ArmyTek
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Quark AAX

Flashaholic

Default Re: Custom Quark AAX

I also have built this config with the Neutral white 2AA X head and this is the perfect EDC light. I just need to know how reliable this thing is since I've had a string of problems with my past quarks and in fact one of the two quark 2AA X I ordered was DOA. I get 50 minutes runtime on mine with an AW14500 on max which is pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonprophet View Post
    This is my EDC--can't think of a better setup. Well, ok, it would be nice if 47's sold the XML head by itself.......lol. NP
    I agree...felt like a bit of a waste to have to buy the AA^2 light just for the head lol but at least now I have a AAx2 spare cell tube lol. I should have got the turbo flat tail cap...didn't realize how much I candle my lights til I started thinking about it...mostly in the morning when at the sink since I don't want to blind myself with the room light....and the tail cap is only $12

Quote Originally Posted by Tommygun45 View Post
    Somehow find myself carrying it more than my Rotary now. Its just so light you can hardly tell its there.

HDS Rotary?? ...... Sacrilege

Quote Originally Posted by abbarach View Post
    ... I really like being able to run single (or double) AA's when necessary as well....
    Make sure you don't put 2x14500s in that sucker.

Flashaholic

How much lumens does the 14500 Quark X produce?? Is it mindblowing compared to the 2AA config??

Quote Originally Posted by SuLyMaN View Post
    How much lumens does the 14500 Quark X produce?? Is it mindblowing compared to the 2AA config??
    Output should be the same as the low voltage head has a buck and boost circuit to maintain output within the 0.9-4.2v range. Expect 280 lumens on either setup.

Quote Originally Posted by SuLyMaN View Post
    It sounds like it might give it a bump due to the voltage increase. Check out THIS thread.

this may be a dumb question, but with e single 14500 on the AA Quark "X", are we basically looking at a programmable Xeno E03? I'm assuming output is the exact same but perhaps less floody given the same battery types and tints?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

I just put together this setup, but with the low voltage head from a 2xAA Quark X Tactical (cool white) on a 1 x AA tube with the deep carry clip and tactical tail. I also snagged a Hi CRI low voltage head on a clipless 123 body, so there are quite a few lego options (until I sell off the 2 xAA tube...)

The little 14500 Quark lego now alternates with my Surefire E1B for casual/work EDC. The Hi CRI will be going out in the woods with me this year.

I'm thinking about picking up a neutral low voltage Quark, or a High CRI 2 x CR123a. Decisions, decisions.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    (until I sell off the 2 xAA tube...)
    Keep the AA^2 tube... Makes a great spare battery container.

Quote Originally Posted by bfksc View Post
    Output should be the same as the low voltage head has a buck and boost circuit to maintain output within the 0.9-4.2v range. Expect 280 lumens on either setup.
    Pretty much my experience with an AW 14500 - about the same output as using 2xAA (NiMH)
    The nicest thing about not planning for a disaster is that it comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression

Quark AA w/14500 is significantly brighter, i would say about 15-20% brighter when compared to running two AA Eneloops to one 14500 cell. A newly charged 14500 is 4.2 volts, the eneloop at full charge is about 2.4-2.6 volts total for both cells so by those numbers alone, you can have an idea how much brighter the 14500 cell will be.

I didn't even know I can run my Quark AA X with an 14500. I wasn't planning on doing that (due to lack of knowledge) when I ordered mine a week ago and I was already wondering how I could love the 2xAA version even more. Make it shorter with more output! WOOT!
    "Do not Weep. I shall draw all Things which perish into myself When I am lifted from the Earth." ~ Begotten (1991)

And the AA^2 tube makes a the perfect [Lego-able] spare batt container!

This thread is going to cost me money.... and I was perfectly happy with my EDC until now... *banging head on the wall smiley*

Flashaholic

I have a Quark AA X (Tactical) running off a 14500.. Just ordered an AA Turbo to run off 1 x RCR123.. Both were under $50 each! I love clearance prices and lego-ability.

Question - I've always wanted a Turbo "X", but I avoid 123's while traveling (doesn't work for me where I go). Is there any reason why I couldn't mate a Turbo X head with a AA^2 body (the one leftover from building the light in this thread) and run it on a pair of 14500's?

(I like the 14500's because they would be intercompatible with the EDC light, no need to carry and maintain two battery standards)

woohoo, mine came today

There are probably (ok not probably, certainly) better EDC lights out there for the same price or more $, but this one perfectly fits my needs at any price, I'm happy.

Rather than paying $18 for a just an AA body, I figured I would just pay $24 more and get an R5 head and switch included

Fenix diffuser ended up going on the R5 head to tame the hotspot a bit, that light will probably go on the nightstand.

Flashaholic*

Bumping up and old thread
    Anyone do this with the Turbo X AA^2 head?

Default Custom Quark AAX

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Bumping up and old thread
    Anyone do this with the Turbo X AA^2 head?
    There's a Turbo AA2 (XPG) or Turbo X (2 CR123), but no Turbo X AA2...