SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

Default Re: McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

is the haiku high cri tint much better than the hds high cri?

Shooter- I happen to have both (My last Ra...), output should be real close, the Ra is 100lm IIRC. I'll post a side by side tomorrow if nobody beats me to it... Gotta dig the Ra out, it's been mothballed for a while.

yeah i love hds torches, i have a clicky and rotary so i was going to get a high cri clicky but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about the mcgizmo

Hi guys,

The ones I have are Haiku XM-L, Haiku high CRI, and Mule high CRI. The one that I have the most issue switching modes is the XM-L. I use AW RCR 16340. When I tried a partly depleted primary measuring 2.97 volts, it is almost impossible to switch output. I have to keep clicking away many times before it start switching. On RCR, I get more successful results.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    is the haiku high cri tint much better than the hds high cri?
    yeah i love hds torches, i have a clicky and rotary so i was going to get a high cri clicky but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about the mcgizmo
    As the saying goes, tint is very subjective. I have both now and I like both. Moreover, the coming high CRI HDS rotary might not even be using the same SSC P4 emitter as the older high CRI clicky so nobody knows what it would be like. I think you will love the Haiku high CRI. It has a decent throw for something measuring about 70 to 90 lumen. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take photos of the beam these few days for your comparison due to my work schedule.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    As the saying goes, tint is very subjective. I have both now and I like both. Moreover, the coming high CRI HDS rotary might not even be using the same SSC P4 emitter as the older high CRI clicky so nobody knows what it would be like. I think you will love the Haiku high CRI. It has a decent throw for something measuring about 70 to 90 lumen. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take photos of the beam these few days for your comparison due to my work schedule.
    i heard the new high cri hds is going to have a XP-G emitter so its probly going to have even more output.

i heard the new high cri hds is going to have a XP-G emitter so its probly going to have even more output.
    I've read that too but until it really comes up no one can confirm for sure. Henry told me it's still going to be 100 lumen on burst. And also, since it take so long for the high CRI to be out I believe it could be because Henry is having doubts about using the much warmer Cree emitter? I think you made a good choice with the Haiku high CRI. You will love it.

Thumbs up Re: McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Don then expanded his offering to the XP-G, for the lovely "punchy flood" it delivers, as it was was described by one member. (PoliceScannerMan, I think?)
    Great write up!! The Haiku is a great light, that's why I own two.

And thanks for the shout out!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

i hope it is as warm or even warmer than my zebra light with the LUXEON Rebel emitter

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Great write up!! The Haiku is a great light, that's why I own two.

And thanks for the shout out!
    Thanks PSM! They are great, aren't they?!

And thank you for that perfect phrase to describe the XP-Gs beam pattern, I have used it several times around here. Sorry if I neglected to credit you at any other time, but I did now.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Enlightened

Man you guys are really making it hard on my marriage. .LOL!!!

That was a great write up nbp.

I have been debating over a HDS and a McGizmo for a while now

Now i will be saving like crazy to get me a Haiku! Might take a while but it sounds like it will be worth it.

you should get both

you should get both
    LOL! Ironically, I wanted to tell you that on my previous reply to you. Get the Haiku high CRI and wait for the HDS high CRI.

Okay folks... Here is my pair of beamshots from this morning. White printer paper, in order: First picture, "regular" cool Haiku XPG, high CRI Haiku head on E1e body, warm Haiku, high CRI Ra Clicky. Second picture, high CRI Haiku and high CRI Ra Clicky. The true beauty of the high CRI Haiku is the complete absence of tint. It does a superb job of representing colors as you really see them in daylight without making your eyes or brain compensate or adjust. Easy on the eyes, as it were... All have their place and are eminently useful lights, cool Haiku noticeably brighter indoors or out, warm is a bit softer and nicely tinted, but still skews colors, as does the Ra in comparison to the high CRI Haiku. I like, carry, and use all three Haikus.

interesting the high cri haiku looks more like an neutral tint. is it as soothing as a warm tinted high cri?

