Custom Quark AAX

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Last week I bought a new Quark AA2X, an AA body, deep pocket clip, AW14500 battery, and on a whim also got a Fenix diffuser. This is the result of merging them all together.

006.jpg

007.jpg

I compared it with my Quark 123*2 and my Turbo X. It can do everything my 123*2 can, but better and in a more compact form. The additional lumens is most certainly noticeable. As for light output, to the eye it appears to put out the same amount of light as my Turbo X, just more flood and less throw obviously. Loving this new light and it will most certainly be my new EDC. :) The diffuser adds a really nice option as well.

On a side note, while waiting for the 14500 to charge up I threw in a standard Energizer AA and I have to say I was VERY impressed. The 14500 certainly produces more light, but I won't ever feel this light is completely handicapped if I need to run AA's for whatever reason. Great/flexible all around EDC.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice :thumbsup:. I'll bet that diffuser really adds a nice touch when more flood is needed. I'm finishing up my Quark X AA-2 review, and if I have time, I'd like to do OTF runtime testing with my single AA body and AW 14500 IMR cell.

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Nice! I was wondering how good those new Quark "X" are. In 2aa format do you feel like their 280 lumen claim is accurate?

How bright would you guesstimate the max is in 1x14500 format?

Nice setup you got there, that diffuser looks nifty.

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the diffuser really adds a nice touch. Truthfully I'm finding I use it quite a bit indoors navigating a night as I really like the way it smooths out the light. As for the lumen claim, I would say 280 is accurate on 2 AA's. As for the 14500, it noticeably ups the ante, but to what I'm not sure. I believe the Turbo X is listed at 450 and like I stated, I can't tell the two apart when doing a ceiling bounce test. I don't have a light sphere though for actual numbers.

Wrend

Enlightened
I recently picked up a Quark AA Tactical R5 (Cree XP-G) and was thinking about getting the AA² body.

Now, thanks to this thread...

...I'll have to get the Quark "X" AA² Tactical, switch out the heads, and run the "X" on a 14500 and the R5 on 2 AA Eneloops. :thumbsup:

Wrend

Enlightened
Actually, It would be slightly more than double on the R5 light (remember, I was thinking about getting the AA² body for it anyway), unless you mean for the same small AA/14500 body size. Yes, I realize that one of the new lights wouldn't run for very long on max output, but it would be 3 times as bright for the same small size as the light I have now (I'm just using an AA Eneloop in it now). But don't forget, I could always turn it down to a lower mode for longer run times, if I wanted to, though it wouldn't be as efficient as the R5.

I have to admit that I'd be giving in to the guilty pleasure of the "wow factor" in having such a small, bright light.

The AA² R5 would be more of the utility/EDC type of light for me.

On the other hand, maybe you were addressing the OP?

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats with the pocket rocket right there! :)

But what i'd like to see is a Quark X head on an 18650 body... im sure the run times there would be spectacular! provided the heat generated doesnt burn out the LED first. :devil:

Last edited:

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
congrats with the pocket rocket right there! :)

But what i'd like to see is a Quark X head on an 18650 body... im sure the run times there would be spectacular! provided the heat generated doesnt burn out the LED first. :devil:

I'd just like to see an 18650 body. It's my current white whale sadly. If I ever lay my hands on one, I'll put my Turbo X head on it and call it a delightful day.

If the run time drop was directed at me, I knew full well what I was getting into. I bought the AA2X because it was the only way currently to get the head I needed for this build in mind. It goes in the parts bin and maybe will come out if I ever need run time over lumen count.

Wrend

Enlightened
Out of curiosity, would you be willing to do a run time test on a fully charged AW14500 on max output mode for us?

I hear the Li-Ion cell runs more efficiently than the AAs because of the Li-Ion's higher voltage. I'm assuming the higher output is still going to drain it faster, but I don't know how much faster.

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
Quark X head on 1AA body+AW14500=the ultimate EDC!!! I've got everything but the 14500's which should be here Wednesday......

I also just ordered a Quark X Turbo (450 OTF lumens for $68!!!!) and I'll be curious to compare the AA X and the Turbo X once I get the turbo.

NP

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
Quark X head on 1AA body+AW14500=the ultimate EDC!!! I've got everything but the 14500's which should be here Wednesday......

I also just ordered a Quark X Turbo (450 OTF lumens for $68!!!!) and I'll be curious to compare the AA X and the Turbo X once I get the turbo.

NP
As long as you also carry a spare AA battery (or backup light) when the 14500 abruptly shuts off due to it's protection circuit.

I love my Quarks, except it aggravates me when the light goes from bright to nothing with a 14500. I usually EDC my Mini AA2 instead, but wish it had the moonlight mode of it's big brother. That would be my MY ultimate EDC. :)

kreisler

Banned
Hi, so 1x Protected 14500 (e.g. flamed TrustFire 900mAh) fit into this config, they are not too long? (they are ~1.0mm longer than Alkaline AAA)
And the Fenix diffuser kit (the diffuser tip, traffic wand, lantern etc.) fits too?

The Fenix LD20's head diameter is 21.5mm, whereas (as i read somewhere) the Quark's head is 22.0mm.
And what is the total length and weight please?

i need to compare this setup of with a LD10 (As everybody knows, LD10 R5 can be run on 14500's as well. People do it all the time. It's less bright than XML LED's but has tactical momentary on..)

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are, obviously, sacrificing run time in a pretty big way though :)

I've been on a 14500, 750mah kick myself. It can always be backed up by an AA battery in a pinch. I like the 4" long AA format lights. On the other hand, a Quark 123 2 - 17670, 1600mah battery is only 1/2" longer and offers double the run time. Maybe boring an AA body to accept a 17500 @ 1100 mah would be the highest runtime that can still use an AA battery if needed.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
boring an AA body?

If the models have not been modified considerably to the one I have for a year or so, I would really be interrested who can bore a Quark AA body
;)

Blue Angel

Newly Enlightened

NP

Did you ever get this comparison done? Very interested in your findings!

Blue Angel

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity, would you be willing to do a run time test on a fully charged AW14500 on max output mode for us?

Yes, what he said!

I was looking to do exactly what you've done... the low voltage XM-L head (maybe a neutral?) on a AA body running 14500's and backing up with AA Eneloops. You beat me to it, and nice touch with the difuser! I have a Turbo X already but the head is very large and the beam is very throwy. I'd like something a bit more diffuse as an all-purpose light.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
This thread inspired me. I had my AA2X on the market and was going to get a ZL but instead ordered another aa body (Id sold one a few months back) and will now run the aa with my xml neutral head. Cant wait. How is that diffuser holding up btw? Any issues with it? And where'd you get it from? I can only seem to find white ones.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
I now have this setup (AA X on 14500) and I love it. I have the tactical UI and I'm debating doing the same with the regular UI but getting a tactical switch for that too.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to find out the Fenix diffuser fits the Quark. Have to get me one of them. Though the Quark X is very floody as is.