch with very short movement and a distinct click. The four points on the tailcap are a bit sharp and one of them has a hole for a lanyard. The tailcap has the usual spring for the minus connection.

UserInterface.png

The light has two different user interfaces. To change between them select low mode and wait until the light flashes once, then half press the switch and user interface is changed.
To move between the different modes, just half press the switch when the light is on. The light will remember the last selected mode.

DSC_9073.jpg

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

This light feels like a solid construction, but I do not like the sharp corners on the light. The light has a very good stabilization and the step down and battery warning is a nice features.
All in all I believe this to be a good light and a decent thrower.

[size=+3]Technical specification and measurements[/size]

DSC_9076.jpg

The light can only be used with 18650 batteries, there is no support for 4xCR123.

Measured size and weight:
Length: 261 mm
Diameter: 26 mm to 60 mm
Weight: 499 with AW18650-26

The light uses a Cree XM-L U2 led.

Measurements.png

In the above table I have collected all modes, measured at 7.4 volt. All the estimated runtimes are with 2600mAh LiIon batteries. The estimated lumen is scale from the specified maximum. The brightness is a relative measurement from a lux meter.

Balder%20BD-4%20High.png

A voltage sweep at high shows a good stabilization that works down to 6.6 volt where the light changes to medium mode. At about 5.7 volt (2.85 per battery) the light will start its warning about low battery. It will not turn off, but continue warning until the batteries protection kicks in. In my sweep there was no protected battery and I could see that the warning worked down to 2.7 volt.

Balder%20BD-4%20Medium.png

Medium has a good stabilization, when the battery is empty the light does not reduce brightness, but goes directly to warning.

Balder%20BD-4%20Low.png

Low also has a good stabilization, when the battery is empty the light starts the warning, but the warning is brighter than low.

Runtime.png

As seen in the voltage sweeps the light has a good stabilization. The step down in high when the batteries are empty can be seen, but it can only hold that for a short time, then it shows the battery warning and goes out. I would have preferred that it stepped down a bit sooner on high, giving a longer runtime before losing all light.

Balder%20BD-4%20Heat.png

I did a temperature test to see how well the light handles the heat from the led. This looks fine, the light will not have any heat problems in normal use.
Note: My test does not simulate actual usage conditions, but are done on a test bench with only the head of the light and no cooling airflow, i.e. the light will get hotter than during normal use.

sos.png

The sos uses a 0.13 second dot time and takes a total of 4.9 seconds to transmit. This is one of the faster sos sequences.

strobe.png

Strobe is 15 hz with 45% duty cycle.

MediumNoise.png

The light output on medium has some noise in it, but at a very fast frequency.

LowNoise.png

Low does also have noise in it, but at a lower frequency (The frequency is still too high to be visible).

[size=+3]Comparison to other Flashlights[/size]

ThruNite Scorpion, ThruNite Catapult V2 XM-L, JetBeam BC40:
DSC_9200a.jpg
DSC_9201a.jpg
DSC_9202a.jpg

JetBeam PA40, Balder BD-4, Eagletac M3C4 XM-L:
DSC_9203a.jpg
DSC_9204a.jpg
DSC_9205a.jpg

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here

[size=+3]Notes[/size]

The light was supplied by Balder for review.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another great review. HKJ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your time and effort. The voltage sweep graph shows lots of oscillations on high, med., and low mode at about 2.7~5.7V.

I'd like to know why the graph shows like that. :confused:

HKJ

Flashaholic
The voltage sweep graph shows lots of oscillations on high, med., and low mode at about 2.7~5.7V.

I'd like to know why the graph shows like that. :confused:

This is the low battery warning. The light is flashing when the battery is low and that gives the oscillations.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the low battery warning. The light is flashing when the battery is low and that gives the oscillations.

Thanks for the clear answer. I did just know to watch those graphs against the sun. It's very helpful. :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Review! This new light looks like the Big Bro of the jetbeam BC40, but with a bit more bling-bling and an extra 3rd mode. Kudos to their name, well researched and though of. :)