Not better or worse, just pleasantly different... My Sundrop is just as nice to use. I've run both the 119 and 083 LE's in my Mule, and in my subjective opinion, the 083 leans ever so slightly toward the warmer end of things. Both are fantastic. 119 is brighter, and can be focused with a reflector to give a traditional beam. Apples and oranges at that point, beam shape being completely different. Don has a great thread "High CR-I And It's Signifigance" which gives his views on the subject, (CR-I and tint) and great feedback from a bunch of other members.

Outstanding beam shot comparison, Scout. Even the camera can 'see' the absence of tint from the high CRI Haiku. You know how much I enjoy this light, and you are right - it's almost as if your brain doesn't have to 'work as hard' to process colors - they are just natural and easy to perceive.

Good job!

Thanks! I defer to your outstanding camera work, however... Though these two were a no-brainer given the subject matter...

Thanks for those shots Scout, they are a great addition to this thread!
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

You're too kind! Now all I need is an XM-L...

Not too much difference between the high CRI and the warm in the photo.... I have a warm and a high CRI Mule..... was contemplating a high CRI Haiku but perhaps I should just get a 6V XML for a bigger difference.
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Stoli- The warm is brighter, with a floodier beam, and it does a nice job. As per Don,your 119 Mule LE fits in and work fine in the warm's head and reflector, maybe swap them and see what you think?

I was thinking of that... perhaps a warm XPG mule might be good.... I have not pulled any of my McGizmos apart (as yet) perhaps the time has come!
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Nice photos, Scout24!

It really shows the difference between the tints.

Enlightened

Very nice Scout!!! I was thinking XP-G but that high CRI Haiku looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67
    I was thinking of that... perhaps a warm XPG mule might be good.... I have not pulled any of my McGizmos apart (as yet) perhaps the time has come!
    Yes, try it! I have a neutral XP-G Mule and it's really pleasant, especially for outdoor lighting tasks like around a campsite or bonfire or something. It's not a HI CRI emitter, but I find it does a pretty nice job with colors. Now that I think of it, that LE should fit fine in the Haiku. I haven't tried it but I should pop it in there and see how I like it. A neutral XP-G Haiku may be even nicer than the cool. It's also driven a little harder than the stock LEs too.

I put the neutral LE in the Haiku and ended up taking it out. Since it was a custom engine built by another member from the Shoppe, the board and emitter sit lower in the can rather than on top of it like on Don's LEs. So it didn't mate as well with the reflector. It's definitely usable, it's just more ringy, and I didn't feel like keeping it that way. Oh well. It does a great job in the EN Mule, and I'm not too picky about tints anyways so long as it's not purple or puke green. And neither the XP-G in my Haiku or the XM-L in my Ti Mule have those nasty tints so I tolerate the cool ones pretty well.

The real question is whether to mod my new McLuxx III T but that's a discussion for a different thread.

And how to get Don to build me a Hi CRI Sapphire Mule. But that's a discussion for another different thread.

Carry on men.

For those of you contemplating on Don's high CRI Haiku, wait no more. It truly is a very nice light. Don't be disheartened or discouraged by the lost in lumen because it isn't really that much of a difference. Compared it side by side to the XM-L and it doesn't look any much dimmer. On top of that, the nicer color rendition really makes it a much more useful light. I just love the combination of a Haiku high CRI and a Mule high CRI. One moderate throw and the other super smooth flood.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    And how to get Don to build me a Hi CRI Sapphire Mule. But that's a discussion for another different thread.
    If you succeed, let me know. I want one too.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    If you succeed, let me know. I want one too.
    He's ignoring my smilies in that thread. I don't think he wants to build more, but as I've said before, Patience is a virtue and Money talks. He'll crack.

I'm finally starting to get some wear on my Haiku and Mule where they rub together on my pocket. But you have to be looking for it. Man, I love Ti. It's so resilient, it just always looks good. It is a great EDC material. Very tough and NO coating to wear off.