Streamlight TLR-1 saved a life last night

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
I know there are differing opinions of weapon mounted lights, but I am a huge advocate of them and last night it was worth it's weight in gold. Here's the story in a nutshell:

Call came out of a subject with a knife who had just pulled it on the caller (victim) and ran north from the area. I came into the area and located the suspect. I exited my patrol car, and approached with my duty weapon at the low ready. Suspect starts screaming at me at about 25 yards away, raises his right hand over his head, and charges at me screaming "Do it, *expletive*!" I can see he has something in his right hand as I immediately raise my weapon. I turn on my weapon mounted light and take a couple of steps back as he closes within about 15 yards. When I turn on the light, the suspect stops just long enough for me to see that what he is holding is a black pencil with metallic writing on it. I used a quick burst of OC spray and he started running south. After a brief foot pursuit, I tackled him like an NFL lineman and the incident was over.

Other LEO's might read this and raise various questions. Based on the call, his actions, his distance, demeanor, language, etc - a different officer may have fired and been completely justified. I chose not to, and in the end it worked out just fine.

In this instance, my weapon mounted light saved the suspect's life. He reacted to the light by stopping, and in doing so it enabled me to identify what the object was in his hand. Turns out he is a psych patient off his meds who we were able to petition into the psych ward rather than the morgue.

Ironically, the pencil came from our police department and the metallic writing had our department name on it.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much respect and blessings to you!

Bravery, Level headedness, Preparation...
You have it all.

An LEO with only two of the above qualities would very likely have shot the guy.

fyrstormer

Banned
Thanks for handling that situation the way you did. I've never behaved remotely like that guy did, but if I were ever mentally distressed enough that I were to behave that way, I'd like to have the chance to recover from it and feel like a dumbass for it instead of bleeding to death on the sidewalk.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this instance, my weapon mounted light saved the suspect's life. He reacted to the light by stopping, and in doing so it enabled me to identify what the object was in his hand. Turns out he is a psych patient off his meds who we were able to petition into the psych ward rather than the morgue.

Thank you very much for your decisions in that situation. I am glad to hear your story; it helps me feel hope that most cops aren't simply out to 'let their bully out' as some of my other colleagues in psychology say... Your decisions and actions seem to be an unfortunate minority amongst most LEO's these days, so thank you for choosing to do what you did. I hope your actions serve as an example to other officers as well.

Thanks for handling that situation the way you did. I've never behaved remotely like that guy did, but if I were ever mentally distressed enough that I were to behave that way, I'd like to have the chance to recover from it and feel like a dumbass for it instead of bleeding to death on the sidewalk.

Agreed. We all have times in our lives where we start to wonder if it's really worth it to keep going on... My colleagues in clinical psych all say that such behavior is a cry for help, and that the person who does those things is desperate for it. People who really DO want to kill themselves just do, they don't try to get a cop to do it for them, or they try to do it in a public place like a bridge or a building, where they're likely to be seen and stopped, to get the help they so desperately want and need. Cap-Nemo's actions certainly made that happen for that unfortunate person.

richpalm

Banned
You saved the guy's life... the light was just the tool in very capable hands!

He might have been trying for "suicide by cop." You did good-if it was me I probably would've fired.

Rich

fyrstormer

Banned
Agreed. We all have times in our lives where we start to wonder if it's really worth it to keep going on... My colleagues in clinical psych all say that such behavior is a cry for help, and that the person who does those things is desperate for it. People who really DO want to kill themselves just do, they don't try to get a cop to do it for them, or they try to do it in a public place like a bridge or a building, where they're likely to be seen and stopped, to get the help they so desperately want and need. Cap-Nemo's actions certainly made that happen for that unfortunate person.
Well, there's that, but there's also the fact that the brain isn't one coherent organ like people believe it is; complex behaviors arise from multiple parts of the brain operating more-or-less in-sync with each other, and if that synchronization breaks down (or was never properly developed in the first place, or is dependent on conscious suppression of reflexes), all kinds of strange misbehavior can arise, especially if the person is suffering from trauma of some sort. Once that trauma is dealt with, either on a psychological or physiological level, their behavior should return to normal. That's why the concept of "temporary insanity" exists. I'm a pretty level-headed person, in real life even if not so much online, and if I were to charge a police officer with the apparent intent to stab them, there would have to be several parts of my brain malfunctioning at once. I would much prefer to have the chance to recover from an episode such as that, as opposed to being put out of my misery with a bullet.

Thanks again to the threadstarter for using the minimum necessary force instead of the maximum justifiable force.

Last edited:

gunnerdog

Newly Enlightened
Wow, great story. I am glad it turned out well for all involved. I have been going back and forth on getting a TRL-1 for my nightstand weapon for some time now, and haven't for one reason...

I need to be able to shine my light at something without pointing my weapon at it. Lets face it, most investigations into "bumps in the night" result in discovering that a squirrel is running accross the roof, or the holly tree is scraping against the gutter, or the neighbors kids are setting off fireworks... I like to have both hands on my weapon, but if i need to cary a second light anyway, then the benefit is just not there for the TRL. For a LEO it makes sense (and you probably have a secondary flashlight on your duty belt anyway).

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a great story. What a cool, level head you have - I so wish that the, shall we say, "questionable" people who enjoy verbally abusing the police would read this. I can't add to the great comments that have already been made, so I'll simply say "Thank you" - for your service, and your good sense!!

:twothumbs:twothumbs

device manager

Newly Enlightened
Awesome story with a happy ending. I have a TLR-1s @ 9 o'clock on my AR, and this thread is confirmation that I made a solid choice. Thanks Capt. Nemo!

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect example of experience over training. I'll take the former any day over the latter. Thanks for doing your job very well.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Good job, I can't imagine how much better it is now with lights like your Steamlight. 15 years ago an officer with a 4D mag might have made a good decision at the time given the information he had. Then after the justified shooting found a pencil. WOW.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather my life be in your hands than someone who's too shaky to evaluate the situation like you did. Excellent work!