No NiMH AA's in Stoplight?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
No NiMH AA\'s in Stoplight?

I just got my MM+ R2H sandwich today (thanks Wayne) and installed it in my Stoplight from CNC Dan. It didn't work initially due to the sandwich not fully seating in the head, but some careful filing took care of it.

Fired it up, and am very impressed with the package, very bright and white. Definite "wow" factor involved here!

Only problem is that I can't get any of my NiMH rechargeables to fit in the tubes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Alkalines fit nicely, lithiums are a "suction" fit, the rechargeables aren't even close. Kind of a bummer as this is what I was primarily intending on using in the Stoplight. Anyone else run into this issue?

Peter

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: No NiMH AA\'s in Stoplight?

This is probably due to a tight interior diameter of the light.

I'll bet you have high capacity (2000+ mAh) NiMH cells, right?

I can't get my 2000, 2100, 2200 or 2300 mAh NiMH into an older mini-Mag, although, they fit fine in a new one.

And also, I have 4 Chief_Wiggum's 4AA-to-D cell adaptors. I can't use four 2000+ mAh NiMH in my newer D cell Mags. I hear that the older D cell Mags are larger than the newer ones. Just the opposite of the AA situation.

Now, all of my 1600 mAh cells fit fine in all my lights. If you get some lower capacity cells, you can probably use them in the stoplight.
Perhaps 1800 or 1850 mAh would fit?
Maybe it could be bored out to a more serviceable diameter for the new, and upcoming cells?

I have two MadMax+ R2Hs, they are very bright & white.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply shankus. No luck with the lower capacity cells either, I tried some Nexcell 1600s and they don't fit either. Looks like I need to bore it out a little bit. Anyone have any tips on a "field expedient" way to do this. I don't think I've got the right tool for the job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Peter

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps Dan would bore it for you. I can't think of a way to do it at home myself.

I plan on using a brake hone to work on my single D cell Mags when I get them, so that I can use my high capacity cells in them.
But the diameter of a AA is too small for the brake hone I have.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
Thanks for the reply shankus. No luck with the lower capacity cells either, I tried some Nexcell 1600s and they don't fit either. Looks like I need to bore it out a little bit. Anyone have any tips on a "field expedient" way to do this. I don't think I've got the right tool for the job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]
May this will help:

I just purchased a 4 pack of Energizer 2100 mAh NimHs from Savon/Osco last night,

Using vernier calipers, I just measured my Duracell alkaline AAs at 14.2 mm diameter --and the new Energizer 2100s measure exactly the same diameter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Got a Savon store near you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do. I need to get about a dozen of them.
Do you remember how much they were?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
I do. I need to get about a dozen of them.
Do you remember how much they were?

[/ QUOTE ]
The ones I was referring to were $12.99 for a 4-pack.

p.s.-even though I've only gone thru 1 chg./dischg. cycle, I've noticed how very much superior to my old GP 1500s they really are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif BTW-they're made in Japan.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

vcal, thanks for the tip, but 14.2 isn't gonna work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The alkies I have here that fit are more like 13.93mm. The L91 Lithiums are 14.07 and they "just" make it.

Peter

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:vcal, thanks for the tip, but 14.2 isn't gonna work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The alkies I have here that fit are more like 13.93mm. The L91 Lithiums are 14.07 and they "just" make it. Peter

[/ QUOTE ]That is a bummer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif alright.-I thought you said above that an alkaline would fit...

-I'm curious as to just which brand of alkaline did fit in that light.... (??) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif